main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Now that LOTR and Harry Potter have proven swords-and-sorcery films can be world-class blockbusters

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Jorus_Kando, Jan 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jorus_Kando

Jorus_Kando Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    ...What other fantasy properties would you like to see brough to the big screen?

I've been dying for a Wheel of Time movie for a while. Maybe NOW it will happen.

EDIT: I changed the thread's title so I don't get any more "SW is fantasy too" replies ;)

2. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    Fantasy...

//shudder

3. Darth_Reign

Darth_Reign Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2001
    I wouldn't mind seeing Animes that were based on Final Fantasy 7 8 and 9.

4. Jorus_Kando

Jorus_Kando Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
  5. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001
    Dungeons & Dragons II!

Woohoo!

6. Crix-Madine

Crix-Madine Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2000
    Admiral_Thrawn60...

//shudder

7. B.J. Zanzibar

B.J. Zanzibar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 7, 1999
    That's easy. Glen Cook's Black Company series and Terry Pratchett's Discworld.

8. Ender

Ender Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 12, 1998
    The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb

A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin

All I can think of right now. They would have to be more than one film.

9. Kendu_Knight

Kendu_Knight Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2001
    The Hobbit, or "There and Back Again, a Hobbit's Holiday by Bilbo Baggins".

10. Master_Ben

Master_Ben Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2001
    Other than LOTR, Silmarillion, the Hobbit, Redwall books, Wrinkle in Time Trilogy, and Chronicles of Narnia, I haven't read any other fantasy books. Is the Golden Compass any good?

11. That_Flashing

That_Flashing Jedi Master star 5

Aug 22, 2000
    Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory Special Edition!!!

WOOHOO!!

12. CloneofPhanan

CloneofPhanan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2000
    Well, technically Harry Potter isn't a sword & sorcery movie, it's really just sorcery.

13. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Well, the queen uses a sword in the chess game

14. Bithysith

Bithysith Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 6, 2000
    The Wrinkle in Time series could be quite interesting... but it would be difficult to do the novels justice.

15. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
  16. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    I don't think the Farseer Trilogy would make a good movie, or even a movie trilogy. I?d rather make it one film, and compress the books together. A Song of Ice and Fire could never be made into films, in my opinion. The books are too long and too complex; every single scene is important.

On the other hand, The Wheel of Time would make a great long miniseries or short television series. Each book could be four or five hour-long episodes, and you?d be able to show the entire thing in about two years (RJ is currently projecting 12 books, and at 4.5 episodes a book, you have about 54 episodes, or 27 episodes a year). The first year would take you until the end of Lord of Chaos (What a way to the season! The Battle of Dumai?s Wells is one of the greatest battles in fantasy fiction, and that would be such a high note to end on!). The second year does A Crown of Swords to the end.

17. obi-wannabe1

obi-wannabe1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    A well-made Gormenghast movie(s) would be great!

18. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    Wheel of Time was going to be a TV miniseries, but that fell through. Elizabeth Haydon's Rhapsody was going to be a movie, and was conceptualized as such even when she was first writing it, but I think it's stuck in some kind of pre-production limbo. Song of Ice and Fire would be an awful movie -- it's too segmented, complex and long to be adapted. Farseer wouldn't, either -- it's too internal and pyschological.

One of the books that I'D LOVE to see a movie version of is Gemmell's LEGEND. Now that had some absolutely ass-kicking action scenes, memorable characters, and a cinematic feel.

EDIT: They're already making Chronicles of Narnia.

"Glen Cook's Black Company" -- These were some ass-kickingly fun books, too, but I don't think they'd translate well to film. The Myth Computer games are loosely based on them though.

EDIT 2: Apparently, John Milius is finally working on his second Conan film, King Conan: Crown of Iron.

19. Master_Ben

Master_Ben Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2001
    I need to read some more fantasy books. I agree that Wrinkle would be too complex. I sure do hope that they get Chronicles right. Lots of CGI in that.

20. Ender

Ender Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 12, 1998
    One of the books that I'D LOVE to see a movie version of is Gemmell's LEGEND. Now that had some absolutely ass-kicking action scenes, memorable characters, and a cinematic feel.

Yes, this would make an excellent film.

Waylander would be good as well.

I don't think the Farseer Trilogy would make a good movie, or even a movie trilogy. I?d rather make it one film, and compress the books together. A Song of Ice and Fire could never be made into films, in my opinion. The books are too long and too complex; every single scene is important.

Just a dream I have about the Martin series. ;) The Farseer series would be tough to do as well.

21. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Terry Gilliam.

Good Omens.

Please. :D

22. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Good Omens: good choice.

23. Silac5

Silac5 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 12, 2001
    The Riftwar Saga & The Serpentwar Saga by Raymond E. Feist.

While were at it, 'Fairie Tale' by Raymond Feist also. Not exactly swords and sorcery, but definitely fantasy.

24. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Dave Duncan's The Gilded Chain would make a great action flick. RA Salvatore's Drizzt books would adapt well to the big screen.

25. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    Good Omens was hilarious! [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.