Number of Views

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DARTH_MU, Jan 30, 2013.

Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. DARTH_MU Force Ghost

star 4
    Hi,

I am wondering about the number of views displayed on each post in the new Xenoforum.
    I have noticed that even though I refreshed one of my fanfics a number of times by clicking on the browser refresh button, the number of views stay the same.
    However, I have also noticed that the number of views tend to increase not by one, but several all at once.

So I have a question

Are the number of views tracking individual ips? e.g. No matter how much I refresh on my computer, the number of views stay the same?

Since I write fanfics, the answer to this question will let me know exactly how many people read my stories.
  2. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 6
    View count does not track individual IPs, it's just updated in batches rather than continuously.
  3. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    Also on some of the threads that were converted from IGN, the views are incorrect. You should be OK on new threads though.
  4. Grimby Technical Consultant

Administrator
    star 7
    The view counter cron - the program that updates all of the thread views - runs every 30 minutes. I don't know for sure whether multiple views by one user only count as one. Someone should test this out for us and post their findings - i.e. refresh this page 100 times and see if the view count jumps up.
  5. DARTH_MU Force Ghost

star 4
    I will now refresh.
    only 200 times. :p
    confirmed do not distinguish between individual ips.
    There is no way 50+ different people viewed this thread in 3 minutes.
    Last edited by DARTH_MU, Jan 30, 2013
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza