main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania Nuclear Power

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by CCD, Feb 10, 2007.

?

Nuclear Power

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Nuclear all the way!

28.6%
  2. Nuclear plus clean coal

28.6%
  3. Clean coal only

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Just burn whatever, who cares (ie dirty coal)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Let's live in teepees (ie renewable energy)

42.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CCD

CCD Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 1, 2002
    Personally I am fully in favour of nuclear power plus clean coal. It seems like a safe, high-tech solution to a lot of problems. Also, we have loads of coal and uranium to dig up and sell to people, so it makes sense to develop those two industries.

How would you power our country?

2. Star_Rocker

Star_Rocker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2006
    Renewable Energy FTW!!!
    In New Zealand

3. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    I'm yet to be convinced that "clean coal" can be done without rebuilding every coal-fired power station in Australia (retrofitted units aren't really effective), but every bit helps. A mix of cleaner coal, gas turbine, nuclear and renewable energy is the best option for us, IMO. (If anyone's interested, this site explains clean coal pretty well if you're not sure what it actually entails.)

That said, we won't see nuclear power in Australia for many decades to come.

4. Shadowfire

Shadowfire Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 1998
    Nucular power all the way baby.

5. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    I personally have no problem either way, nuke or clean. But like Hawk said a mix would be the best, as you can't rely solely on one of them too much.

6. CCD

CCD Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 1, 2002
    Perhaps I should explain to our lone teepee dweller that's not what I really meant. Obviously we would still live in houses, we would just have no power :p

I suppose everyone has heard Bob Brown's genius ideas for reducing global warming? It's pretty bad when even climate change activists denounce you as crazy o_O

7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Bob Brown is a Green, the only people who take him seriously rare wear shoes, wash, or stop smoking copious amounts of ganja. :)

I'm personally amused by the increasingly populist Labor leader's position - no nuclear power but a 60% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions by the middle of the century. How?

Nookulur all the way.

E_S

8. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    More renewable energy. Tougher car emissions targets. Cleaner fuel. There's a raft of things that could be done. People forget that the Greens have been trumpeting this issue for yonks and they turned out to be right. What else could they be right on?

As for nuclear power? Until they can figure out a way to make the waste product of the process harmless, I'm against it.

EDIT: And just to put 60% in perspective, Schwarzenegger has set a target of 80% reduction in California for the same time scale.

9. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    I'm a strong supporter of renewable energy and fuel (in fact I'm just finishing up a paper on the viability of different alternative fuels in Australia), but the average power consumption isn't going to decrease and renewable power - in its current form, at least - isn't able to provide that base load.

RE waste issues: it's still an issue, but not nearly as much of one as it used to be. Reprocessing takes down the volume and radioactivity of the remaining waste, and the remainder can be stored safely. Contrary to what The Simpsons might tell you, high-level radioactive waste isn't stored in 44 gallon drums and put in the back shed. ;)

10. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    Coal is doing far greater harm to the planet than nuclear is. But both, we should go with.

11. DunedinJedi

DunedinJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 22, 2007
    heard of renewable enrgies why not make whole australia one suncollector you have surely enuff of it

12. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    To generate enough energy to power australia by Solar, every spare patch of dirt would have to be dedicated to solar panels [face_skull]

13. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    Renewable.
    Why does no one ever worry about nuclear waste/accidents/etc? It's dangerous. It should be worried about.

14. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    That's what I think, what about nuclear waste? Where does it go?

[image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/84/Simpsons_8F04.png]

15. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    "It's all fun and games until somebody gains an eye..." :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.