main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson Nursing Home

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by cathiecat, Sep 3, 2006.

1. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    Chris has said that the nursing home doesn't mind which day of the week we visit, and also we need to find out what one of their christmas wishes details.. how expensive is it... where, when, how long... Chris can you find out specifically.. I know you mentioned, or Amber did that sometimes it is just as simple as a blanket.. The group agreed that doing this nursing home event is a go at the last meeting, so now we just need to plan it, date wise and who all will attend.. I am asking Chris be in charge of this event, which you can decline if you so choose too.. however, Chris I will provide you with whatever help you need from me in order to get it off the ground and running.

2. dialswiftjustice

dialswiftjustice Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    How many people are allowed to go to the event? is it in costume?

3. firstsonofsolo

firstsonofsolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 2, 2006
    As I have said before we can take as many people as we want to Posada Del Sol. They would like Vader, a stormtrooper and the wook to attend but we can have as many costumed members as we wish.

I personally would like to take the tree and do a wish tree drive at a store. We could in fact combine it with the gamestop toy drive and give people an option to purchase a random toy OR pick a wish off the tree itself. Dustin I would say this drive belongs to you so that is your call either way. I was thinking donate a gift and get a printed out picture with the group or polaroid. It would be great if we could deliver the gifts in costume but they would appreciate a visit ANYTIME through out the year. They have offered just about any day in sept/oct as being available. I am thinking at this point we should try for a mid december visit if we do the tree or something around thanksgiving if we do not do the drive. The wish tree itself I believe does not go up until mid october so again I do not know how this would factor in.

-Chris

4. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    I really like the wish tree idea, but I dont like splitting the toy drive. I personally think we should dedicate ourselve to the kids 100% at the drive.

5. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I think the wish tree is a great idea.. but I do agree that we should keep the toy drive and the wish tree as separate events, we have a hard enough time getting what we get for one charity, two charities on the same day would mean less for one than the other, and we want to be successful at both for the kids and the nursing home, they each deserve a special day to themselves.

6. KickingnScreaming

KickingnScreaming Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2006
    Would it be possible for the nursing home to give us a list of wishes still needed..maybe two weeks before Xmas?

I hope that we get a drive done and I would love for us to fill all of those wishes before that. If it doesn't happen though, maybe we could still "adopt" those last wishes as a group.

7. firstsonofsolo

Feb 2, 2006
    I spoke with Terry today who is the activities directer at PDS. Terry and Marchelle are going to be our contacts for this event. We both think it would be best to wait until the holiday season to do our visit as they have almost all their activities planned for september and most of october already planned.

Our best bet is to physically take the wish tree and do a drive prefferrably outside of a Wal-mart or Kmart. These two stores will pretty much be able to cover anything pulled off of the tree. The drive could be done on any day of the week but of course our best bet would be a weekend.

As far as the visit goes Terry said they have a christmas party for the residents a few weeks before christmas or we could just come one day between thanksgiving and christmas.

The bad part is after speaking with Terry who is the actual person who runs the activities part requested that the visit be on a weekday in the afternoon. The good part is we would most likely just be in one area for a few hours as PDS has 3 seperate wings we would just hang out in the cafeteria.

Let me know what you guys think and the two ladies will be getting me dates as soon as they have them but like I said we discussed it and think a november/december visit ould be best.

-Chris

8. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
  9. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I like the idea that it is a bit later in the season.. rather than right around halloween.. keep us posted, and did the nursing home say they normally have good luck with the stores like wal mart allowing people to come with the wish tree..

10. firstsonofsolo

Feb 2, 2006
    No organization has ever attempted to help with the tree. Just a few business have done either donations or some churches will take a few wishes. This will be a first for them and I hope to make it a good one. I would hope that we could get a few of us together and hit up a couple of the bigger stores to see if we can do a drive.

-Chris

11. MasterJediDragonSir

MasterJediDragonSir Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Cat said to let you know that she will go with you and whoever else wants to go.

12. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    Chris, let me know when and if you want me to do anything to help you out on this.