Nuclear Power In Space

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Ramius, Jul 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ramius Jedi Knight

star 3
    Here's a little update about our good 'ole friend the Space Elevator

I like the Arthur C. Clarke quote:

Asked when the space elevator would become real, he[Arthur Clarke] responded: "The space elevator will be built about 50 years after everyone stops laughing."

2. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    I posted that in the JC, when I checked on it later I think it was 5 pages back in about an hour. [face_laugh]

Oh well.

There is another configuration for the space elevator..um...I'd rather call it a beanstalk...where the bottom of the beanstalk is a little over 100 miles up, and it shoots up to GEO from there; basicaly its the same thing but it is not anchored to the Earth.
    To get to the beanstalk a single stage shuttle is used to boost up and dock with it, unload, and the cargo goes up from there.

I'm not sure which is simpler to build, overall I like the anchored beanstalk better just because larger payloads are possible and no Earth launches are needed.
    If, like the article states, it could be done for 10 billion or less, it will pay for itself quickly.
    Launched at the GEO point on the beanstalk a spaceship will be moving at 25,000 mph, which is already escape velocity from Earth.
  3. MasterAero Force Ghost

star 4
    great stuff/thread

Here's more info on the elevator that VadersLaMent is talking about:

space elevator
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.