main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD NSWFF Suggestions Thread

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by NYCitygurl, Dec 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    The NSWFF has been open for a bit over half a year (thuogh it still seems new to me!) and we thought that it's time we got suggestions from you all. What would you like to see in NSWFF in the new year? Do you want more official challenges? More discussion? Do you want us to read/participate more? Do you want new banners?

Whatever you think would be nice, or even that you just want, post it here. I can't promise that we'll go through with all of the suggestions, but I can promise that we'll talk about them.

2. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I would like to see FEWER Twilight stories. It's great that so many people love the novels, but it seems like the NSWFF is rapidly becoming the Twilight Fanfiction Forum.

3. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    That's entirely up to the people who write them and we're not going to limit a fandom. We're more looking for the things that the three of us can do for you guys.

4. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
  5. Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi

Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    Cash is good, thanks. :D

Maybe some slightly stricter enforcement in the story forums. "There's no fandom listed in your subject, so we're sending out the rabid dingo ninjas."

6. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I understand; I meant no disrespect by it (it is something that would be nice to see, though, in my opinion).

In terms of what the Mods can do, I don't really see any problem with the NSWFF. You're doing your jobs very well, as far as I'm concerned!

7. Lithiniel

Lithiniel Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2006
    I think I, for one, would like to see more official challenges. I can't guarantee participation in all of them, as I tend to have several writing projects going at once.

Just some overall thoughts:

It's always good to be able to write for a deadline. That's something anyone who is the least bit serious about writing professionally will have to learn at some point; better here where it's safe than out there in the "real world" where the inability to meet a deadline could make or break your career.

Also, you know, it wouldn't have to be every single month. Maybe every couple of months, and that way, participants would have a decent break in between challenges, but wouldn't miss out on one because of burnout. Hopefully, anyway.

Otherwise, I'm very happy with the NSWFF area, and challenges (or the lack thereof) are not a deal-breaker for me. :D

8. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I like the idea of more challenges. Perhaps we could have a Valentine's one in February? [face_batting]

9. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    I PM'd this, but thought I'd share it in here as well. The 2009 Diary Challenge has just started. Can we do that here in the NSWFF Thread?

10. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Sure, I don't see why not. But since the challenge originated in regular fanfic and Alexis is in charge, you have to run it by her whether NSWFF diaries are considered "in the running."

11. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000

I'm already planning one. [face_devil]

12. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Do we get a poem with the Valentine's one, too? :D

13. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    ... You're pushing it. :p

14. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    [face_batting]

But the Holiday one was good!

Pleeeease? :*

15. Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi

Feb 7, 2005
    Okay, but don't be disappointed if it turns out to be something like...

Roses are red.
    Violets are blue.
    We want you to write
    Some Doctor Who.

16. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Alright, here is the answer to my PM about doing the Diary Challenge in the NSWFF thread.

17. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Awesome, then you're go! :)

18. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I might suggest a Trivia Game hunt at some point down the road. Questions randomly taken from stories through out the forum, and people have to hunt down the answers?

I suggest a set up perhaps some what similiar to the game running in the CT forum, where you have sign ups and ask perhaps one question a week. Those that fail to reply by the dead line for that week, or give an incorrect answer are removed from the game, and then the following week a new question is posted for those remaining in the game to answer, and then the game repeats itself until the end of the game.

It might encourage everyone who hasn't yet to take part and explore the stories in the new Fan Fiction forum.

That's the only suggestion I have right now for perhaps a new activity. I think everything is set up great board and mod wise.

19. Darth_BunnyBuggs

Darth_BunnyBuggs Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2009
    That is definitely seconded!

-B-

20. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Thanks for the suggestion! We'll be doing it, though probably for for a while.

21. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Sounds good. Neat. [face_peace] Please let me know if I can be of any help for it if it goes into play.

22. Lithiniel

Lithiniel Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2006
    Another thing that just occurred to me: What about annual fanfic awards?

Will NSWFF be doing them? Or is that going to be way too much of a pain since we're a much smaller offshoot of the main board?

23. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Too much of a pain. The awards are hard when you're working on them with a big selection, and NSWFF is too small. We've elected not to have our own and to not have a category or submissions in the regular ones.

Thanks, Sara!

24. Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi

Feb 7, 2005
    Darn, could've been a crazy ceremony.

Now, did I see somewhere that the fourth UDC will be created to allow non-SW responses? 'Cause I was going to suggest something of the kind, but I guess it's not necessary.

25. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Yes, and I believe it's with the intent that people can post their sets here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.