main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Now that's a name I've not heard for a long time..."

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by am-pm, Mar 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. am-pm

am-pm Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 17, 2005
    I was thinking about this line today and it struck me as odd. Were we not lead to believe that during his 20-year isolation, Obi-Wan was in communication with Qui-Gon? I find the thought that he had Qui-Gon for "company" to be a very comforting thing for poor Obi-Wan. But then, wouldn't Qui-Gon be referring to him as "Obi-Wan"? It doesn't seem right that he would talk to him and never use his name, nor does it seem likely he would have called him "Ben." I guess Obi-Wan is referring to hearing the name spoken out in the "real world"? But still, it struck me as odd because the name "Obi-Wan" should still have been in frequent use for him over the years so his reaction seemed odd.

Anyone?

And no, I am not picking apart anything or looking for a flaw. Just a thought. I love it all anyway. LOL.

2. DINVADER_RETURNS

DINVADER_RETURNS Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2003
    Maybe Qui-Gon referred to him as "friend" or "Master Kenobi". The point is, he had not gone by the name of Obi-Wan to any living person.

3. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    Well i think that his visits from Qui Gon were far and few between and he had probably not heard from him in a very long time, otherwise old Qui would be poking around in the OT. Obi Wan had occassional contact with Tattooinians (is that a word?) where he was known as Ben so 99% of the time he was being called Ben and probably hadnt actually heard "Obi Wan" spoken in at least a decade.

4. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    Good catch, am-pm. I love it all anyways, too, but Im not making any excuses for a billionaire. Add it to the list.

5. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    Perhaps he merely meant that he hadn't been called obi-wan by another person (living) in a very long time. We know obi-wan had contact with people during his time on tatooine. but all those people he interacted with over 20 plus years all referred to him as ben. So, it would have been many years since he had been addressed or sought after under his true name, Obi-Wan.

6. Delorean_Kenobi

Delorean_Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Mar 14, 2003
    I also think by that point he probably hadn't spoken to Qui-Gon in a long time... a long time...

7. Sanctuary_Moon

Sanctuary_Moon Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2004
    Except Kenobi clearly tells Luke "I haven't gone by the name of Obi-Wan since, oh, before you were born."

George dropped the ball on this one, I'm afraid.

8. greenforest

greenforest Jedi Youngling

Mar 27, 2005
    I think the explanation for this is that Obi-Wan didn't want to bring up an association between his name change and Luke's birth, because that could cause Luke to have even more questions and Obi didn't want that at the time.

9. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
    and it would have sounded a tad silly if Kenobi had said something like "now that's a name I haven't heard since... ohhh when you were 2½ years old"

We all know old Kenobi was a bit loose on the truth.

10. am-pm

am-pm Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 17, 2005
    But why are some people saying that Qui-Gon would have stopped visiting him that long ago? Is there any basis to believe this? (Other than bits and pieces I've read on this board that sounds like some book mentions force ghosts only have so long that they are able to visit...I don't think there is anything in the movies to indicate that at all and so I imagine Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan communing whenever the heck they want).

11. Rossa83

Rossa83 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    I agree. Why should Qui-Gon stop visit OBW? I guess it would be good for both, hehe. Also, was Yoda and OBW able to communicate, or how was that?

The whole thing may more have been to point out that "OK, so now it is time that the Jedi once more step into the light". Let's not forget the Jedi had been hiding for 20 years as well. It could be a reference to that I think.

12. DINVADER_RETURNS

Mar 10, 2003
    Except Kenobi clearly tells Luke "I haven't gone by the name of Obi-Wan since, oh, before you were born."

The key in what Ben says is "oh" Which means about or approximately. The only person I saw who called him Ben after Luke was born was Padme, and she died. He becomes Ben as soon as he takes Luke off to Tatooine.

13. DINVADER_RETURNS

Mar 10, 2003
    I meant the only person who called him OBI-WAN after Luke was born was Padme. Sorry for my error above.

14. Rossa83

Sep 8, 2005
    I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a key. OBW also told Luke that Anakin was dead...
    I think it very well might be an allusion to how it was time for Obi-Wan Kenobi - the Jedi - to return to the surface again. For the Jedi to return. He doesn't clearly tell anything in ANH if you ask me. He CLEARLY told Luke that Luke's father was dead - as it turned it WAS all about a point of view...

OBW becomes Ben when he no longer functions as a Jedi per se. When the time is right he assumes his old name and his old self - a Jedi.

15. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005
    Yeah, and it's quite possible that Qui-Gon simply referred to him as Master Kenobi. He was, after all, a Jedi Master.

Carnage

16. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
    If Qui-Gon would refer to Kenobi in any other way than Obi-Wan I believe it would be "my friend" or "my old friend" or perhaps even "my old Padawan".

I believe Master Kenobi would be a bit to formal for a conversation between Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan

17. Delorean_Kenobi

Mar 14, 2003
    Well he wasn't exactly going to say "I haven't been called 'Obi-Wan' since oh... your mother called me it mere minutes after you were born... that sure was an interesting day that one... but enough of that for now. What brings you out this far?"

The fact that Luke Skywalker had actually spoken his real name was enough to surprise him into covering his reaction with the phrase "Now that's a name I've not heard for a long time..." No-one outside of Yoda, Bail Organa or (presumably) the spirit of Qui-Gon should have known his true identity.

18. Darth_Tweakpiece

Darth_Tweakpiece Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005
    I'm glad he used the alias "Ben"...it means he could creep around Totooine listening for information on Vader without anyone thinking he was a Jedi...It reminds me of how you can't tell Clark Kent is Superman in his disguise.

19. Rossa83

Sep 8, 2005
    Yes it does. It was his alias. He couldn't walk around as a Jedi. It would simply draw too much attention. Swinging his lightsaber - not a good option. Qui-Gon already used that one "maybe I killed a Jedi and took it from him" - a stormtrooper would simply say: "only a hundred or so of US can kill a Jedi, or Vader, but he's always too busy"

20. Delorean_Kenobi

Mar 14, 2003
    I never really saw him as hiding his "Jedi self" on Tatooine.

* He didn't hide it when he took down those two guys in the Cantina. If he were trying to hide the fact he was a Jedi he could have taken care of them in a more subtle fashion - mind trick, knock them over with a discreet push of the Force...

* Uncle Owen referred to him as "That crazy old wizard".

* Also Obi-Wan didn't really change his look - the Jedi robes and cloak were pretty identical to the ones he wore in Eps 1, 2, and 3.

He probably thought he was too far away from the Sith to be noticed. Even Grand Moff Tarkin believed that the very idea that Kenobi was still alive was absurd.

21. Use2bVader

Use2bVader Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 6, 2006

Yeah... It's not like he wore his jedi robe, or whatever they call thet cotton thing he wears under the robe...

Hey wait, doesn't anybody find it unusal (not to mention stinky) that he hasn't changed clothes since oh before Luke was born?[face_whistling]

22. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005
    I think by the time the Cantina scene rolled around he wasn't keeping too much of a secret. As far as Uncle Owen goes, I'm pretty sure HE knows who Obi-wan is. I'm sure he didn't just run over, dump baby Luke in Beru's arms and ride away. He probably explained the situation to him a bit.

Carnage

23. Rossa83

Sep 8, 2005
    I agree. He had already stepped out of the shadows then... he had once more been recognized as Obi Wan Kenobi at that time, and it was time for the Jedi to step into the light again.

24. Rossa83

Sep 8, 2005
    I recognized one thing watching some ANH today (sadly not all of it). Luke's uncle (can't recall his name) says that OBW died at about the same time that Luke's father, Anakin, did. I think that actually gives support to my theory that OBW abandoned his former status and stepped into another one as Ben. Obi Wan then comes out of the shadows - he is puzzled because he has been waiting for a sign to start Luke's training and emerge from the shadows, and this is the time. Consequently, OBW is once again back in the game.

The same applies for Anakin. "That name no longer means anything to me" - it is something that is buried, but comes to the surface in their duel and finally takes control when throwing Sideous down the shaft!

25. J_Gonn_Jinn

J_Gonn_Jinn Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2005
    He also kept the name Kenobi, wouldnt it have been safer to be known as Ben Smith or something? I know kenobi may be a common name, but still, why risk it?

Also how did Luke know who 'old Ben' was? had they previously met?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.