main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Noxious Misunderstandings: (Obi/Qui) Post 52 [01.12.03] (COMPLETED)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Aunecah_Skywalker, Oct 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    Well, here is a post. If anyone's reading.

. . . .

With Master Dooku around, neither the blond-haired man nor the security guards bothered with blasters. They assumed that Obi-Wan wouldn't be foolish enough to try something in front of a Jedi Master, and, no matter how much Obi-Wan tried to convince himself otherwise, their presumptions were correct. To even think of escaping was a very bad idea, as Obi-Wan wasn't entirely sure how well his shields were holding.

The company marched him out of the dank building and out into the streets. It was late in the evening, something that surprised Obi-Wan, for he felt he had been in the room with Master Dooku for less than ten minutes. The traffic on the streets was much thinner now, possibly owing to the natives' fear of the dark.

Master Dooku moved just a little bit closer to Obi-Wan. Even though the Jedi Master's face showed only a sinister satisfaction, Obi-Wan knew deep down that Dooku secretly feared he would abandon all reason and go on a mad run. ~Well if that is what Master Dooku thought about him, then he didn't know very much about him.~

Obi-Wan would have thought more about Master Dooku and his own "kidnapping" (even if Obi-Wan had aided them in it, he figured he still was officially "held against his own will"), but he was more concerned about Qui-Gon and how he would take this.

The smirk on Master Dooku's face was making him really anxious, and that he didn't really know how much Qui-Gon actually trusted him didn't help the matters, either. To top it all of he had had disobeyed his master by leaving his room. ~If he had only listened to Qui-Gon, then none of this would have ever happened.~

Lost in his own mulling, Obi-Wan almost didn't feel the slight tremor in the Force. It was so elusive, even to him, that he could barely feel it. It was out there ... at the very edge of his periphery vision, dancing just out of his reach. Obi-Wan gave Master Dooku a sideways glance, wondering if he felt it. If he did, he didn't show it.

Reinforcing his shields just in case Master Dooku was peeking, Obi-Wan focused in on the feeling, seeing if he could isolate it from the hailstorm. ~Almost there.... Come on ... almost....~ Obi-Wan strained his skills, reaching desperately into the Force. He had rarely ever had to isolate a feeling; almost always, the young Jedi felt the Force suggestions as glaring neon lights amid a sea of glowrods; and he had never had to do it without Qui-Gon's help. He never realized until now how difficult it was. ~Qui-Gon had made it sound and seem so easy.~

He had thought that he finally had it. At that exact moment, however, something tugged him to the right, forcefully disrupting his concentration. Catching his breath, Obi-Wan looked around wildly, suddenly realizing that he was in the governmental building. He frowned. For he didn't remember walking all the way here. Time must have skipped ahead, like it usually did when he delved into the mysterious depths of the Force.

Suddenly, he felt something else: irritation, puzzlement, and anger. The last emotion almost made Obi-Wan stop right where he was. While he had most certainly seen an annoyed and confused Qui-Gon, he had never known his master to get angry. Sensing the emotion from his master made him sick, as if he had eaten something revolting. Gulping, and suddenly feeling very hot, Obi-Wan followed the two creatures and the man into a room that Obi-Wan recalled as the room that the Rivan government had assigned to his master.

Inside, Qui-Gon, who had been pacing the floor, stopped and stared hardly at Obi-Wan. The young apprentice wanted to look away, but found his eyes glued to his master's. He more saw the fury in his master than feel it. Then, Qui-Gon's eyes slowly glided over to Master Dooku.

2. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    *screams in frustration*

NO! :_| Don't leave it there! Please! Pretty please! *is gasping for breath*

And yes I'm reading don't stop writing!!! *pants*

Great post! :D

3. Cascadia

Cascadia Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    I'm here! :)

Now I'm wondering what's going to happen between Qui-Gon and Dooku. Obi-Wan, it seems, is not going to be happy with his master's reaction to him leaving his room and entering a building without permission.

Please post more!

4. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    obaona : Well, I'm currently writing the next post. Hopefully, I'll actually finish it.

Cascadia : Nope, I doubt Obi-Wan is going to like Qui's reaction. Now, what Qui's reaction is remains to be seen, of course.

Well, I wasn't going to post more today as I was *sure* that I wasn't going to get any replies until tomorrow morning or so (and maybe not even then). Well, I'm wrong, and I guess I *am* going to post today - provided Darth Writers Block doesn't strike in the middle.

Aunecah

5. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    Well, here is the post. I don't know if *this* is exactly what you were waiting for. [face_devil]

. . . .

Qui-Gon nearly jumped. He had felt Obi-Wan coming to his room all along, and he had felt something else coming with him. However, it never occurred to him that that "something else" might be his former mentor. The startled Jedi Master let his eyes shift from Obi-Wan to Dooku and then back onto Obi-Wan again. He spared the security guards only a brief look. He looked at Dooku again.

"Master?" he said finally. "What are you doing here?"

Dooku shook his head quickly, his eyes falling onto Obi-Wan and the security guards beside him momentarily. Qui-Gon understood immediately. Whatever Dooku had to say was confidential, and he didn't want to say it in front of the security guards. Besides, Dooku wanted Qui-Gon to concentrate on Obi-Wan first, and that was exactly what Qui-Gon did.

With the initial shock over seeing his master here dissipating away, Qui-Gon's frustration and anger returned. He looked over at Obi-Wan again, who was all but shaking visibly. ~Good, at least he can maintain some semblance of control over his fear.~

Normally, Qui-Gon would have been curious, and worried, if he felt fear from Obi-Wan. Fear led to the Darkside, and, Qui-Gon wanted Obi-Wan to have nothing with the Darkside. But now, with the things going as they were, Qui-Gon felt a strange sense of satisfaction.

//I believe I told you to stay in your room ?// Qui-Gon asked Obi-Wan through the Force, letting most (if not all) of his annoyance and anger seep into his voice, as he looked over at the security guards. No matter how angry he was at Obi-Wan, he would never shame him in front of outsiders. Obi-Wan didn't answer. Qui-Gon didn't wait for one, any way.

"I'm extremely sorry for my apprentice's behavior," Qui-Gon apologized quickly, glancing quickly at Obi-Wan. The young apprentice looked extremely reluctant, but he nevertheless bowed, and said a stiff, almost inaudible, "Sorry" to the guards. The commander wasn't happy, and neither were the two creature guards. All three of them scowled as one.

Qui-Gon frowned at Obi-Wan, wondering what had gotten into his apprentice. Obi-Wan normally didn't act so rude and obnoxious, especially not in front of strangers, and particularly not in front of security officers. The young boy determinedly kept staring at the security guards, especially the blond-haired man, intense dislike highlighting his blue-green eyes. The blond-haired Commander, if anything, was staring back at Obi-Wan with even more dislike, bordering on hatred.

The Jedi Master quickly wondered if there was more going on than was obvious, but then quickly discarded the theory. He could readily understand the commander's anger toward Obi-Wan. After all, if Qui-Gon had been in the commander's position, finding someone who was supposed to have come here to negotiate peace tailing him, he would have been angry too. What Qui-Gon couldn't understand was the emotions he was feeling off Obi-Wan.

He decided that he would worry about them later. Now was not the time.

//Obi-Wan,// he warned quietly through the Force, making sure his tone left no place for any argument. Obi-Wan looked at Qui-Gon once before grudgingly replying, "I'm extremely sorry. If you need a formal statement, I will write it. I didn't realize that you were security guards--just felt a suggestion from the Force, and followed it." By the time Obi-Wan ended his little, makeshift speech, his voice was nearly a whisper. Qui-Gon had to strain his ears to hear what the other was saying.

~It looks as if a long talk is definitely on the way.~

The two guards and the commander still looked reluctant to let Obi-Wan go. They looked at Dooku and then at Qui-Gon. "You are lucky that Master Dooku caught him before he accessed high-security areas," the Commander said stiffly. He glared at Obi-Wan, before looking at Qui-Gon again. "I have to ask you to make sure your apprentice is found nowhere near our security comp

6. Jedi_Knight_Hunter

Jedi_Knight_Hunter Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    *Blinks from a marathon reading session*

What a blockhead that Qui-guy is!

Wow, I've really enjoyed this story and am waiting for more.

7. Cascadia

Apr 15, 2002
    Qui-Gon should have listened to that nagging feeling.

Now what's Dooku going to say? Why is he there?

You've done well at creating a tense scene. Obi-Wan's uncomfortable under his master's scrutiny, Qui-Gon's disappointed with Obi-Wan for disobedience, and I think they're both wondering why Dooku is there.

Post again soon. :)

8. Jedi_Suzuran

Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2002
    Okay, Qui's being dense again. [face_plain]

I read far too much of that. :_|

Still, good posts. :)

9. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Ohh Grrrrr, I hate cliff hangers :p

That was good - now master Qui, give your padawan a good lecture, and think of an escape plan at the same time :p

Kithera

10. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    I feel bad for poor Obi. :( I have a feeling Qui isn't going to see the light soon enough . . . Stupid blockhead. :mad:

Great post, Aunecah. Lookin' forward to more. :D

11. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    Jedi_Knight_Hunter : Welcome. :) I'll hopefully be able to post sometime today.

Cascadia : He probably should have. And you're going to see the Dooku-Qui interaction fairly soon (if not the next post, then the post after that).

Suzuran : Well, I guess that's how many interpret Qui's movie characterization. ;) Thanks.

Kit' : Don't we all? 8-}

obaona : You have that feeling, huh? Well, I can't tell how this is going to turn out without giving out the plot, so I'll stay quiet.

Aunecah

12. Ewanfan51

Ewanfan51 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 19, 2002
    What a twisted tale. Love the introduction of Dooku. Very underused character. He is going to cause Obi Wan grief. Qui Gon should be suspicous of him being here. Why would Dooku show up?
    He wants Obi Wan. poor Obi.

More Please

13. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    Ewansfan51 : Thanks. You're going to get more on Dooku, of course.

Aunecah

14. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    Well, here is the post ... though I don't know if any of my readers are in here.

. . . .

It was deceptively calm in Obi-Wan's room that night. Outside, a storm was brewing. Colossal, black clouds were roiling around in a tornado of lightning-bolts, looking more susceptible to the wind than the many stray leaves lying astray on the streets. The wind was howling in rage, clawing its way through many trees and buildings. It wasn't raining yet, but Obi-Wan knew it was only a matter of time.

The young boy was standing near a large, mullioned window that provided him a view of the streets and the clouds outside, with his hands clasped behind his back, his feet apart. His eyes were closed, his head angled up slightly. He was taking long, deep breaths. Despite all the appearance of calm and peace--with his surroundings, and with himself--Obi-Wan was housing a storm more voracious than the one stirring outside.

The hours after the security guards had quickly left stood out to be some of the worst that he had ever gone through. He supposed that, at a certain level, he could understand Qui-Gon's behavior. The other had, after all, told Obi-Wan repeatedly to stay in his room . Even though he didn't--couldn't--know for sure, he assumed that Qui-Gon's anger was a manifestation of a deep concern for his well-being. The knowledge of that possibility didn't make it any easier for Obi-Wan to sit through the terrible hours, listening to Qui-Gon's lecture, if the word could be used to describe what he had sat through.

Qui-Gon was a Jedi Master and would never lose his composure. He certainly didn't shout at Obi-Wan, or spank him, or anything else like that. But he put out all of Obi-Wan's five years with him on the table, like a building's design plan, somehow remembering only those things that Obi-Wan did wrong. While the young Jedi certainly did many things that were wrong and stupid, none of those "things" had really ever mattered. ~Sure, he had snuck out of the Jedi Temple to play at the HoloCube. So what? The galaxy didn't come to an end with that.~

Then, the Jedi Master had said those words that had hurt Obi-Wan the most: "I'm disappointed in you." It had nothing to do with the words, itself, or that Qui-Gon said it; Qui-Gon had said those words to him many times before. But all those times, Obi-Wan knew that Qui-Gon didn't really mean them, was just teasing his apprentice. ~Today, everything was different.~

Obi-Wan had refused to cry in front of his master. More than that, he didn't want to give Master Dooku the satisfaction of seeing how hurt he was. He waited until he got into his room before he burst into tears. If Qui-Gon sensed his agony, he didn't show it; he certainly didn't come into Obi-Wan's room to assuage his distress in anyway.

Now, even though he had stopped crying, reminding himself that Jedi didn't cry, Obi-Wan still was mulling over the past few hours ... and his life with Qui-Gon in general. Being paired up with Qui-Gon long after he had lost his childish impulses and fears, Obi-Wan had never exactly gotten close to his master--not the way Bant, or even Siri, did. That Qui-Gon was usually gone on long, tiring missions didn't help the matters much, either. It suddenly occurred to Obi-Wan how dependent he was on his master. If he wanted to, Qui-Gon could easily get rid of his apprentice and loose nothing. But Obi-Wan would loose everything. His entire life, his entire future rested in Qui-Gon's hands.

Obi-Wan opened his eyes and stared at the clouds overhead. Even as he watched, a bolt of lightning knifed through the clouds, falling onto a nearby tree. The tree split right along the middle, leaning perilously close to a passing speeder. The people in the speeder shrieked in alarm and the driver sharply arced the speeder away from the tree, torn between slamming on the breaks and hitting the accelerator. Obi-Wan watched with a strange sense of detachment as the speeder accelerated away from the tree just as fell onto the road with a dull thud that was lost in the roar o

15. Jedi_Suzuran

May 22, 2002
    Darn it, why do I keep reading stories where Qui is so emotionally closed off? :_|

Oh wait, he eventually opens up. I hope he does in this. :(

Poor Obi. :_|

16. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    GO TO HIM, YOU BLOCKHEAD! :mad:

*clears throat and reminds self not to talk to characters*

Er . . . great post. :) Very emotional. :D

More, please? :)

17. Jedi_Nifet

Jedi_Nifet Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2002
    Is Dooku turned already? Apparently yes. And now he's trying to turn Obi!? :eek:

Qui-Gon, dumb jerk, look what you've done! Come to your senses! (obaona, looks like we have the same problem :D )

But is Dooku trying to get an apprentice to himself or for Sidious? (Oh, that's only my speculation.)

Great posts, Aunecah :)

Nifet

18. Cascadia

Apr 15, 2002
    A brilliant, angsty post, Aunecah! Very well written.

I like the distance between Qui and Obi. It provides for great angst between the two, but it seems realistic. Qui-Gon is a little harsh, but not overly so - so he's in character, IMO.

I'm wondering if Qui's earlier nightmare was anything more than a dream.

Please post more soon! :)

19. Ewanfan51

Ewanfan51 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 19, 2002
    Poor Obi. That Dooku is sneaky. Qui Gon is being harsh but I can understand wanting his lecture to be listened to or sink in. However if he is feeling how strongly this is affecting his apprentice you would think he would find a way to reassure him of his place in his life. Blockhead.
    More Please

20. Master_Comedy_Kitty

Master_Comedy_Kitty Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2002
    *sigh* I really do hate Dooku...

21. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    Suzuran : I hope I'm not making you sad. :( I do like Qui, it's just that ... he didn't act very nicely toward Obi in the movies.

obaona : Hmm ... you still haven't gotten rid of your problem, huh? 8-} Thanks.

Nifet : Is Dooku turned already? You really think I'm going to answer that? [face_devil] About your speculations ... um, refer to the previous sentence.

Cascadia : Thamks. :) Realistic, huh? Thanks. I wasn't sure. Qui's nightmare ... well, we still have long ways before the ending, and the nightmare can come true anytime. ;)

Ewansfan51 : I'll try to post more, but I first have to finish my CS homework. I can only pray that it doesn't take as long as it does usually.

Master_Comedy_Kitty : I still haven't met someone who doesn't dislike him. ;)

Aunecah

22. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    Yay! Another post. ;)

. . . .

Qui-Gon spent many a restless hours rolling over in his bed, twisting and turning, trying vainly to get some sleep. But how could a Master sleep when his apprentice couldn't? The Jedi Master had thought that Obi-Wan's frustration and regret from what Qui-Gon assumed was his actions earlier today would lessen with time. Yet, they didn't. If anything, the more time he spent in his room, the heavier his heart seemed to become.

At one point in the night, Qui-Gon, having had enough, had nearly made it to Obi-Wan's room even before he realized it. Then, his gaze had fell on one of a pair of security guards doing their regular night shifts, and he remembered why Qui-Gon had said what he said to Obi-Wan. He had reluctantly left for his own room again.

Obi-Wan's condition continued to haunt Qui-Gon long after that. He still couldn't understand why Obi-Wan took a few angry words so seriously. ~Maybe he shouldn't have been so harsh with Obi-Wan,~ Qui-Gon thought, frowning. ~Maybe he over did it.~

In a painful moment, Qui-Gon remembered Xanatos. The young boy had shown so much promise, so much strength and love--and then, because of Qui-Gon's own stupidity, he had turned. He had loved his former apprentice so much, he had become blind to Xanatos's weaknesses. Whenever Xanatos had been involved in a fight with some other apprentice, and he said that it was the other's boy's fault, Qui-Gon had blindly believed him. It was always the "other boy's fault."

When he had taken Obi-Wan as his apprentice, Qui-Gon had vowed to not make the same mistake with him again. And he meant to hold to that as long as he lived.

Then, why didn't the logic of his thoughts make him feel any better? Qui-Gon rolled over onto his stomach, letting his head drop like a rock onto his pillow. Outside, it was dark and raining. The Rivans didn't have a stable enough economy yet to spend money on streetlights; the government was able to get away with it because the people thought that the whole project was a "waste of money" as well.

The windows were so steamy, it was impossible to see anything outside. Qui-Gon had spent the past few hours staring at the clouds, losing himself in the intensity of the lightning. Now, he couldn't do even that. Finally realizing that sleep was the farthest thing on his mind, Qui-Gon dragged himself out of the bed and onto the warm carpet in the middle of the room.

He dropped onto the carpet, sitting cross-legged, his back erect, his eyes closed. Taking a deep, calming breath, he focused in on himself, letting go of his conscious self, willing his every nerve and fiber into his concentration. Seeing the future was one of the most difficult arts that the Jedi practiced, and even Master Yoda didn't always get it right. There were innumerable possibilities. Someone could change the future with something as unimportant as eating boiled tomatoes for lunch instead of brulalki.

But all of those futures were in the Force, along with the one that was going to happen. Qui-Gon just had to probe deep enough to find those futures enough, and he had to know enough to be able to find the one that was going to happen.

Taking a further calming breath, Qui-Gon willed his worry and frustration into the Force. If he couldn't go to Obi-Wan and ask him what was wrong, then he could always look for the answers in the Force. He only hoped the Force would cooperate and give him the answers.

23. Jedi_Suzuran

May 22, 2002
    *hits Qui*

Get in there and comfort Obi, you blockhead! [face_plain]

I really hope Qui has a talk with his padawan. :(

24. Cascadia

Apr 15, 2002
    Yes, Qui-Gon, listen to the Force, you will.

I really like the storm. It's darkening the mood of the story. Good job, Aunecah! :)

25. Jedi_Knight_Hunter

Jedi_Knight_Hunter Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    I think today is just get pissed off at Qui day. I am really starting to hate that buckethead!

Excellent posts!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.