main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[NRW]The prequels

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Pipboy, Aug 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Stock

Master_Stock Jedi Youngling

Jun 2, 2005
    LOL. Everyone complains about the clumsy dialogue in the prequals... they were there in the original trilogy too. You don't watch any Star Wars for tremendous dialogue, that's just the way it is. The prequals are tremendous... the only thing huge thing that it would be missing that people can complain about when comparing it to the original is the lack of somebody with the simple, realistic humor of Han. I guess Jar-Jar is kind of dumb, but C3PO would have been the first time you watch the originals. Other than that, I think the prequals are actually better than the originals in terms of depth of story, look and that sort of thing. I love it all and wouldn't change a thing.

2. Crox

Crox Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2006
    Master_Stock, please don't use the word "gay" as an insult.

Well, if we're to assume that Lucas is deeper than he probably is, than perhaps the name "Dooku" has some meaning to it. The character at first appears to be an old man, weak and not especially intimidating, much like the first part of his name. But, when when we get to know him, to see him more, we realize that he is actuallly strong, much like the second part of his name.

3. QuinineVos

QuinineVos Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2005
    Here here. You said it. I for one am glad that Star Wars is not an "unassailable flawless masterpiece" anymore (which, of course, it never was, it's just that the passage of time and mythologizing made it seem to be). Gives it more life as a saga. If you take the whole saga-films, TV, EU lit, comics, everything, we've got a range from absolute crap to transcendently brilliant. Now that is an exciting place where people can play for many years to come. If nobody ever took the risk of messing up some imagined perfection, there would be no more saga.

4. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005
    "If Nobody ever Took the risk of messing up some imagined perfection, there would be no more saga."

Indeed. We shall continue to pat each other on the back here, because that line sums things up very well. I think you are also correct that it is just the passage of time that has lifted the OT up to mythological proportions. I think George Lucas did a great job, but for those that disagree with that you must say he is a marketing genius. I'm Sure we all (By all I mean those of us who were old enough) liked Star Wars in 1992 but there just wasn't that much material out there. You can only watch the OT a few hundred times before it's time to put it away. ;) 1992 rolls around, TTT comes out, and there is renewed interest in Star Wars. A few more books/comics/games come out and Lucas sees this, makes the PT, and essentially tosses Star Wars into a real Golden Age (No, I'm not kidding). I'm guessing 75%-80% of the members on this board are here only because the PT was released. I know I am one.

I admit to being not that excited about AoTC because TPM didn't feel like it had staying power to me. Star Wars was kids stuff, Lord of The Rings was the real deal. I went to see AoTC, and it piqued my interest. The Clone Wars Cartoons continued it. Suddenly I'm reading every freaking novel in sight, posting constantly on here, reading comic books, playing KoTOR 1 and 2 a few times through, buying an action figure here and there and occasionally wondering where my three LoTR Special Edition sets are.....not because I want to watch them but because I payed good money for them and havn't seen them in years.

If there was no PT, Star Wars would be dead to me except for a once every few years viewing of the OT. It would be dead to many other too. People may still gather around and say "Whoa, Dude, how do you like, think Vader got into that suit? Did he like, buy it himself?" here and there, but you certainly wouldn't be talking to thousands of different fans on an internet site.

Carnage

5. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    One thing that I noticed right after the 1998 season, was that the star wars eu was becoming one big dead, long, boring horse of crap. Most of the stories to an extent had been told and what not. Then in 1999, the prequels plus the NJO series started the ball rolling again. The only one that was behind was the comic books. In fact, both the comic books and the video games did not start becoming very good until the 2002 season. Thats when I believe that the star wars franchise became very invigorating again.

Yeah, the prequels are not the best. I especially did not like AOTC, more so than TPM, due to the bad cuts and edits towards the ending of the movie. But it sure brought the entire clone war program to fore, plus the NJO novels, plus dark horse's revamp of there comic books. Both Republic and Empire are awesome, and the last 4 issues of Tales were very good.Not to mention all the great stuff that is yet to come. 2007 Video Game Event, ala Shadows of the Emppire, 2007 30 year star wars anniversary, 2008 Clone War cartoon event, 2009/2010 live action tv series, plus all them damn toys that are hard to collect. The prequels, gave star wars a new life, and for the most part made the EU very interesting and damn lucrative.

6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    What did FIDo say, Hydro? I figure you must be omniscient, since you know precisely what it was I edited from FIDo's post...

FIDo suggested Mr Zahn performs oral sex upon the Chiss, a sentiment I felt to be outside the bounds of a family friendly board and the TOS.

I expect you'll be as quick to apologise for jumping to spurious conclusions and putting your foot in your mouth as you were to protest my edit. :)

E_S

7. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Reading posts before they're edited makes me omniscient?

Well, I don't recall it expressed in those terms, but I suppose I have to take you at your word. I guess I misremembered what he wrote, and this isn't an example of the double standard.

8. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Sorry, I was being a bit of a jerk then too, and came back to edit. [face_blush]

It wasn't the Zahn comments that got me, it was the, ahem, verb that made me edit.

(Mine and FIDo's signatures are jokes about the whole Zahn thing as well, which followed on from that post)

Apologies for the hurbis.

E_S

9. DarthRotten

DarthRotten Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 24, 2003
    I think Lucas overthought TPM. If you ever had the Episode 1 Insiders Guide cd-rom, than you've read the annotated screenplay for TPM. I think he should've stuck with that. In the earlier drafts, Anakin was 12, Padme was 14 and Obi-Wan was 30 and a full-fledged Jedi Knight on a solo mission to Naboo. Qui-Gon Jinn was a master on the Jedi Council and a friend of Obi-Wan's. Everything QGJ does in TPM, OWK did in this draft. Obi-Wan goes into Mos Espa. Obi-Wan befriends Anakin and makes the wager with Watto that frees him. Obi-Wan fights off Darth Maul. When they arrive on Coruscant, the Council assigns QGJ to go back to Naboo with OWK, in case Maul comes after the Queen again. As in the final film, Maul kills Jinn. In this version, the Gungans are still as seen but they don't speak pidgin basic and JarJar isn't a clumsy idiot but rather a fast-talking cowardly thief. I would go back to that. The only thing I would add is Dooku in the High Council so that his departure from the council and appearance as Sith Lord would truly be shocking in AOTC.
    AOTC just needs better dialogue for the love scenes. Padme and Annie's first kiss should've been on the pasture after they roll around, as it didn't make sense that they would be so at ease after they already kissed once, plus that sand speech of Anakin's just sucks. Also the scene of Anakin "surfing" on the shaak sucks but just because it looks fake. They should've had him try to ride one instead. Obi-Wan and Anakin needed to bicker less. Anakin and Padme needed to bicker less.
    ROTS is good as is but I wish the formation of the Rebellion scenes had been included just for continuity with the OT. Also, I would prefer it if Palpatine's face in TPM-AOTC were revealed to be just an illusion and he can look that way at will. I mean, really, who would want that scary looking guy as Emperor. People are very image driven.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.