main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD NSWFF Tags! - Your Handy Dandy New Sorting System!!

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Mira_Jade , Jan 2, 2018.

1. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    So, we have some good news: this wonderful feature of the upgrade will pay off for NSWFF too!

After playing around with a couple different ideas, there is simply no way possible to create a tag for every character or 'ship in a fandom - not with as diverse a writer base as we have, so our primary use of this function will be through the fandom tag. I made a list of the 'major' fandoms, as well as the fandoms that have had stories written for them over the last year or so. If you write a story for a fandom that I don't have listed, feel free to suggest your fandom and I will add it to the list. This thread will remain open for future suggestions.

But, first:

What Are Tags?
    Tags are different than prefixes! Prefixes are the bit of information appearing besides your title, such as Story, Index, or Discussion. Tags will be within your threat to better help readers/writers to sort through content.

How Do I use Tags?
    It's simple! For a new story, you'll see a box beneath the text of your post for tags. Start typing, and suggestions will come up!

To edit tags on existing stories, the option for tags will be underneath the title in your story thread. Select this, start typing, and suggestions will pop up!

How Can I Search for Tags?
    This function is currently a work in progress! To search by tags, go to the search function. Then click "more." "Search by tags" will be the last option.

How Many Tags Can I Use?
    Tags are currently capped at ten per story. So, use the tags that are most relevant to your story first.

Okay, I think I got this. Now, What Tags Can I Use?
    How great of you to ask! Because here we have . . .

Your Handy Dandy List of Tags

Fandoms
    Babylon 5
    Backstrom
    Elder Scrolls
    DC Comics Cinema and TV
    Dark Matter
    Disney
    Doctor Who
    Dragon Age
    Dungeons and Dragons
    Final Fantasy
    Firefly and Serenity
    General Hospital
    Hamilton
    Harry Potter
    How I Met Your Mother
    The Hunger Games
    Law and Order
    Married With Children
    Marvel Comics and Cinema
    My Little Pony
    Narnia
    Necroscope
    Penguins of Madagascar
    Stargate
    Star Trek
    Stranger Things
    Supernatural
    Tolkien
    TURN
    Transformers
    Voltron
    Warhammer 40k
    The West Wing

Multi-fandom

(For now, fandoms will be sorted under collective tags. For example, Star Trek: TNG, AOS, DS9, and TOS will all be found under Star Trek.)

Genre
    Action
    AU
    Angst
    Crossover
    Drama
    Family
    Friendship
    Humor
    Romance
    Tragedy

Length
    Drabbles
    One-shot
    Short story
    Epic
    Poetry
    Vignette Collection

Challenges
    Challenge
    Dear Diary
    Drabble Challenge
    Mod!Challenge

General
    Complete - (for fics that are completed)
    WIP - (for fics that are a work in progress)

So far, that's what we have going! Please feel free to leave your thoughts and suggestions for any additional tags in the thread below. :)

~MJ @};-

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    pronker, Tarsier, mavjade and 3 others like this.
  2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Perhaps an "Other" tag for other fandoms? Or even "Other fandoms"?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Mira_Jade likes this.
  3. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Thank you for including "Necroscope". That has been on my mind for the last 48 hours, since the parallel thread was raised in SWFF.

PS. In the Star Trek context, what does AOS mean?

EDIT: @Mira_Jade - I just tried to apply the above tag, but it is missing a 'c'. Please can you correct the spelling so that I can apply the tag?
    At the moment, I think it says "Neroscope". Cheers.

Mira_Jade likes this.
  4. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    This is so great! I didn't expect that we would get tags for so many different fandoms! :D

Two suggestions: 1) I would love it if you could add Dark Matter as a tag. 2) Stargate is one word :)

A huge thanks to everyone who made this happen!!!

5. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Would Multi-fandom work for what you're thinking? Between that and crossovers, I don't want to be too redundant. But if there's ever a story that requires it I can add it. :)

I tried to take all of our regular users into consideration! That one was all for you! You have a very unique mix of fandoms, so if you ever need anything else for tagging let me know. And doh! Of course I will fix the spelling on that. Silly me ... :oops:

Then, AOS stands for 'Alternate Original Series' - so all of the reboot films would fit under that umbrella. :)

DARK MATTER WAS ON MY LIST FOR YOU, HOW DID I FORGET THAT?? Somehow the poor fandom didn't survive the journey from notebook to website - my apologies. I will fix that right away!

And Stargate - sheesh, I knew that! :oops: Fixing my silly typo now ... ;)

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! [:D]

6. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    It already exists as a prefix, doesn't it? I was talking about obscure stuff (e.g. my last year's DDC attempt), not threads with misc viggies etc.

Sense, today I make not. 8-}

Mira_Jade likes this.
  7. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Thank you for sorting Necroscope, @Mira_Jade . I applied the tag, and tried searching for it.

Initially dismayed that it was picking up multiple posts from this thread, I quickly realised the value of that; it means that I can target individual stories or drabbles from my multi-fandom threads!

Eg. if I had Backstrom as a tag, I could pick those out with a search.

Slightly separately, if my enjoyment of Star Trek: Discovery manifests itself into fics, are there any spoiler type precautions that I need to take? Although half the first season has been and gone, it hasn't been free-to-air, no-one here seems to have mentioned it, and its' acronym did not make it to your Star Trek umbrella tag.

Mira_Jade likes this.
  8. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Alrighty, a few changes:

* I've added Backstrom and How I Met Your Mother to the tags.

*DC Comics and Cinema has been tweaked to DC Comics Cinema and TV.

*Pathfinder has been consolidated to a general Dungeons and Dragons tag.

Then:

Oh, gotcha! Well, we are already hitting everything currently being posted, I believe. We can always make a tag for a new fandom, even if it's obscure!

I added Backstrom for you! Then, for the Star Trek umbrella, I was just trying to make an example, I wasn't being overly specific - I didn't list Voyager, either. But Discovery would definitely fit under the larger Star Trek tag! Spoilers for TV shows are still the same: two weeks after the episode airs. :)

Ewok Poet likes this.
  9. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Okay, cool. Thank you.

10. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Color me clueless. [face_plain] I know how to use tags on ff.n, but I must need a tutorial over here. still adjusting to new site upgrade.

11. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Check out the thread in SW Resource. If you click the spoiler buttons in that thread, there are pictures of how to tag a thread that exists or a new thread. :)