main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Now that it's out, what's the impact of RO to new Anthology films

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by ObidioJuan, Dec 15, 2016.

?

What influence will RO have in setting the benchmark for new SW films?

Poll closed Jan 4, 2017.
  1. None, each director will make their own style of movie

12 vote(s)
    34.3%
  2. Some influence, the new movies will take some elements and incorporate them into their movies

18 vote(s)
    51.4%
  3. A lot, directors and/or Disney-LFL will adopt RO as a template for future films

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Dreamer_Sith

Dreamer_Sith Jedi Knight

Dec 9, 2010

Like I understand the thinking, and if it works for you, then great. Depending on the mood I'm in though, I could see watching I-III, RO, IV-VII (or VII, or IX etc.), and slotting in any other I felt were necessary, unless I was doing an entire film franchise watch. Theoretically though, I couldn't see myself all the time watching KOTOR 1 and 2 (not real, but possibly some day) I-III , Han Solo, Boba Fett, Darth Vader, RO, IV, V, Shadows of the Empire, VI, (insert 6 more films here), VII etc. As it stand though, Rogue One now seems like a necessary addition to a saga viewing in my opinion, while any others I don't see as being so far.

Exactly. Only a couple like Dark Forces (aka the original Rogue One) or Shadows of the Empire fell neatly enough that they could be considered necessary, but still were completely optional.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  2. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    I surprisingly liked Rogue One and I also don't have anything against grey characters, but I can understand that its tone doesn't suit everyone. And that's not a bad thing, this large fandom is very diverse.
    But I doubt that the saga movies will ever become grimdark, the most dark ones are ROTS and TESB and I don't think VIII will become darker than these two. But I do think that some of Rogue One's worldbuilding could show up in VIII or IX.

- Jedha is destroyed now, but a mention is entirely possible.
    - Kyber crystals. Technically not a R1 concept because they previously appeared in Clone Wars and Rebels, but for most of the general audience, it was their first introduction to them. I still have the dream that we could see Rey assembling a new lightsaber.
    - Vader's castle on Mustafar. Given Kylo's Vader obsession, it would not surprise me if it shows up in the Sequel Trilogy. Now that I think of it, it would be the perfect place for the final confrontation between Luke/Rey and Kylo/Snoke in IX. Lucas' original concept for IX was that Luke would fight the Emperor on a lava planet, and they could reuse this old concept. I would be all for it.
    - I have to say, I was really impressed by CGI Tarkin and Leia (especially Tarkin because he had more screentime). I can't understand the complaints that the effects were worse, jarring and cartoonish. I think it was really well made and I would like to see this technology in future movies. We then could still have a flashback to a younger Luke training padawans at his temple in the ST.

3. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Definitely set a very high standard!

Blue 5 likes this.
  4. Vespasian

Vespasian Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    We are going to have even more fan service and references to the Original Trilogy.

I'm worried that the Anthology films will be stuck in the Empire/OT era, especially if Disney continues them with the Boba Fett and Kenobi films. At some point we should move on, because I'm getting oversaturated (I no longer read the new comics for that very reason). I liked Rogue One as well as the old Shadows of the Empire story which also filled in the blanks, but I want to explore other eras and places.

5. Maylander

Maylander Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 27, 2016

I agree. Since it wasn't a part of the "saga" as such, I was expecting the plot to be more on the side (similar to Rebels). However, it's basically SW4 now, with ANH being SW5, as it's integral to the main story. Not really sure what sets the anthology movies apart from the saga now. It might be the whole "no Skywalkers" thing, but technically there is one in Rogue One..

ObidioJuan and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  6. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I wish the next anthology film followed similar formula that Rouge One had, instead of being a han solo origin story.

I don't see big space battles working for a han solo film, and the film is going to follow Han, Chewie and Lando, 3 dudes we know will survive it. One of the things appealing about Rouge one is the new cast, we did not know that everybody from rouge one crew would die.

The clone wars would have been better grounds to make 2nd anthology, a good excuse to make another war based one. While we could have new CIS villains, it is also a chance to see Grievous in action. CGI techniques could be used to give Dooku a cameo. Could focus on a crew of clone commandos. That period even has the benefit of fan service Jedi. While I wouldn't want a young Obiwan nor Anakin to appear as main characters (cameos would be fine), people do enjoy seeing Jedi in action. Paring a Jedi (who is also a new character) with a clone group could work.

A film set in the old republic era could also deal with war and all new faces.

Im really glad we got to see that KoToR style ship in Rouge One. Lets........hope....we see more of them again......in their prime days of the old republic on film.

7. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    This is nice addition and makes entire Alliance seem bit more realistic. Rebellions are usually divided and many times rebels end up fighting each other as well as the enemy they are rebelling against.

8. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    This film should be a success and it looks like the reviews are mainly positive.

So the impact of that is that it should give them the confidence in the anthology films to be able to try something different yet retain that classic SW feel.

It should also show them that its good to have villains that are villainous and not comedic and cartoony.

9. Trikuza23

Trikuza23 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 10, 2015
    The worlldbuilding was great! The force awakens planets seemed really earthly and pretty barren to me. I loved the massive sprawling cities full of aliens and stuff in Rogue one.

Darth_Voider likes this.
  10. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    Reading some of the comments got me also thinking.

Is RO now going to be re-named Episode 3.5 or Episode 3.9?

The story is basically a prologue to Episode IV and it flows nicely as part of the saga. While not integral you could argue that RO starts right in between (time-wise), EP III and IV. I.E. little Jyn.

I wonder if now the Han Solo movie will focus on the Battle of Taanab and Lando's maneuver?

11. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    [​IMG]

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  12. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    I think they approach each differntly. This movie was heavy on soldiers and war so the tone suited that. The Lego movie duo are involved with Han Solo and Lando and are far more comedic than any Star Wars writers to date. The Lego movie was hilarious at times and they're great with dialogue. It's hard to imagine Han and Lando not being very different in tone and far more comedic overall. It will still entertain and thrill but you don't hire the Lego movie guys to do A Chris Nolan-ish movie. Han and Lando could very well begin like a bromance comedy at first with Guardians tone initially and then end closer to regular Star Wars terrain once the danger mounts.

13. HaloWithStyle

HaloWithStyle Jedi Master star 2

May 11, 2015
    I can't see how a Han Solo could possibly live up to Rogue One. I still think it's a very poor idea for an anthology movie.

Blue 5 and jakeskywalker65 like this.
  14. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015

Not at all, it will be a character film rather than a war film. It will work wonders with the general public.

15. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I want a different composer for every film. How cool would it be to tap a spaghetti western style score for Han Solo?

16. MoffJacob

MoffJacob Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2015
    I hope they will keep making at least one anthology film every three years after 2019-2020

17. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
    The bar has been set extraordinarily high. Not just for anthologies, but for the saga as well.

18. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014

Totally agree. I think the Han Solo movie is going to show just how versatile Star Wars movies can be. It will have action and Star Wars effect but it will also be really funny. Look what Lord and Miller did with 21 Jump Street and the Lego Movie. No way either of those should work -- or so you'd think - they are both great movies that are fun, have adventure, great character development with heart, and are hilarious humor. Not mention massively rewatchable. I don't think their approach is what a lot of people think they want in a Han Solo movie, but it's just what everyone needs.

Also Jake Kasdan is writing the movie with his Dad. Jake wrote Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story which is another hugely funny and smart movie that is so much better than it had any right to be.

I'm looking forward to this movie and whatever other movies are coming our way with fresh takes on the Star Wars universe.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  19. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Maybe too high...? (If there is such a thing) I honestly never thought a film could touch Empire - But damn RO comes close! I honestly don't see how they could do better than this as it's almost perfect :cool: RO actually destroyed how I felt about TFA. It's soooo linear in comparison to RO. There is so much going on in every frame! God I hope they get GE onboard again

20. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014

AGREED! The look of Rogue One is exception. I like the movie more each time I see it. I hope we get a few more movies before Edwards returns, unless he helms one of the Saga films.

My hope is the Anthology Films come at Star Wars and movie making with totally different approaches that create movies with different tones, looks, and styles. Things that will appeal to very different audiences, and not just target the traditional Star Wars crowd. But at the same time be really fresh and inventive. Let a bunch of different filmmakers play in the Star Wars universe and see what they bring.

It would be great to see GE return again.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  21. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    The thing i loved the most is that they (being fair) kept about 70% of the things we are used to from the OT and then added about 30% of new stuff! It worked for me perfectly because I must admit the PT felt soooo different i couldn't picture them (the films) in the same world as the OT. The ST obviously needs to be looked at once complete...but unfortunately I think it is starting to waver. TFA was a good start but RO went hell for leather! Imagine how much better TFA would have been with some of the new Rebel and Imperial designs instead of the Apple iPod FO. And the Resistance designs are flat out boring haha but like I said it was a fine effort!

22. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Ep 8 looks like it will delve a good deal into the nature of The Force, and I think Rogue did some of the initial work in letting the audience understand that it's a wider topic than Jedi and Sith. It really is the religion of the Galaxy.

And Rogue contributed to the story of the destruction of the religion, the loss of Kyber.... it helps set up a vacuum of things that Luke perhaps will restore, or, people around Luke wish he would restore.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  23. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    Rogue One did a great job doubling down on the original Star War designs and revitalizing them to feel as gritty and real as the first movie felt in 1977. It's little things like the textures of the X-wing Pilot uniforms. Or how much more detail is in the Stormtrooper helmets while looking exactly the same. The 70% familiar - 30% new even extends into the music to create a score that's backward engineered to sound like A New Hope is quoting music in Rogue One as if the movie and scorecame out in 1974.

Gigoran Monk and Avnar like this.
  24. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Wrong Kasdan brother, the one that's working on this film is Jon Kasdan.

25. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    What????? Jon Kasdan??? You mean Jon Kasdan -- the actor?? The IMDB must have gotten that wrong. Mixed up the two brothers or something. The only thing about writing on Jon's Wikipedia page is an award for penmanship he got in the 6th grade. We're doomed!!!! It's the end of Star Wars. Pack it up fellow fans. Turn off the forums. Melt your action figures. Star Wars is over.