main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time..."

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Alpha-Red, Nov 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arabiansanchez

arabiansanchez Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    Perhaps Obi-Wan was like a given Jedi name and he reverted to his actual name Ben as a means of keeping his purge survival a secret?

Or maybe he just changed his name by his own accord for the same reason. When you're a former-Clone War Celebrity and poster boy it's probably not a good idea to use that name when the galactic dictator declares you a traitor to be shot on sight.

2. Sanctuary_Moon

Sanctuary_Moon Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2004
    Whereas keeping your surname and continuing to dress in Jedi robes is a great way to remain undetected.:p

3. arabiansanchez

arabiansanchez Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    If I were to change my first name and retain my 2nd name i'm pretty confident I wouldn't be found if I didn't want to be.

Kenobi may be common, and who says a brown cloak HAS to be a jedi robe?

4. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Sort of like giving the son you're trying to hide from his evil father the father's last name, and 'hiding' him with the step-brother he knows he has. Good thing AnaVader had that change of heart at the end of ROTJ, the Jedi were not really good at planning.

5. DarthSerta

DarthSerta Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 17, 2005
    Owen Lars ´s robes are similar to a jedi´s. Anakin´s robe is very different from the other jedi , look at RotJ Luke his clothes are not that Jedi .

6. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Let's not forget Aalya's bikini top. No robe to be seen there, thank god.

7. DarthSerta

DarthSerta Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 17, 2005
  8. Cloudreaper

Cloudreaper Jedi Master star 2

Mar 2, 1999
    I never got Aayla. You're supposedly depicting the Jedi at a point where they were all about strictly following out-dated traditions and 99% of the Jedi wear robes of various sorts (but similar). Then you throw in one Twi'lek who completely breaks tradition and wears next to nothing, not just in the field, but brazenly while strolling through the Temple. Having her drop a robe for battle or dress for undercover missions is one thing, but unless Twi'lek women need to have an excess amount of skin exposed for a reason, it almost seems contrary to what they were trying to portray.

Back to the topic...

What's a little odd is that it almost seems to be common knowledge that Ben Kenobi is actually Obi-wan Kenobi, or at least the 'General Kenobi' from the Clone Wars. When Luke says he's with Ben Kenobi, Leia doesn't skip a beat in recognizing that name as being associated with the Jedi and general she sent the prior message to. It could just be that she was fully briefed on all his names, I suppose.....

9. JMN77

JMN77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    Yeah that's a good point. But even if she did'nt know the name Ben,
    it was'nt hard to put 2 and 2 together.

Leia is trying to reach someone called General/Obi-Wan Kenobi.
    Not very long after, a stranger shows up and says he is with someone called Ben Kenobi.
    She knows it's him immediatly. Leia is bright.

[face_peace]

10. DARTH_JANISSARY

DARTH_JANISSARY Jedi Master star 1

Sep 6, 2002
    "What's a little odd is that it almost seems to be common knowledge that Ben Kenobi is actually Obi-wan Kenobi, or at least the 'General Kenobi' from the Clone Wars. When Luke says he's with Ben Kenobi, Leia doesn't skip a beat in recognizing that name as being associated with the Jedi and general she sent the prior message to. It could just be that she was fully briefed on all his names, I suppose..... " Maybe you found a plot hole:eek:

I always felt Obi-wan became Ben when he accepted that the Jedi order was no more. In Ep4
    He said I Wasonce A Jedi knight & so was your father. Or something really close to that its been a few weeks since I've seen it last.

11. darth_da

darth_da Jedi Master star 1

May 27, 2005
    I dont think the brown robes look was a uniform as such, more the way that the majority of the jedi chose to look, so theres nothing wrong really with other Jedi going for a different look (e.g Aayla, Anakin)

12. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    though i'm sure ben used a peaceful solution as often as he could, he must've had to whip that saber out on a mad tusken here or there in his 20 years on tatooine. i'd imagine he also laid into his share of kreedles and wiley bandits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.