main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Now that it's out, what's the impact of RO to new Anthology films

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by ObidioJuan, Dec 15, 2016.

?

What influence will RO have in setting the benchmark for new SW films?

Poll closed Jan 4, 2017.
  1. None, each director will make their own style of movie

12 vote(s)
    34.3%
  2. Some influence, the new movies will take some elements and incorporate them into their movies

18 vote(s)
    51.4%
  3. A lot, directors and/or Disney-LFL will adopt RO as a template for future films

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    Now that the movie is out and it's starting to look like a very strong first installment in the Anthology series, what do you think the impact will be to future films (anthology or episode) if any?

I was wondering if LFL/Disney will take a huge box-office success of RO and influence future films to copy or maintain the style of RO in the Han Solo or other Anthologies.

And for that matter would EPVIII turn more into a war movie (gritty style) depending on the box office for RO?

2. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    I think a big positive is that RO really does seem to nail the world of the OT, moreso than I think any SW released since the originals although I spose you could argue the prequels were going for something rather different. Still I think many people wondered whether it could really be done yet I would say Edwards has shown it can be.

I actually think that's perhaps the key issue moving forward, if the world can be recreated well then you have nearly unlimited potential for future films since the OT era very deliberately leaves so many holes in its world to fill. Its not a setting where your having to struggle to shoehorn in events and constantly rework things to do so as the wider conflict was always really in the background.

3. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I really hope not much is added from Rogue One to VIII, especially not the grimdark mood and that everyone is grey/dark. [face_worried]

csalad and Dory Vader like this.
  4. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    VIII is possibly darker than VII but probably not RO-level or there are no main characters left in IX :p

I think Rogue One doesn't effect much to other anthology films but there may be some connections there like same characters, places etc.

5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    "Oh wait... crap, why did we do that?! Now what?" :p

To be fair, though, the question was about future Anthology movies.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  6. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    Michael Giacchino will be tapped to do the score for other SW spin-off flicks..

Episode VIII is already in post-production, and Disney would have to be REALLY CRASS to make Rian Johnson re-shoot parts of the film to make it more like R1. And John Williams supposedly began scoring the movie this week

7. Iamnoone

Iamnoone Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 23, 2015
    From my point of view if the Anthology films are not slightly different from the Saga films then what is the point?

Whilst taking a lot of risks with the tone, Rogue One still is closely linked to the Saga and has pretty much widespread SW fandom interest. Are LFL ever going to make a movie that only 50% of the fanbase is really interested in? I keep seeing KOTOR being referenced and to me that would be super ballsy on their part as it would not interest the general public as much.

Does every film have to be a big massive blockbuster, or can we have smaller very niche entries in Star Wars?

8. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Kotor-kind of movie set in SW-galaxy but different era before the saga would be extremely interesting IMO.

jedinightwing and Ricardo Funes like this.
  9. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    EPVIII is exactly a year away. Plenty of time for a few pick-up takes, re-editing, re-touching CGI, ADR changes.

A lot can be changed without a need for extensive re-shoots and re-writes. Sometimes they change the movies after the first pre-screenings!

Anyway, I'm not saying they will do this, only that they could do it theoretically.

I personally hope that the other Anthology directors bring their own vision (while following the in-universe rules and not contradicting the story), that they use their own style for composition and editing but the look/feel of the locales, aliens and ships feels that it comes from the same universe. Kind of how Fantastic Beasts fits within the HP universe even though it's set 70 years removed and in NY.

10. MS1

MS1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I thought RO really worked and it did so cause it could introduce new characters into a story we all knew without changing our perception of the OT, it added to it. The risk of the Han Solo movie is so much greater due to the potential of disappointing everyone who knows Harrison Ford as Han. I'm hoping it will be great but I think it risks disappointment from the actor simply not being Ford. Personally I would have preferred an Obiwan spin off with Ewan McGregor playing an older and naturally aged Jedi after ROTS and being allowed to act to his ability etc.

11. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Episodic films should stay conservative and abide by the guidelines and anthology films should be more experimental, but also retain a classic Star Wars feel.

Avnar, nightangel and 11-4D like this.
  12. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    This was really the question from the beginning. Does a success or a failure of RO really change any plans going forward? If it flopped did it mean that every anthology movie was going to be a young _____, or if it is successful does it mean the same thing?

I don't think it is going to have any impact on what is already slated. I think that Ep 8 has a very clear direction already (which getting off topic a bit is supposedly very much already a "darker" movie). I think Han Solo has a very clear direction already. I imagine that the preliminary work they've done on 9 has a set direction and depending on what the 2020 movie ends up being there could already be a great deal of work done on that. I don't think any of that is going to change.

The problem is that we still don't really have a pattern. We're talking about the "huge BO" and I'm sure that Disney/LFL is super happy, but it could still end up being the weakest of the new movies. Ep 8 interest from an anecdotal perspective is much higher than it was for R1. If R1 got this what does 8 look like? What does Han end up looking like? It could really be that when all is said and done R1 is a flop compared to those (yes I'm just using flop in a hyperbolic manner) and it would have been foolish to use it as a yard stick of any kind for the future movies. Hindsight is 20-20.

I'd say that reactionary outlook is what gets franchises into trouble. With SW and LFL it very much seems to be that they've got a long game in place, and I don't think we're going to see much change down the road because of the success of R1. Honestly if it was going to be that way they'd be changing everything to fit with TFA, which was the concern of a lot of fans prior to getting what we got for R1.

13. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I think R1 sets the bench mark high for future spin-offs so it will give the directors food for thought cause they are going to have to up their game......

Avnar and EviL_eLF like this.
  14. Pondscum

Pondscum Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 10, 2014
    Given that the next movie is Han Solo, I can't imagine Rogue One being much of a template. The look and tone of it suited this story, but I think Solo is going to be a more colourful, humorous affair.

The main carry over might be the approach to the titles. I hope they keep the 'a long time ago..' into cold open, but I didn't like the classic-lite approach to the main title. Felt a bit awkward and jarring, especially compared to what we're used to.

15. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015

1000 times THIS ^^^

The Old Republic has characters equally or even more interesting than the current era characters.

Darkslayer likes this.
  16. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    The Rebellion gets some grit to it. They can be nasty, and cowardly, and Brave, and divided.

Swashbucklingjedi likes this.
  17. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    still haven't seen it but with all the connections of the pt and ot this film seems like the connective tissue between those trilogies. it makes a much more seamless transition than us seeing vader newly built and not fighting. hopefully it will soften pt haters more to the pt.

18. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016

I didn't find it grimdark. Many of the deaths are beautiful moments of self-sacrifice, and then we end with the angelic figure of Leia. I thought it was a very hopeful film, and perfectly suited to the worrying times we live in, where dark ethno-nationalist trends are on the rise.

19. Noir Deux

Noir Deux Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 27, 2015
    I think that these Anthology movies are for the fans and casual sci-fi movie fans.

I felt like I was watching an extended episodes of Rebels but with real characters, not that I'm complaining, I loved R1, but I felt like it lacks some substance/soul/deep factor that the episodic movie have, this is an extra but we can really live out without R1, and I think that's their main purpose, to add a little depth to the episodic movies and nothing more.

Maybe because we already knew the outcome of the movie but I think that these Anthology movies will work at their best when they're more spin-offish, like before of E1 or maybe between E6-E7, I wonder what will the Han Solo movie bring that surprises us?
    If we already know what happens with him, Lando, Chewie, Jabba, the Empire and the MF.

20. Dreamer_Sith

Dreamer_Sith Jedi Knight

Dec 9, 2010
    I really am interested to see what the Han Solo film is going to look like now. After seeing Rogue One, which literally is like ANH.5 , and continues the tradition of big space battles and the major battle of good versus evil, our next spin-off film, without any major information out, looks to be focusing on a single character (or two, since I doubt they'll leave out Chewie). We know Han isn't a bad guy, but he's pretty much in the gray area until he joins the Rebellion. I just can't wait to see if we'll actually be looking at a smaller SW film, or if I'm not looking at the big picture.

21. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    It confuses the hell out of what the purpose is of the Anthology movies.

Don't get me wrong, I thought Rogue One was amazing. I'm still just floored from it and trying to process it all from when I walked out of the theater an hour ago. But the big impression it left me with was that it is absolutely in the chronology of Episodes 1-7 now. You simply cannot watch the saga chronologically and not include Rogue One between Episodes 3 and 4.

Which leaves me with the question of how much each anthology movie is going to be part of the chronological saga. Because I thought the stated purpose of the anthologies was to be separate from the main saga storyline but be stories within that universe. So it makes me wonder, can we just go with some being part of the chronology and some not? Or will there be a pattern as to which ones are and aren't? I hope it doesn't become a scattered mess over the years as only certain anthologies fit the main chronological timeline and others do not and that it seems to just happen at random.

Maylander likes this.
  22. tsn81

tsn81 Jedi Master star 1

May 8, 2002
    How could the Anthology movies not be part of the chronology? They were always meant to be "canon". So regardless of being set before, after or between the main Saga movies, they are always meant to be part of the chronology.

I guess the main point was that Anthology movies wont be following the Skywalker-family, but filling the gaps between the main movies. But if you want to get the full SW experience when rewatching the movies, you will need to include Anthology movies in appropriate places. Like watching the Rogue One between Ep3 and Ep4.

23. Dreamer_Sith

Dreamer_Sith Jedi Knight

Dec 9, 2010

When he says "not be part of chronology", I think he means it more as a film you can skip watching the saga, and go back to at any time and still make sense. Rogue One both is and isn't one of these films. It fits very neatly into a place, but it works so well to enhance A New Hope, it is almost required viewing between Episode III and IV. I'm not saying you can't, I mean it just now exists and we've gone ten years without it, but now that it does, it feels right to include it.

RO aside, I think the others won't be quite the same as they may not be as important. I just can't imagine the Han Solo film to have some major importance to the galaxy. It'll be great for the character, but not so necessary. A film with the Bothans, before RotJ, that may or may not be a film that feels required. Anything made post-RotJ, pre-TFA could potentially feel required, but it all depends on the content.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  24. tsn81

tsn81 Jedi Master star 1

May 8, 2002
    For a completist like myself all SW movies will be "required viewing". So in my opinion they will all fit the chronology.

For example it is always difficult for me to rewatch just one Marvel movie, like Captain America or Thor. I always feel the need to start with the Iron Man and go on from there. Every movie in correct order. Luckily I dont have too much issues with leaving tv-series out from my rewatches. Otherwise I would need to watch all the Agents of Shield and other MCU tv-series in correct places.

25. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    That's exactly what I mean. Maybe chronology wasn't quite the right term. What I meant was the main plot and storyline told in Episodes 1-7 thus far. Rogue One falls right into it and is an integral part. So much so that you simply can't watch the saga chronologically without it. Whereas, think of the hundreds of (once canon) expanded universe stories that that took place in the SW universe but were obviously outside the main storyline and could be understood completely independent of it. That is what I though the purpose of the anthology movies was going to be. And again, I absolutely don't mind RO being a part of the main storyline, but it just makes me wonder if it's going to be hit or miss in terms of which anthology movies fit the main storyline and which ones won't.