main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[NRW] Fixing the Djo family tree

Discussion in 'Literature' started by StarNeptune, Jul 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarNeptune

StarNeptune Jedi Master star 1

Sep 18, 2004
    'lo all. This is my (feeble) attempt at joining in the fun of NRW.

Here is the situation, for those who are not familiar with it:

2. Cracken's Threat Dossier states Augwynne Djo had three daughters: Gethzerion, Barukka, and Kara'Teel. Teneniel Djo is stated as Augwynne's granddaughter, but no mention made of her mother's identity.

3. Star Wars Encyclopedia gives the name of Teneniel's mother as Allaya Djo. No mention is made of Gethzerion and Barukka being related to Teneniel or Augwynne.

4. Courtship states that Gethzerion and Barukka are sisters. No mention is made to their relationship to Augwynne or Teneniel, but this may be because once they became Nightsisters, they were effectively disowned.
  5. Both Cracken's Threat Dossier and The Courtship of Princess Leia state that Augwynne lost a daughter prematurely. However, while the daughter goes unnamed in Courtship, the lost daughter is named as Kara'Teel in CTD and as Allaya Djo in SWE.

6. Allaya Djo was stated to have died while in combat in the desert, while Kara'Teel was stated to have died defending her mother from an attack by Gethzerion.

7. So in effect, we have conflicting family trees. The first version runs like this:

*Augwynne Djo
    **Barukka
    **Gethzerion
    **Kara'Teel
    ***Teneniel Djo (Granddaughter of Augwynne, but the identity of her mother is unknown)
    ****Tenel Ka
    *****Allana

The second version runs like this:

*Augwynne Djo
    **Allaya Djo
    ***Teneniel Djo
    ****Tenel Ka
    *****Allana

Now that we have that out of the way, time for the retcon.

I propose that Kara'Teel = Allaya Djo.

Now, if Augwynne only had three daughters, I think Gethzerion and Barukka would be elimitated as candidates to be Teneniel's mother, as Courtship states that Teneniel's mother is dead before 8 ABY. The only one of Augwynne's daughter's that was deceased at that time, as noted above, was Kara'Teel. So from this I logically assume that Kara'Teel is Teneniel's mother.

Ok, that's cool, so how did she become known as Allaya Djo, and what happened to Barukka and Gethzerion's places on the family tree?

In 8 ABY, shortly before the wedding of Isolder and Teneniel, a reporter wanted to write an article on Isolder's bride. He subcontracts a (female) geneologist to go to Dathomir to trace Teneniel's family tree (he would have gone himself, but the threat of becoming a slave to a Dathomiri Witch scared him).

While on Dathomir, the geneologist asked after Augwynne Djo, but was told that Augwynne had gone to another clan to help settle a dispute. Determined to get the information anyway, the geneologist asked the nearest clan sister for information about Teneniel's family tree. The clan sister (who was actually from another clan), misunderstood the question and said that Teneniel was a "daughter of Allya". The geneologist, not understanding the signifigance of this statement, took it at face value and asked if Augwynne had had any other daughters. The clan sister, perhaps out of ignorance or perhaps because Augwynne's other two daughters had become Nightsisters and as such were disowned anyway, said no. The geneologist thanked the clan sister for her time and reported her findings to her boss. Due to time requirements, the geneologist had no time to verify anything with Augwynne (who wasn't due back for a while anyway).

When the reporter got his (erroneous) information from the geneologist, he then misspelled "Allya Djo" as "Allaya Djo", and due to the shoddy research of the geneologist, Gethzerion and Barukka were snipped from the tree.

A few months after the family tree and its accompanying article were published, a press release was issued from Fountain Palace on Hapes stating all the inaccuracies in the tree and issued a corrected version of the tree, which would read as the one in version one above, but with Kara'Teel definitively placed as Teneniel's mother (and minus Tenel Ka and Allana, as they obviously haven't been born yet). However, some people, not aware of the
  • Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

There's more than just familial conflict---the book says Hapan spin guns make turbolasers idle by 80 percent by comparison. So why did Jedi Eclipse and other books say Hapan tech is weaker?

• jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    StarNeptune:

That, my friends, is my take one why we have two different versions of the Djo family tree. :) Let me know what you think.

Not bad, though I wonder if we need to add in a sloppy geneologist. It could just be two seperate but equally valid interpretations of the evidence, if your supposition about the Nightsisters being erased from the tree is true, and if we assume that either Kara'Teel or Allaya Djo is a nickname, title, or legitimate secondary name.

Excellence:

There's more than just familial conflict---the book says Hapan spin guns make turbolasers idle by 80 percent by comparison. So why did Jedi Eclipse and other books say Hapan tech is weaker?

Because of the reasons spin guns exist in the first place - their terrible recharge rates *force* them to bring different weapons to bear just to keep up. If fast-recharge turbolasers were mounted on the rotational mounts of Battle Dragons, their firing rate would be at least three times what either technology standing alone could accomplish. Also, it would give Hapan ships *without* spinning mounts, like the Nova-class, comparable firing capability to non-Hapan ships of similar class.

• Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

I know that, but the book said nothing about weak turbos, only fast-firing ones.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.