main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit NU Errors/Mistakes/Continuity Issues

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Endol, Sep 27, 2015.

1. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015

Nope. I just consider it that way for novelizations of on-screen works. That's the only distinction I make, and I don't really expect anyone else to. Just wondering if anyone else did. I mean, we're not analyzing James Kahn's adaptation of RotJ for continuity mistakes with the prequel trilogy, right?

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Nor are we adding a wook article for Britain per ESB.

Taalcon and StoryWorthTelling like this.
  3. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    I don't think we should treat novelizations as "different" from other storytelling mediums just because they relay things differently or even add info.

We found out about
    Leia's adoptive aunts in the ANH novel
    , and there's a footnote on
    early slower-than-light travel using carbonite to freeze people in the ROTJ novel

Dismissing the books or even info that doesn't correspond to the films is just opening up for another canon tier cluster-f. Imho. I'd rather keep more info in than out, in this new canon...

Plaristes likes this.
  4. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    How about a, "Canon where it's not clearly an unintentional editorial mistake/oversight" policy? Also known as the "common sense" policy.

5. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Define "common sense". Because right now, without any kind of clarification, the LFL policy is that everything exists if it gets a mention. No more tiers.

6. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998

Reader: "Hey, this apparant mention of a well established canonical ship/character/planet has in its place a very similar sounding name that if taken exactly as Something Different, then severely contradicts what has been canonically established, and makes no narrative sense to make it fit."
    Author: "Oops, I may have slipped up."

Common sense: Don't canonize mistake, canonize intent. Allow LFL to make a reprint or later edition with correction. Move on with life.

See also: Eclipse, Sixes, etc.

7. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    This conversation makes me miss Nebulon-Z frigates.

8. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Mention? I already said, the ship is never called anything. And it's never named in either films.

9. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I have to admit, common sense when it comes to obvious errors has been severely lacking from the continuity management people in the past. Anyone remember Threkin Horm and Hrekin Thorm?

Revanfan1, LelalMekha and Iron_lord like this.
  10. smisk

smisk Jedi Master star 2

Feb 16, 2015

Now that's super interesting. I hope we see something like it if we ever have a new Dawn of the Jedi type story.

Tzizvvt78 and darklordoftech like this.
  11. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Well, that may be the written policy...but in practice there's Legends and Canon, obviously, as well as "not Legends but also obviously not canon" (Lego Star Wars), "gray area of canon" (the Korean web comic), and "authentic but not canon" (Battlefront), at least. They may not be "tiers" as per the old model, but they're definitely shades of gray that ought to be acknowledged, regardless of the official policy.

12. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    We have an answer about the whole Executor/Eclipse thing. It is a mistake indeed. What's weird, though, is that the mistake was caught by Pablo Hidalgo and fixed on Angleberger's manuscript, but still appeared in the book itself.

13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Few. Love you Lelal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darklordoftech likes this.
  14. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I blame Del Rey. Del Rey has been screwing stuff up a lot.

15. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Still love you Lelal.

16. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    That answer serves double duty, as Pablo's "There was only one SSD at Endor" comment also rules out having the SSD Annihilator at Endor, as was stated in Lost Stars. So either that reference was another error, or there are in fact multiple Annihilators.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  17. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Sure, but those exceptions have a clause from the start, iirc. At least the Jedi Academy kids books.

19. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    They're even messing up books not published by them! (like, umm, this one)

20. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    The number of Imperial ships called Vengeance, Avarice, and Relentless in the old canon being such a painful thing.

21. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    This is completely unfair. But funny. Let's say unfairly funny. Or rather funnily unfair. Or... if I were Lewis Carroll, I'd say "unfairnly".

Iron_lord and Sinrebirth like this.
  22. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    THANKS FILONI

CooperTFN likes this.
  23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It also tells us that (at least in the Pabloverse) the battlecruiser Pride of Tarlandia is not an SSD.

24. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    Thanks Denning

25. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    The novelisation and one of the original kiddie books have him do it, I believe Revenge of the Jedi does, too. The horn itself is from the Shadows of Endor comic.