main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Now that Napster Sucks...

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Xmaveric, Apr 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xmaveric

Xmaveric Jedi Master star 5

Nov 25, 2000
    I have been watching the file count on Napster slowly dwindle this month as Napster had been implementing their "filters" on all MP3's that are protected by copywrites. I had maintained hope in the service, until today, when for the first time ever, I couldn't find a song that I was looking for. One thousand, nine hundred and twenty four gigabytes of files, but none of them included the file I was searching for.

So, now that Napster is dead, I thought that I would list a few tools that you can use to continue the sharing of information "and never again pay for a service that would be dirt cheap if it weren't controlled by profiteering gluttons."

I will post a few good tools that I know of and use, in place of, and with Napster.

1. Napigator: This is a great first-step tool. It is a plug in for Napster that will let you log onto OpenNap servers which have millions of MP3 files. The advantage: You use it WITH Napster. Very easy to use. You can get more information and download it here: http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-1896420-100-5433334.html?tag=st.dl.1896420-106-1.lst-0-10.5433334

2. LimeWare: LimeWare is a Gnutella-powered multimeda search engine. It is the most popular and easy to use Gnutella client. You can use it to download MP3's, movies, and pictures. You can get more information and download it here: http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-1896420-100-5181566.html?tag=st.dl.1896420-106-1.lst-0-18.5181566

3. MusicCity Morpheus: Morpheus is a file-sharing application that allows users to search for ALL types of digital media across the MusicCity Network. (the largest OpenNap srever network) Morpheus is neither central server-based, like Napster, nor based on the Gnutella file-sharing protocol. The program uses a proprietary peer-to-peer protocol to share files among users on the network. For more info, and to download, go here: http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-1896420-108-76172.html?tag=sptlt_hed

4. Aimster is a file-sharing utility for people using AOL Instant Messenger, Gnutella, and Microsoft Networking. Aimster gives users control over who can access their shared files and computers, and also lets users share both music and personal content. Aimster's integration with AOL Instant Messaging allows users to search and share files with their instant messaging buddies, thereby enjoying greater privacy and security protections. For more info, and to download, go here: http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-1896420-100-5642229.html?tag=st.dl.1896420-106-1.lst-0-3.5642229

Those are the few that I have used. I would love to hear if any of you have tried them, or have use any other file-swapping service not listed above. Have a nice day :D

2. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    Now that Napster Sucks...

... it's time to get outside and realize what great kite-flying weather this is!!

-Le Penguin; flightless waterfowl with high-flyin' kite skeels

3. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2001
    I have used Imesh before. With iMesh you choose the files you want to download and share. The iMesh unique technology lets you download your files from several users at the same time. When you disconnect from the Internet or close the iMesh application, all your partially downloaded files are saved, to be resumed from the exact place they stopped next time you connect.

Get more info at http://www.imesh.com.

4. jedigal

jedigal Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2000
    Matt (my hubby for those who don't know) rarely if ever uses Napster or anything like that, but nevertheless has acquired MP3's to fill up over 100 CD's.

The disadvantage to Napster for us has always been that the consecutive UPloading to other people slows down our system terribly, both the downloading of the music we want, and of course, for whatever else (wordprocessing, etc.) you might want to do on the computer at the same time.

Matt downloads most all of his music from various ***newsgroups***. The problem with this method is getting the music you want WHEN you want it. But if you simply want to build your music library, it's an excellent method. And you CAN always post a request for specific items. I don't know how well folks on the newsgroups respond to those requests, but it's worth a try.

What I LIKE about this method is that it seems to me like it would be more legal and possibly more ethical. When you use Napster, you basically are giving out FREE music. But the newsgroup thing seems more like when you used to tape something for a friend. You know, you just got this great LP (dating myself) and you can't wait to share it with a certain friend. So you whip up a cassette to give them. The newsgroups seem kinda like that.

I myself have not yet gotten obsessive/compulsive with downloading MP3's, but I probably will soon. I spent the big bucks and bought the new Sony car stereo that plays MP3 cds. Anyway, that's my 2 cents. :)

5. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2001
    Any way you look at it, it is still illegal.

The thing that bothers me is that the record companies (why are they called record companies, the mainstream is CD now even though you can still get alot of new music on vinyl) claim it is hurting record sales even though record sales are up this last year by like 7%.

The musicians themselves don't get much of the $12-$15 you spend on a CD. Now I know it takes alot of money to promote, distribute, and press a new record but come on, $15 for something you might like 2 or 3 songs off of. I have very few CD that I like the whole thing.

The companies need to wake up and smell the technology and adapt.

6. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Adapt? When you have a fantastic, unregulated ologopy going? Napster is the first thing that has shown that they can't keep this crap up. However, they are very powerful, so it will be a very long time until a true change in the system comes about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.