main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD NSWFF FAQ 1.0 (July 2008) - Updated 12.29.08

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by JadeSolo, Jul 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    <h2><center>Non Star Wars Fan Fiction FAQ 1.0
    (July 2008)
    </h2></center>

Dear TFN fanficcers,

Welcome to Non Star Wars Fan Fiction! Or as we sometimes call it, NSWFFNSWFFSWNSNWSWFFF. Within these friendly confines, you will find stories including, but not limited to, the X-Files, anime, Battlestar Galactica, Buffy & Angel, Batman, and maybe even a pirate here and there. Within our resource forum, which we call the Well of Lost Plots, you?ll find challenges and fandom discussion.

We want this place to be creative, supportive, and most of all, fun. So before you start, please take the time to go over the rules below. We know you?re not excited about reading such a giganamous piece of JC legislation, but think of these rules as safety procedures at a nuclear power plant ? ?duck and cover? isn?t quite enough.

Throughout the FAQ, you?ll see blue and underlined text. These are links that take you to other sections of the FAQ. It behooves you to follow these links so that you better understand of the context of our rules. Furthermore, read through the Rules & Announcements forum for general Jedi Council policies, as they all apply here.

For some tips on general etiquette, watch How to Behave on an Internet Forum.

<h3><center>How to contact the mods</center></h3>
    The moderators for NSWFF are JadeSolo, Miana Kenobi, and NYCitygurl. We can help you with any trouble you have on the boards. To contact us, click on our names here and then send a private message. We'll read your message and get back to you as soon as possible.

If we're not online and you need help right away, contact any online Jedi Council moderator to help you. If there are no JC moderators online, contact a FanForce RSA.

Let us know if you have any suggestions for improving the FAQ. This is for your benefit as well as ours. The clearer and more concise the FAQ, the better everyone will understand the rules, and the better this forum runs.

Following this is a table of contents for your FAQ-navigating ease. Each of the numbered items is a link that jumps down to the proper section in the FAQ. Many thanks to whoever bestowed HTML powers upon the mods.

So say we all,
    The NSWFF Mods

[u][b][color=black]<h3><center>Table of Contents</h3></center>[/b][/u][/color]

I. <a href="#Fandoms">[b][color=mediumvioletred]Some Fandoms are Off-Limits[/color][/b]</a>
    <ol><li><a href="#Disallowed">[color=black][u]The ?Disallowed? List[/u][/color]</a>
    <li><a href="#Allowed">[color=black][u]Fandoms allowed[/u][/color]</a>
    <li><a href="#OriginalFics">[color=black][u]Original fiction[/u][/color]</a></ol>

II. <a href="#FFlingo">[b][color=darkgreen] Fan Fic lingo[/color][/b]</a>
    <ol><li><a href="#Upping">[color=black][u]Upping threads[/u][/color]</a>
    <li><a href="#Pimping">[color=black][u]Pimping threads[/u][/color]</a>
    <li><a href="#Concrit">[color=black][u]Concrit[/u][/color]</a>
    <li><a href="#Manager">[color=black][u]Thread manager[/u][/color]</a>
    <li><a href="#Abbrevs">[color=black][u]Abbreviations[/u][/color]</a></ol>

III. <a href="#JClingo">[b][color=darkblue]JC lingo and Board-Wide Rules[/color][/b]</a>
    <ol><li><a href="#FamilyFriendly">[color=black][u]Family-friendly[/u][/color]</a>
    <li><a href="#Harassment">[color=black][u]Harassment[/u][/color]</a>
    <li><a href="#Baiting">[color=black][u]Baiting/flaming/snarking ? addressing other people[/u][/color]</a>
    <li><a href="

2. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    <a name="AllowedList">Fandoms Allowed</a>

This list is in no way complete. Don't panic if your fandom isn't here - as long as it's not on the Disallowed List, you should be okay to write. Remember to check back once in a while, as we may need to update both lists.

Alias
    Angel
    Animorphs
    Battlestar Galactica
    Batman (all)
    Baywatch
    Bleach
    Bridget Jones Diary
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer
    Clue
    Charmed
    Chicago
    The Chronicles of Narnia
    Cowboy Beebop
    DC Comics and Movies
    Death Note
    Desperate Housewives
    Diablo
    Disney & Pixar
    Dr. Who
    Dune
    E.R.
    Elfquest
    Eragon
    The Fifth Element
    Final Fantasy
    Firefly/Serenity
    Friends
    .hack
    Halo
    Harry Potter
    Hellboy
    Heroes
    His Dark Materials (The Golden Compass)
    House
    Indiana Jones
    Iron Man
    J.D. Robb (Nora Roberts)
    James Bond
    Jane Austen (books and film)
    Jurassic Park
    Katherine Kurtz
    Kingdom Hearts
    Labyrinth
    The Legend of Zelda
    Les Miserables
    Libba Bray
    Lord of the Rings
    LOST
    Marvel Comics and Movies
    M.A.S.H.
    The Matrix
    Moulin Rouge
    The Neverending Story
    NCIS
    Nora Roberts
    The Office
    Phantom of the Opera
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Power Rangers
    The Princess Bride
    The Princess Diaries
    RENT
    Scrubs
    Spaceballs
    Speed Racer
    Spiderman
    Star Trek
    Starcraft
    Stardust
    Stargate
    Superman (all)
    Sweeney Todd
    Teen Titans
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (movies and TV only)
    Terminator (all)
    Torchwood
    Transformers
    Twilight
    The Twilight Zone
    The West Wing
    Underworld
    Vampire: The Masquerade
    Warriors
    Wicked
    William Shakespeare
    The Wizard of Oz
    World of Warcraft
    X-Men (all)
    Zorro

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) and Total Nonstop Action (TNA) have never to my knowledge tried to stop fanfiction *knocks on wood* so can we have professional wrestling as part of the Allowed works list?

Also Soap Operas please? :)

4. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    We'll check into those and make sure they're okay.

But first - I know very little about pro wrestling, so don't throw anything at me for this question. :p Are the wrestlers considered real people, or are they more like characters and stage personalities?

5. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Nice index. This should make it easier to understand the rules and allowed fics. =D=

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Most American daytime american soap operas are owned by the networks and so far they haven't gone after fanfiction yet.

As for Pro Wrestling..... It's kind of a grey area. Sometimes the storylines will mirror real life (as sometimes making off screen relationships or issues on screen relationships and issues) and sometimes the companies will try to make real life and storyline as seperate as possible (for instance while one on screen couple has been married for at least 4 or 5 years now have one daughter with another kid on the way, they've been 'divorced' off screen for about 7 now - fans of WWE know which couple I'm talkling about.)

So while it's a crapshoot which storylines mirror their real life personas and problems and which thought, most of the time everything that's seen on the TV shows is more or less fiction. (that's the only thing that would explain the Santino Marella/Beth Phoenix kiss Monday *shudders*)

7. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    You listed Torchwood in the fandoms, but excluded it from the allowed list - a mistake? If TW is not allowed, then, are the characters, provided they're in a family-friendly Doctor Who setting?

8. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    Yes, Torchwood is allowed.

The Allowed List isn't complete and never will be. There are a bazillion fandoms out there that allow fanfic - or at least, don't expressly forbid it - so we're not going to try listing all of them.

The Disallowed List is the main list you need to worry about. If the fandom you want to write isn't on it, then most likely you're good to go. But keep checking back every so often, because we might be adding or removing names.

The Allowed List is more for the sake of convenience, to remind us (and you) whether or not we've already cleared a fandom. So if you don't see your fandom on the Allowed List (or either list), don't panic. Just remember to include the fandom name in brackets in your story thread's title, so we can keep easily find it in case something changes.

And of course, if you hear of any new disallowed fandoms, or any disalloweds that are now allowed, please let us know so we can update the lists.

9. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    I noticed Elfquest by Richard and Wendy Pini was not listed in the 'allowed fandoms', but the authors weren't listed in the 'not allowed' list either.

10. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I've checked; it's allowed.

11. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    I thought it was. :) I just wanted to make sure, thanks.

12. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Very nice FAQ, good job! =D=

Have a question about the word "bitch", though, as it's not allowed in reference to a person. What if someone wrote a "House, M.D." fanfic? Could they use Amber's nickname Cutthroat Bitch? It's canon, after all...

(Not that I'm planning to write a House fanfic. I'm not that obsessed... :p)

13. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    I know SW fanfic allows it as insults among fictional characters. Your characters can call each other names as long as no real people get flamed.

14. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    What Face said :)

15. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Yeah, but you're still not allowed to use the F-word and S-word.

I think there should be a third list - words that you can use as insults between the fictional characters in your story, but not against the users.

16. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    We forgot to add bitch to that, adding now.

17. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    I'm so glad "whore" is allowed. If it wasn't, Mal and Inara's conversations would be far less interesting.

18. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000
    Oops. Did you realize that you have Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb on both the allowed and the disallowed list??

:D

19. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    It's all part of our evil scheme to confuse...ourselves? :p We'll fix that, thanks!

20. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    Everyone, please take note of the rules for managing index threads - you must use a sock for these threads, even if only one person is in charge. The FAQ should now make this clear.

Regular fandom discussion threads don't need socks or thread managers.

21. Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi

Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    I think I already know the answer, but I figure I better ask anyway. If a real person (e.g., a game show host) only appears strictly within that context, especially in a crossover, is the fic still subject to the RPF ban?

And, since this will come up in fandoms involving time travel, how strictly will the rule apply to historical figures such as Henry VIII or Nero? And will it make a difference if the figure already appeared as a character in the canon?

22. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi: And, since this will come up in fandoms involving time travel, how strictly will the rule apply to historical figures such as Henry VIII or Nero? And will it make a difference if the figure already appeared as a character in the canon?

Heck, what about fics of historical fiction? Joan of Arc, Shakespeare in Love, Braveheart . . . and if you want to get into really iffy territory, what about The Ten Commandments or Jesus Christ Superstar?

- lazy

23. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    We now have a rule, yayyyy!

You can use real life people in your stories only if they've been dead for at least 70 years. You may be wondering, "Why 70 years?" The answer: We borrowed from California's right of publicity statute. It's not quite the same issue that we have here, but it will give everyone some freedom to write, and it gives the real people a little extra "privacy."

So, Henry VIII, Nero, Shakespeare: all fair game. Heath Ledger: not yet. Clive Owen: only in my dreams.

As for real folks like Moses and Jesus, or any religious figure, I'd say tread very carefully - a warning in the first post is a good idea. You can bet we'll be watching that thread like hawks. :p

24. sengaeriel

sengaeriel Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 5, 2007
    A couple of things:

I noticed that Babylon 5 wasn't on the allowed list. May I ask why?

And, do I have to have approval of posting a story first, like someone reading it first before posting?

Are works in progress allowed?

25. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    1) The Allowed list isn't comprehensive. What you really need to check is the Disallowed list. If Babylon 5 isn't on there (and I haven't heard anything about bans on B5 fanfic), then you're good to go.

2) No pre-approval needed, although if you're writing about more mature topics like torture or sex, you may want the mods to look it over first to make sure it meets JC standards. The excerpts in the FAQ should give you a starting point for what we allow.

3) WIPs are allowed, no problem. Just remember that when you do post your story, you include a fandom tag in the subject line. Something like this: "[Babylon 5] My Story."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.