main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NYC, NY Now that Star wars is Dead what's your new Obsession?

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by LadySith, Jul 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadySith

LadySith Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2000
    Let's face it guys, Star Wars is waning fast and unless they make Shadows into an animated feature, no cartoon film is going to raise interest above a mild curiosity, so I ask...what's everyone into these days"

For me it's Harry Potter and a return to my love of Horror Movies. I am also oddly excited to See Hallboy 2 though for the life of me I can't figure out why.

I am 3 chapters into writing a story that's been rolling around in my head for the past 20 some odd years. It's a historical/romance/vampire novel and I am determined to finish the first draft this year. After that, who knows but any story that's stuck with anyone that long deserves to be recorded Somewhere!!!

Anyone else care to share?

2. Lieutenant Piett

Lieutenant Piett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 1999
    BSG!! BSG!!

i.e., (SciFi channel's modern) Battlestar Galactica. Which is sort of poetic vis-a-vis SW, since the original BSG was my "new obsession" back in the day while waiting for "Star Wars 2" (a.k.a. TESB) . . . back when three years was an excruciatingly long time!

But now that (modern ) BSG is drawing to its finale . . . I don't know; what to obsess over then, that won't wind up in a restraining order being served . . . ??

3. cyranodb

cyranodb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2001
    I'd have to respectfully disagree with your opinion regarding that particular lucas franchise. I'd like to keep hope alive. I think though absent our favorite space opera universe, I just keep up with motorcycle stuff, and hope they make better fantasy movies in the future. I just think that the Peter Jackson LotR is going to be hard to beat for some time.

4. Anakins_Kiss

Anakins_Kiss Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 26, 2006

*my best stewie griffin impression*
    Dead? How dare you? I am going to find something to strike you with. Excuse me.

(just kidding)

5. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    LadySith
    Title: Executive Advisor, MEPA-NYC FanForce

did you get voted into this position?

great thread.

6. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    BSG, Supernatural, Reaper, Indy 4, and I will be feeding off Dark Knight for a long time...a long time...

And then there's Terminator 4, which will sustain me for the next year because (1) it's the Terminator, and (2) it's Christian Bale.

What saddens me the most is that I can't find a decent animated superhero show to latch on to. Back in the day, it was Batman, Spiderman, X-Men, and TMNT. The newer versions are terrible - but then, in my mind no cartoon will ever top Batman: The Animated Series.

7. ObiWill

ObiWill Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2001
    My latest obsession is our tomatoes - we dug out an 18 by 5 foot garden in April and planted ten plants on May 3rd. Some of them have grown to over 5 feet tall! We have several varieties of red tomatoes (Beefsteak, Big Boy, and Sweet 100 cherries), and some heirlooms (Brandywine Black, Green Zebra, Yellow Plum, Orange Oxheart). We've been picking and eating tomatoes every day for the past two weeks, turning them into salads and salsas and just eating them plain.
    [image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/familythings/srpinggardening/websize/IMG_7207.JPG]
    Four weeks after planting - note the Imperial stepping stone ;)

[image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/familythings/srpinggardening/websize/IMG_8706.JPG]
    Ten weeks later...

[image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/familythings/srpinggardening/websize/IMG_8728.JPG]
    Today's hearty harvest.

We also have a small side garden with strawberries, mint, sweet basil, and flat-leaf parsley.

When I'm not tending the garden with Kris (and being eaten alive by mosquitoes), I'm committing heinous virtual crimes in Grand Theft Auto 4 on the PS3, cooking up new recipes, and reading (Watchmen and On Food And Cooking).

8. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    Hey! I didn't know we could talk about non-nerdy obsessions. Does school count? :(

Having just seen the new X-Files movie, I'll call it an obsession. It was always an obsession, but now I have all kinds of new thoughts on the fandom that I must share with others.

But I must be careful - the 18-year-old delinquents in front of me were discussing fanfic, and I wanted to pretend like I didn't know what they were talking about. :p

9. LadySith

Dec 5, 2000
    Episodenone, thanks for the compliment on the thread!

I didn't get voted into the title. When I retired from running the club and then from staff it was kind of given to me by the new staff. I was one of the club's founders so I am grateful for the little bit of ongoing recognition the title affords.

I know a few people are beginning to get nostalgic for the get togethers we used to have. One of the things I would like to see done after the Clone Wars Gathering is maybe a bunch of us going for a nice meal then a midnight showing of Harry Potter. I got my daughter out of bed last time HP was released at 10:45 at night. We got dressed, threw on our HP scarves and trotted off to the local theater for a midnight show. Then I kept her home from school the next day so we could see it again. And I remember thinking while there, this is fun but would be awesome if like 10-15 more people were here with us! :D

10. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    I'll go with you Chris :) I love Harry Potter and am anxiously awaiting the next movie.

11. LadySith

Dec 5, 2000
    Ok So Meri is In and so Is Rick anyone else?

12. Nillanator

Nillanator Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2001
    Wow, I haven't been here in a looooooong time! I guess some of y'all are still posting huh?...lol

Don't know if I really have any obsessions right now. Things are kinda dull since Star Wars died down. I do agree about wanting to see Hellboy 2, just something about that character.

P.S.....Life is Great in sunny South Florida. The Florida Keys are beautiful!!!!

Hello Everyone :) "waves hand"

13. MerlynNY

MerlynNY Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 27, 2002
    Me... hmm... I still do the trooping thing so Star Wars ain't offically dead to me yet. In fact, between LFL, the new toy line, and the movie, we're quite busy. And of course, we're always trooping events for charity... that'll never get old. :)

14. BobaFettWBlasterRifle

BobaFettWBlasterRifle Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 23, 1999
    I seem to recall a 16-year period when Star Wars was supposed to be dead, and somehow I found all sorts of stuff to occupy my cravings nonetheless. This is the greatest property in our lives, people, and for pure monetary reasons, there's ALWAYS gonna be something to occupy our times and satisfy our obsession. Of course, Star Wars is just plain cool also, and as long as there are fans there will be Star Wars.

15. RnRJedi007

RnRJedi007 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 20, 2003
    Toys R Us has all the new Clone Wars toys.There will new Star Wars Happy Meal toys at Mickey D's in August(18 of them). Plus Comics , Books, conventions.Its never over!!!:D Do or Do not there is no try

16. MysterySith

MysterySith MEPA Founder/Advisor FF NYC, NY star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 17, 2000
    Star Wars is quite dead to me (never thought I would say that). Actually I do enjoy Star Wars through my 2 young nephews.

I was addicted to World of Warcraft for 2 and a half years, recently canceled my account on that.

I would read more comic books, but thats a pricey hobby. I buy the occasional graphic novel. As many of us have I recently discovered the awesomeness of The Watchmen.

Also looking forward to Season 3 of Heroes.

I am officially done being obsessed with anything like I was with Star Wars. However it was a great ride.

17. ObiWill

ObiWill Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2001
    I can't wait for Heroes. I like Claire's new look. ;)

I've been engrossed with SoulCalibur IV, playing online and losing frequently.

18. ScifiSpirit

ScifiSpirit Jedi Youngling

Mar 22, 2005
    wow! Look who's here! haven't been here in ... dare i say... years!? Anyways, thought this was as good a time as any to jump right back in. to be honest, I can't promise I'll be visiting regularly, and to be fair, I dont visit many message boards anymore. I just fell out of that aspect of fandom for some reason. But I'm excited now because Dion and I have made promises to eachother to get back into costuming aggressively! He's purchased fabric for a costume and so have I. though I'm working what feels like a dozen different costumes at the moment. LOL. Besides from my Jedi Atris (which Kristin helped me work on) I haven't made a costume since I was a 'regular' on these boards and the Legion boards. It's so easy to fall out of it, kinda scary too. And that has nothing to do with Star Wars being 'dead' as is the topic of this conversation.

So what I'm into now that Star Wars has quieted down is Stargate (of course, if you know me, hahaha) and lately Eureka has been my obsession on Scifi. I'm doing a costume from that show. I've been into Harry Potter for a while now, and can't wait for the next movie. :) Definitely more costumes on the way which has me truly excited. I really miss Dragon Con (being that it is the weekend before school starts and i'm a teacher, it's been tough going these past few years) and I really miss hanging out in costume. So I'm totally into looking forward to all of that again and patiently awaiting the sequel to Empire Fan Fest (Empire Fan Fest II: The Search for More Money) LOLOLOL.

Ok, that's it for now. Maybe I'll be back. See some of soon, i hope!

-Tanya

19. Mayhem

Mayhem Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    Out of the darkness I step...hehe.
    I can honestly say Star Wars has never been dead for me and probably never will.
    I don't go crazy collecting anymore as money is needed for much more important things..but I will always love SW and always find some reason to think of it or watch or play something.
    In fact, within a few years the "obsession" could start all over again as Amanda and I allow the little one .... that should be joining us around october 3rd... to discover Star Wars and possibly fall in love with it too. :D

And I gotta say Clone Wars and the books have kept me into things as well as getting introduced to the fanforce in our new home in Charlotte.

20. StarFromIHJ

StarFromIHJ Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2002
    Like Ed, I believe SW woill never die. Its been 31 years since ANH and children are still falling in love with it. As long as new generations take to it, it'll never die.

Other than that, my new (old) obsession is Firefly/Serenity. Stupid Fox cancelling the show.

There's Heroes and Supernatural as well.

Most of DB 516 and I have become obsessed with Dr. Who. We have Dr. Who viewing parties. Talk about a show that hasn't died. heh

Oh, I'm into seeing HP too! I have a costume and everything!

21. citizenjohn

citizenjohn Jedi Knight star 5

May 4, 2001
    OMG!!!! EDS ALIVE!!!!

Star Wars will never die. However I find myself more drawn to BSG and of course my 200.00 A month Comic Book habit.

22. StarFromIHJ

StarFromIHJ Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2002
    Ouch. I thought my comic book habit was bad. The comic book shop knows me by name because I'm there once a week. I didn't include it because its supporting an old obsession, Buffy! Season 8 of Buffy is in comic book form.

23. Mayhem

Mayhem Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    Yup alive. hehe

I'm a fan of tons of stuff still of course too. Just SW will always be the top of the heap.
    I'm still playing WoW, though not as much as I used to. Of course got my 360 and tons of games for different systems.
    As far as shows go..Firefly/Serenity is one of my tops. A coworker convinced me to buy the dvd set and Amanda and I fell in love with the show. Funny enuff, doing one of those "which character are you tests" I came out as Wash and Amanda as Zoe.

I'm a leaf on the wind...

24. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    Nooo! Bad things happen to people who say that. :p

I have a new obsession: I bought a guitar. I can play a handful of chords, which means I can now play a whole bunch of songs. How cool do I look now? So cool. Okay, a lot cooler if I were playing electric, and not acoustic, but even the hardest rockers mellow out once in a while. Just ask Poison.

25. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    ED!!!!!!

I too am into Harry Potter and Stargate. I'm also anxiously awaiting to see where Nolan takes the Batman franchise next. Oh yeah, and I'm really PO'd they pushed Half-Blood Prince back to next summer!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.