main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Now That It's "The Star Wars Saga" Instead Of "The Star Wars Films"...

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Daughter_Of_TheForce, Feb 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    The OT had been refered to as "The Star Wars Saga" before, but that's not what I'm talking about here. The six films are now being refered to as six parts of one story. But, what I'm seeing is that people are saying the "six separate parts" deal automatically means that each movie shouldn't be expected to stand on their own as films with their own sets of story arcs and own raison d'être.

So far, the PT is following this track, IMO. I'm being rushed through, given just enough info so as not to disorient me, and then pushed on to the next thing. I hate to use a sports reference here, but it's like looking past your current opponent toward the next game against a nationally ranked power. You just want to get it over with and on to the important stuff.

Each movie is supposed to continue a forward motion to the next, but that not the only job it has. To me, the whole saga is cemented together even more when each movie has something to say on its own. When I'm watching one movie, I want to be anchored to that period in time. I want to know why it's so important that I know what happened here. I want to think about what happens next after I leave the theater or turn off the DVD player.

2. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    It's...hard to know how to respond to this. I guess it's personal opinion, again. I feel that the two PT films have had their own story-arcs and characterisation to stand on their own, if needed, but are always going to be more enjoyable as part of the saga. ANH is about the only SW film that can mainly stand on its own, and even then it leaves a few major plot threads hanging.

There will always be some people that want to get to Anakin as Vader as soon as possible, that want him chopping up Jedi within the first 20 minutes of Ep3. I've enjoyed the creation of a different era and situations in the PT, rather than something solely devoted to pushing forward Anakin's story 100% of the time.

Like I say, this is a little hard to reply to. I hope I've got the gist of what you meant.

3. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    So far, the PT is following this track, IMO. I'm being rushed through, given just enough info so as not to disorient me, and then pushed on to the next thing.

I felt alittle bit that way with AOTC. We are never kept in particular place, it moves contstantly. In ESB luke stayed at Dagobah for a fare time, and Leia Hand and Chewie spent alot of time of the falcon. We feel the place where they are. I think that is why AOTC doesn't feel like an everyday SW for me, because we are being overloaded with info and locations.

4. Vanthorne_OX

Vanthorne_OX Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2002
    The reason for each movie's existence is there, regardless of their individual part of the overall saga. They are very episiodic in nature as they were intended to be, but they do each hold their own.

It seems you are questioning the ability of TPM and AOTC to do this the most. Let's look at the OT first.

ANH - Death Star. If the Rebels want to hold their own, they have to take out the Empire's main weapon. They do with the help of new heroes. Problem is resolved, but only for now in hindsight.

ESB - The Empire seeks vengenance. Luke is a special target. Luke escapes after learning a valuable lesson. Problem from the Empire's point of view is not resolved, it worsens.

ROTJ - Luke brings back the Jedi, by becoming a formidable one. His final trial to become Jedi is resolved when he brings his father back to the light.

Now the PT.

TPM - The Republic is breaking apart. A rift between the inner core and outlying systems grows. Padme and the Jedi start to rememdy the problem on a local level with Naboo. They do with the help of a new heroes. Problem is resolved, but only for now in hindsight.

AOTC - The rift continues. Now whole entire systems have broken away from the Republic, with more on the way. Even worse, the Republic is on the brink of galaxy-wide war. The war begins. Problem from the Republic's point of view is not resolved, it worsens.

I agree that there is an element of rushing in AOTC, but not TPM. I believe the editing and cinematography lends to the rushing effect in AOTC. The rushing effect is intended. Anakin and Padme rush into a relationship. The Republic plummets into war, it's unstopable. You blink and there's war. Where did it come from? Everyone is blind and then suddenly the shroud is pulled away. Consider the clouding imagery, the dialogue about clouding, the quick zooms in the battle of Geonosis. All of these lend to the above ideas.

Hope that helps.

5. Ternian

Ternian Jedi Youngling star 4

May 16, 2000
    I agree with Daughter of theForce. I feel as though we are being pushed through the PT simply to get to the OT. GL isn't letting us breathe.

6. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Hmm. Expand on that point a bit more, and I'll try to respond.

7. HKChicago

HKChicago Jedi Youngling star 2

May 8, 2002
    TPM stands on its own very well. The main problem with AOTC is the amount of 1/2 information we get on each storyline, with the other half presumably given to us in Ep3.

It's a strange similarity to ROTJ, because while that movie stands on its own OK it gets the biggest payoff by being very familiar with ESB. I believe AOTC will have a stronger payoff by being familiar with Ep3.

The PT is a rush, but as long as it gets us cleanly to the OT then it'll work for me. Many epic/period stories change scope, pace, and characters in the middle of the game. No problem here.

8. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    I like what Vanthorne_OX said - war can be a sudden, violent thing. I doubt that many people thought all-out war would erupt due to the Seperatists, but now it's really happening and things are moving quickly.

9. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    They don't all stand alone, but some do. But while each one contributes to a larger story, each one has it's own story to tell, so I agree. I get tired of people always calling it "one story" or worse yet, one movie in six parts, which it isn't. Some part of the story gets wrapped up in each film, even while there are other films to come.

10. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Yeah, but the overall story arc is consist. Anakin's story is covered throughout all 6 films, I'm sorry if that annoys you but they really are all one overarching story.

11. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    I have a thoery. THe people who dont like the prequels are concerned more with the individual story of each film, while the prequel gushers are more concerned with the overall story of the 12 hour movie. I guarantee you that Goerge cares a lot more about the 12 hour story. Oh sure, he tries to make each film stand on its on, but like DamonD said, the only one that accomplishes that task is ANH.

I care a lot more about the 12 hour story. I would rather have 6 mediocre episodes making up one awesome twelve hour story, than have 6 awesome episodes making up one mediocre 12 hour story. The 12 hour story is so much more rich than any story for an individual episode could ever be. Each individual episode would come and go, but the overall 12 hour story will live for eternity. I will admit that some of TPM rewrites I have read sound a little more entertaining than the actual PM movie, but as a result they take away too much from the overall 12 hour story.

12. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Hey, that's a really interesting take on the situation, rpeugh. Thanks for posting that.

13. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    Yeah, but the overall story arc is consist. Anakin's story is covered throughout all 6 films, I'm sorry if that annoys you but they really are all one overarching story.

Doesn't annoy me. But each film has it's own story AS WELL. The Trade Federation doesn't invade Naboo in AOTC, that happens only in TPM. And Anakin's story is the prequels, Luke's is the originals. Anakin's story officially ends in Episode III and the focus after that is Luke. Three films each, no more, no less.

14. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    Saga is good, but since there are six stories in the saga it could be called Hexology (six parts). Two trilogies (each of three stories) would be a hexology.

We could also call it a segmented epic.

Either way Star Wars is good.

15. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    I couldn't disagree more the PT feeling rushed. It hardly seems like that to me at all. In TPM we stay at one location for a while each time and the story slowly comes together. AOTC is also a much different SW movie. We have the little mystery investigation with Obi-Wan which sets up the story well. The location changes a lot but that doesn't detract from the film. Naboo, Kamino, and Tatooine weren't places we needed to stay on very long.

16. The_Anakin_Wannabe

Jan 21, 2003
    Its not only the locations, its the amount of information thrown at us. We were guided through the OT and TPM, but in AOTC we are bombarded. Anakin and padme's love story, anakin killing tuskens, anakins mum dying, Obi-Wan finding out who the assisin is, then the clone army, then the seperatists, then the beginning of the clone wars. Plus, we have the sifo-dyas mystery, and the Jedi traitor. There is alot happening in AOTC, more so than the others.

17. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Yeah, although I loved AOTC, it really pushed it with 5 planets. I hope to God episode 3 doesnt have anymore than 5 planets. If you have too many planets, the story doesnt flow as well, and you have trouble following it.

18. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    Rick McCallum said there will be many planets in Episode 3.

I think the whole notion of one whole movie does falter a bit when it gets to ANH. Vader seems to be more of a one-dimensional character like Maul, and not much focus is put on him.

19. The_Anakin_Wannabe

Jan 21, 2003
    We are getting information that new viewers should have received in TPM.

I can definately see how the second character that Vader was in ANH would cause problems. I assume that there will be alot of focus on Anakin/Vader in E3, and then in ANH there isn't much at all.

20. JKBurtola

JKBurtola Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 4, 2003
    I agree with Vanthorne_OX.

I personally think that each movie has a solid story but they are all interdependent on one another IMHO. And that goes for ANH too, even though its meant to be like a stand alone movie, I feel its part of the saga in a way that it has its own story but its still interdependent on the films around it.

And it all depends on how you view them as well, whether you view them in order and follow the story or watch a certain one moreso than the others. I mean I've watched AOTC alot in the past few months since it came out on DVD and to me it feels like a great stand alone movie but I'm always thinking about how it connects to TPM and EP3. And to me thats a good thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.