main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Nowadays--A Jedi reflects on the good old days--Vignette 92 and response to the Oldbie challenge

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by DarthIshtar, Apr 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    "So," the youngling said reverently, "what was it like?"

The sage one sat back, face a mask of serene reflection. "Oh, those were the days," he said wistfully. "People knew how to do this sort of thing. We knew exactly what was expected of someone who wanted a Master."

There was a general bobbing of heads as the gathered younglings, desperate for any counsel on how to become true Padawans, reflected on how true that must have been back then.

"In myyyyy day," the young man drawled dramatically, "we knew what devotion meant. We meditated our brains out. We learned every form in case the Master who trained us didn't like our fighting technique."

A cacophony of styluses frantically taking notes ensued.

"And most of all," he snarled, "we were respectful of our elders."

The tapping of styluses stopped for a long moment of contemplation as the younglings considered what he meant by that.

"Does that mean," one girl piped up, "that we shouldn't kick Master Yoda?"

"Or slide down the banisters?" another one added gloomily.

"Or put brightgum in Initiate Nina's hair?" yet another brayed in dismay.

"All of those things are to be avoided," he confirmed solemnly, "but most of all, it is being mindful of the needs of your elders."

Finally catching on, the nearest initiate passed over one of her cookies. The man gave her a gracious smile of benediction, then patted her on the head.

"But those were the good old days," he repeated. "Nowadays, you know so little that I'm afraid for your Masters..."

"Padawan Kenobi?"

The sage glowered in the direction of the voice. "And we did not interrupt our elders!" he concluded.

"Yes," the girl said without the slightest hint of apology, "but I have a question."

"Yes?" he said, a little more kindly.

She grinned. "Weren't you apprenticed last month?"

2. WyoJedi

WyoJedi Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 7, 2005
    This is just great! Here I was, reading along thinking this wisened old Jedi was imparting decades of knowledge on impressionable younglings, and then:

"Weren't you apprenticed last month?"

Caught me off guard. Such a wonderful job! I thoroughly enjoyed this.

Cheers,
    Wyo

3. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Ish, that was so quick and just wonderfully done. I'm so jealous! :p

4. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Note to readers: This was completely inspired by my experience as a missionary. When you first get to your assigned mission, you're called a "greenie". It's like being a newbie. Well, I had a friend named Hermana Portillo who kept saying things like "in my day" and "I remember the days when..." She and I had actually been in the missionary training center at the same exact time, but because she was from El Salvador, she left 6 weeks earlier while I stayed to learn Spanish. So she was just 6 weeks more proficient than I and thought that made her a veteran.

WyoJedi--Yeah, it does seem like it's someone like Mace Windu reminiscing. Glad it caught you off-guard because it was meant to!

Healer_Leona--LOL, thanks, Leona. When I got the inspiration, it just took a couple of drafts to have me giggling hard enough to post it.

5. Noelie

Noelie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 11, 2005
    Ah.. the Jedi version of "I walked to school in 6 feet of snow, five miles and uphill BOTH ways" :)
    Truly truly adorable Ish.

6. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Well, you have managed to earn my first ever post on the Before the Saga boards.

Funny it was Obi-Wan making the good old days comments. [face_laugh]

7. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    I've just read too many of your stories, Ish. :) I saw it coming, but I loved it anyway. It was terribly cute.

8. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Awww, thanks, Lilith. Even if it's predictable.

I'm highly honored. :) Thanks! And yes, Obi-Wan doing good old days as a 13-year-old was fun...

In your day, you had to pick any cabbages you kicked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.