main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Number of Views

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DARTH_MU, Jan 30, 2013.

1. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Hi,

I am wondering about the number of views displayed on each post in the new Xenoforum.
    I have noticed that even though I refreshed one of my fanfics a number of times by clicking on the browser refresh button, the number of views stay the same.
    However, I have also noticed that the number of views tend to increase not by one, but several all at once.

So I have a question

Are the number of views tracking individual ips? e.g. No matter how much I refresh on my computer, the number of views stay the same?

Since I write fanfics, the answer to this question will let me know exactly how many people read my stories.

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Jul 13, 2008
    View count does not track individual IPs, it's just updated in batches rather than continuously.

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Lucasfilm Ltd Mod star 9 Staff Member Administrator

May 25, 2002
    Also on some of the threads that were converted from IGN, the views are incorrect. You should be OK on new threads though.

4. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    The view counter cron - the program that updates all of the thread views - runs every 30 minutes. I don't know for sure whether multiple views by one user only count as one. Someone should test this out for us and post their findings - i.e. refresh this page 100 times and see if the view count jumps up.

5. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    I will now refresh.
    only 200 times. :p
    confirmed do not distinguish between individual ips.
    There is no way 50+ different people viewed this thread in 3 minutes.