Now that LOTR and Harry Potter have proven swords-and-sorcery films can be world-class blockbusters

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Jorus_Kando, Jan 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kendu_Knight Jedi Master

star 4
    How about the Shannara trilogy?
  2. IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Master

star 4
    It's already been done...it's called -- The Lord of the Rings. [face_plain]
  3. Kendu_Knight Jedi Master

star 4
    Funny [face_plain]

No, seriously, I thought The Lord of the Rings was The Lord of the Rings, I didn't know that Shannara was its baby sister... [face_plain]
  4. IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Master

star 4
    Sword of Shannara was a rip-off, and a badly-done one, of LotR. It was, IMO, terrible. The next two showed some modicum of originality, but still were, again IMO, puerile fantasy, badly written and terribly clichéd.
  5. GoldenVeila Jedi Master

star 4
    "Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn" by Tad Williams would make a good movie (or preferably a trilogy), I think. They are some of my favorite books. Also, I do wish Wheel of Time would be a mini-series or a show on TV, since there are a lot of good characters, villains and places in the series, not to mention battles etc. I think it would be great, and it would be kinda sad if it never came to life either in film or televison. I'll never see any new Star Wars movies with Jacen, Jaina, etc. but Wheel of Time would be great!
  6. Kendu_Knight Jedi Master

star 4
    True about Swords, but Elfstone is the better of them anyway, IMO. At the least they could do that one.
  7. IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Master

star 4
    MS&T was fantastic, although it took my bookstore forever to get part 2 of book 3 in, so there was about a month between when I read the two parts, and I consequently lost some interest in the conclusion. That's probably the very best of the Tolkien analogues. Not sure whether it would be feasible as a movie, but it sure was a touching (if bloated ;)) piece of fiction.
  8. GoldenVeila Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes, the books are huge, I know. But I really liked them and, long as they were, I was sad when it was over because reading those books for weeks (I read them when all of them had already been out for a long time..), I really got attached to the characters. My brother didn't like how it took 200 pages in the first book to get to the action, though. I mean, Simon doesn't even leave the castle until a third of the way through the first book. So, my brother gave up on it. But as for the size of the books, the longer the better, I say. (As long as it doesn't bore you to death..)
  9. IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Master

star 4
    But as for the size of the books, the longer the better, I say.

My personal philosophy is: The better the better, or, size matters not. A good story is a good story regardless of the mass of the tome.
  10. GoldenVeila Jedi Master

star 4
    True. Longer doesn't equal better. I guess what I *meant* to say was, if it's a really good book and I like the characters, I don't mind if it keeps going on and on. :D And then, there are great short stories that are just as good, or even better than some 800 page novels.
  11. IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, they're two entirely different things with different structures and expectations. I wasn't even talking about short stories, just long novels and short novels.
  12. GoldenVeila Jedi Master

star 4
    Also true. There are definitely short novels that are better than a longer novel. I just like it when the good stories keep going on, I guess so I can enjoy it longer. (Of course, there are times when it is a good idea for it to be shorter or it just gets repetitive. I read a book recently that it felt like it should have ended about 100 pages before it finally did, because the major crisis was resolved but then the main character went on *another* quest that just felt like filler.)
  13. sweetheart Jedi Master

star 4
    I loved the Dark is Rising series as a kid. I hope they make it into a movie one day :)

It's great that fantasy films can come out now and be taking seriously. Like, back in the 80s when Legend was out, everything looked so cheezy and fake you couldn't take it seriously.
  14. yodafett999 Jedi Master

star 4
    Mine are a different sort of fantasy:

Stephen King's Eyes of the Dragon, which is currently being produced in France as an animated film. So score on that one.

The other one will most likely never be adapted. I've spoken first to the author's personal assistant and then to the author himself, only recently as a matter of fact, and he indicated that he is most reluctant to hand this one over. He's been burned far more times than he would like to remember. It is my hope as a filmmaker that one day I may be able to convince him and undertake the task. That property is Stephen King's Dark Tower series.

Those are the two I would love to see done. One in production as we speak and one waiting in the wings.
  15. BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    If someone hasn't already said "The Chronicles of Narnia"...
    The Chronicles of Narnia.
  16. IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Master

star 4
    Cooper's Dark is Rising Cycle would make AWESOME films! Another one that disney was supposed to make but didn't was Barker's The Thief of Always. They're working on another Barker project now, The Arabet Quartet.

EDIT: BYOB -- Chronicles is already being made...
  17. swizzard Jedi Knight

star 3
    good picks from others: dark is rising (those books own!), good omens, discworld.

the dragonlance trilogy would be really really cool as a movie.

but by far, the coolest fantasy books to turn into movies would be the illuminatus! trillogy. im planning on makeing them, soon as i get the money to buy the massive quantities of lsd that would be necessary to really do the books justice :-D. classic books. so good.

swizzard, the Iron Pope
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.