main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit NU Errors/Mistakes/Continuity Issues

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Endol, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Just realized. Clone Wars says Grievous wanted to enhance himself cybernetically, but the Star Wars: Card Trader which is considered canon, sticks to the story that San Hill and Dooku engineered his "accident". Of course this can be easily explained away, by saying they altered his memories; but I just thought I'd point it out.

2. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    So tonight, Orn Free Taa is continuity personified. Will he live, will he die?

I'm obviously being a bit dramatic, it'll probably be left vague. If they do contradict Lords of the Sith, I'll be disappointed for a while, but I honestly feel like there's been a sort of (very) soft reboot since 2019. Books from now on will be give on-screen projects a much wider berth, and while TV and movies will still try to keep things consistent, I can see things like Bloodline and A New Dawn getting their toes trodden on every now and again.

Edit:
    I was pleasantly surprised by how clearly they addressed Taa's fate this episode.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  3. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    There’s a lot I feel they should have held off on doing in book form and stuck to doing side stories and other eras; I know for a fact the Rise of Kylo Ren will be butchered one day

Xammer likes this.
  4. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean the Cassian meets K-2 Story is probably on the chopping block big time.

QuinlanSolo likes this.
  5. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008

Even the current comics bridging the original trilogy films; if they ever get an itch to do an animated movie or tv show starring the OT cast, which I’m sure will happen at some point

6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  7. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    For whatever reason, I'm fairly okay with individual comic issues or miniseries being contradicted. I think partially because Darth Vader Annual 2 really annoyed me by going out of its way to contradict Catalyst for absolutely no reason, and I just tend to see the comics as less "important".

QuinlanSolo likes this.
  8. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

They are pretty low on the hierarchy.

Way I see

Movies/TV
    Books
    Video Games
    Comics
    Everything else

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2021
  9. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    While they market it as all same level, I think one needs to specify what of each medium is canon and what isn't. Just calling them one or the other in general seems to never work.

F.e. the books are the ones most often treating stories as inuniverse povs, myth, legends or the like. Even with omniscient narrators and third person storytelling styles at times, it seems books are treated like inuniverse media more often than not and thus fallible like inuniverse authors could be.

Comics are a visual medium and while often over the top, exaggerating, simplifying and the like, they are treated as less myth (aside when they do flashbacks like in some Aphra stories), and more as setting up a visual who vs. who, as comics seem to live from personalities and pitting them against each other more than from actual deep story as the books do (with notable exceptions of course where comics had great story trumping any visuals!). Comics are more likely to cameo characters than books who seem to be fond of inventing new folks more than featuring cameos.

Games, game mechanics aside, seem to be fond of lengthening a meager story for the sake of exploration and conflict magnifying fights and enemy numbers with epic graphics. Games can have great story and details, like TOR MMO, but most are rather on the other end of the spectrum and not deep rpgs.

Each medium has its pro and contra, its own risks and flaws and creators have to chose wisely what story to tell in which medium, or how to tell the same story in a multimedia project across many media according to each medias befitting unique qualities. Therefore it is hard to take any medium on its own as de facto canon continuity as each seems to be a basic underlying story retold through a mediums special lense and qualities.

Best example would be comparing a movie novelisation, movie junior novelisation, comic adaption, etc. and you see they flow differently, put the focus on different bits and elements and some even simplify enemy numbers, cut story, others feature extra scenes, etc. like a movie and its directors cut etc. differ.

like i once long ago posted:
    https://boards.theforce.net/threads...and-how-to-scale-the-power-an-essay.19018447/

Therefore I think, different media are not in a hierarchy of canon/continuity, but rather next to each other and form a mix of media that all tell the underlying story adapted to their strengths and weaknesses. We can take details at face value and canon, but where they do not align we do not have to. And while they should align and be created with care, this is no excuse for lazy authors and editors and their shortcomings, just an option to at least live with some inconsistencies.

PS: Just noticed old archived TFN topics are cut off and do not contain my full first post. No idea why. Still a lot of why I linked it is still readeable. Still sucks to have lost quite some as it was more than twice that size.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    Link1130 likes this.
  10. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean I always see the Novels as a place to have more of the deep lore of the Star Wars Galaxy compared to say the films.

11. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    I reckon Jango and Dooku's meeting at the moon of Bogden could end up next to be altered in some way. It was only a flashback in Age of Republic: Jango Fett, though.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  12. R4-D4

R4-D4 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 6, 2003
    I have one. When the crew land on Pasaana they disembark and turn the corner, with surprise on their face seeing the festival. Wouldn’t all surprise reaction already have happened by their descent? Wouldn’t they have seen its from the atmosphere, especially if they are landing right next to it? I find their reactions quite ridiculous. Were they flying blindly?

Watcherwithin and ColeFardreamer like this.