main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Now That you've Seen Em...Rank the Four Indy Movies

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by C Creepio, May 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C Creepio

C Creepio Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 1999
    1. Raiders
    2. Crusade
    3. Temple
    4. Skull

2. Icebreaker

Icebreaker Jedi Master star 4

Aug 20, 2001
    1. Raiders
    2. Temple
    3. Crusade
    4. Skull

-matthew

3. Pabawan

Pabawan LFL Story Group star 1 VIP

Apr 2, 2002
    Same here Icebreaker. They've been steadily declining in quality, with a huge jump between Doom and Crusade, and bigger still to Skull.

4. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    1. Temple of Doom
    2. Raiders of the Lost Ark
    3. Last Crusade
    4. Crystal Skull

I may rank TOD at the top but I consider Raiders the best made of the Indy films--TOD is a sort of personal thing, I love it as a horror thrillride and its a more fun movie, but I always feel bad doing that because Raiders is an absolute cinema classic that deserves to be at the top, but I just can't help it that Temple of Doom is my favorite (though not by a whole lot, I should add).

5. Myriad_Daydreams

Myriad_Daydreams Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2007
    1 Raiders
    2 Crusade
    3 Crystal
    4 Doom

6. Icebreaker

Aug 20, 2001
    I agree. That's exactly how I see it. I went back and watched the originals and I realized Crusade isn't as good as I remembered. That was a good sign of where things were headed with KOTCS.

I can understand this. Like a lot of people, TOD has gotten more repeat viewings from me then the others. If I feel like watching an Indy film, this is the one that I pop in first, but it still ranks number two on my list. Curious.

-matthew

7. C Creepio

C Creepio Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 1999
    I too would rather watch TOD than Crusade yet I think Crusade is the better movie. Higher stakes, better interplay between Indy and Indy Sr. and better action overall. Yet, TOD is scarier and darker, which is why I like it. Plus it has Shorty.

8. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    1 Crusade
    2= Raiders
    3= Temple
    4 Skull

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Raiders
    Doom
    Skull
    Crusade

Top position is a tossup between Raiders and Doom for me. In the end I rank Raiders at the top because of Willie's screaming. She got on my nerves after awhile.

10. Icebreaker

Aug 20, 2001
    The thing with Short-Round... I don't care what anybody says. His character is absolutely hilarious. I crack up every time I watch that film. Me and my friend (who looks like Short-Round, it's hilarious) quote the character a lot. In fact at the midnight screening when the Lucasfilm logo came up he shouted out: I love you Indy!

EDIT - Absolutely hilarious. We had a theory or an idea that in KOTCS when Indy is teaching class a student should say:

'Mr. Jones, I don't understand what is expected on our assignment due next week.'

Then in the back you would hear a voice: 'Hey... you call him Docta Jones, Mista.'

Camera pans back and it's an adult Short-Round dressed in his usual attire. Indy would smile and say: 'Thanks kid.' Then Shorty would get up and make his exit from the room. Now THAT my friends would be cinema. That would bring a tear to my eye.

-matthew

11. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    1. The Last Crusade
    3. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
    4. Temple of Doom

12. Pat Darksider

Pat Darksider Jedi Master star 4

Jun 11, 2000
    1.Crusade
    2.Raider
    3.Temple of Doom
    4.Skull

Crusade is a Classic, a fast paced movie, which does everything right.

The plot,Connery,awesome John Williams Score,Humour...everything.

13. WookieeWarrior9

WookieeWarrior9 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 5, 2007
    1) Crusade
    2) Raiders
    3) Crystal Skull
    4) Temple of Doom

That being said, I think they're all very close in quality and I love them all.

14. UltimateJustin

UltimateJustin Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2005
    1. Raiders
    2. Crusade
    3. Skull
    4. TOD

But they're all fine and after Raiders, I dont think theres a big drop off in quality throughout the sequels. And Short Round should have been in Skull, or at least mentioned.

15. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    1. Raiders of the Lost Ark
    It is the original, the most serious, has the most heart, and has the best cast of characters. Marion Ravenwood and Sallah at their best in the series, Belloq is superb, the Nazis are menacing, and it defines Indy. Everything about this film is classic.
    2. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
    I always have so much fun watching this film. Opening sequence with Lao Che is original, Short-Round is hilarious, and I like that they took the franchise in a totally different direction. Mola Ram!
    3. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    This is really on par with "Doom." Depending on my mood they really could switch. This just loses points as it is a rehash of Raiders concept. Overall the story is solid, and Donova, Elsa, Marcus, and Sean Connery are all fantastic.

4. Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull
    I need to see it a second time to really evaluate it objectively.

-Seldon

16. Senator_Lorena

Senator_Lorena Jedi Master star 2

Oct 21, 2003
    1- Raiders
    2- Crusade
    3- Skull
    4 - Doom

17. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Like I said in the reaction thread, it's hard for me to rank the new film after only one viewing, but as it stands now:

1. Temple of Doom
    2. Last Crusade
    3. Crystal Skull
    4. Raiders

Temple is pulp perfection. The action scenes are among the most entertaining ever filmed, the group banter was at its humorous and witty best, and Indy's big time heroic moments like the rescuing of the children and the bridge showdown combined to cement the character as a film icon for me. Last Crusade I love for its more epic scope, as well as the fact that I consider it to be the best one in terms of finding a balance between action and character development. Crystal Skull worked so well for me because it fluidly worked in so many elements of a different era for Indy in terms of style and setting, while I really appreciated how the title character was taken to a natural progression. Raiders has always been the Indy film I've gotten the least excited about even though I still like it a great deal. It definitely is the most grounded of the four, and when it comes to heroic adventure tales a sense of low-key realism is not the primary element I'm looking for.

18. -Ace-

-Ace- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2002
    1. Last Crusade
    3. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
    4. Temple of Doom

19. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    1. Temple of Doom

2. Raiders

3. Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls

4. The Last Crusade

20. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    This is definitely mine too. :D

21. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    1. Raiders
    2. Last Crusade

3. Crystal Skull
    4. Temple Of Doom

Raiders and TLC are pretty close, though Raiders will always be the best. After just seeing Crystal Skull, it's pretty much a tossup wtih ToD, but both are a notch below the other two. Still very good though.

22. Palpateen

Palpateen Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2000

How many directors in the world have FOUR extremely well made action-adventure films of this quality to their credit? Just a handful. We can all name them. But you know what, it must
    be a burden to be SS and have directed the previous 3 Indy films, and try to keep the quality level high, given that he's set the bar so high!

Most directors would be THRILLED to have ever directed ONE film as good as Raiders, let alone 4 that are at this level of filmmaking. And that's only a fraction of his resume. That's amazing.

1. Raiders
    2. Last Crusade
    3. Crystal Skull & TOD (tie)

This list is subject to revision. ;)

23. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    This is my list currently and it's no surprise that it's very similar to many others already:

1. Raiders
    2. Crusade
    3. Crystal Skull
    4. Doom

24. the_immolated_one

the_immolated_one Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 24, 2006
    "Raiders" is just the best and I don't feel like ranking 'em.
    You can hack a bridge in half, you can take out a military tank almost single handily and you can survive an atomic bomb but nothing is better than when Harrison bites Pat Roach's arm in the Luftwaffe flying wing scene. NOTHING.
    Classic Indiana Jones.

But I do feel "Temple of Doom" is way way underrated. It has every bit of the heart as "Last Crusade" but "Last Crusade" just wears it more on its sleeve so, it's my opinion, people react more to it because it's so visible.

Okay, I'll rate them:
    "Raiders"
    "Temple of Doom"
    "Last Crusade"

"Crystal Skull"[face_plain]

25. TaintedJedi

TaintedJedi Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2004
    1.) Crusade - this defined Indy for me. I remember seeing it in the theatre. I think it's the least 'supernatural' of the (original) three films, which was interesting to see.
    2.) Raiders - Lots of classic moments.
    3.) Doom - different is good, but not always best.
    4.) Skull - I'm waiting to see it again, but for now, it's on the bottom. I think this is like Doom (being different isn't always good). I've also got to say many of the mistakes they've made are inexcusable (lighting/visual, historical, cultural, etc.). Being an Anthropology major, Dr. Jones' adventures are touching nerves I never really had before, but implications of cultural achievements being "false", the "savagely primitive" traditional societies, the glaring errors (Mayan Ruins are in Mesoamerica - Central America - not Brazil), are huge...

-TJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.