main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NW: Liverpool - "Out of this World" - the Art of Josh Kirby (and it's Star Wars connection)

Discussion in 'Archive: North' started by timbolton, Jun 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    A retrospective of the art of Liverpool-born (Waterloo) artist Josh Kirby, who sadly died in 2001, has just started at Walker Art Gallery. It runs from 15 June - 30 September 2007.

Kirby was most famous for his Terry Pratchett's Discworld novel covers, but a painting more closely linked to us as a Star Wars fan group is this one - ROTJ movie poster. He also did a poster for Monty Python's Life of Brian.

Should we have a trip down to this?

The Walker Art Gallery is open every day 10am-5pm (Closed all day on 25 and 26 December and 1 January) so we can pick when we want to visit. There are also linked events to the exhibition here.

If we really want to stretch the Waterloo connection (where he was born), we could do the exhibition, then a trip down to Waterloo where the Anthony Gormley "Another Place" statues are located, and then the curry at Coriander.
    Websites:
    http://www.joshkirbyart.com/
    http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/walker/exhibitions/joshkirby/index.asp

Any takers?

2. ForceGhostOfCozmic

ForceGhostOfCozmic Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 25, 2005
    Sounds interesting Tim, got a date in mind for when we could go?

3. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    darn! i was going to post that this morning!

4. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Beat ya to it then :p

Hmmm date wise - we can chat today what fits in with the current NW crazy crowd, but it'll definitely be post-CE lol. I am currenly a man of leisure until I find some temporary (probably part-time) work to cover the summer. I'm for rent! But not a boy! Keep yer hands off!

5. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    Well it is one till September so we're in no rush

6. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Just over a month till this one closes. Bumping it for an local lurkers, plus we may be going there on the Liverpool 800 day.

7. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    Aye that was the plan to go here after we've checked this out

8. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Hmmm, should I follow that link or just hang around this thread for a while ...

:p

9. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    Up to you dude, though I'd hate for the to be two threads for one meet :p

10. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    T'was also to keep this info up there, and I just paid the gallery a visit - omg, is Josh Kirby a genius! Wonderful, wonderful art. And I saw the ROTJ one ;) ;) ;)

There must be 200+ items in there, some three times the height of me (I know that's not saying much ... ok ... two times the height of Spike T then! :p ). Also a great video playing with Josh being interviewed. I wanted to stay there more, but had a busy schedule, but I was there maybe an hour. I could have spent more. Big thumbs up from me.

Anyone in Liverpool/Merseyside area should pay this exhibit a visit!

11. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    You went without us, bad Tim [face_not_talking]

Guess you can go again, when we have the L'pool meet :p

12. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Don't worry, more than happy to see it again, in fact I used this trip just so I didn't feel rushed by the possibility of people getting bored and going back to the 08 celebrations. I didn't see everything I wanted to in this trip, so I'll get a second chance before the show ends. Planned to do it this way ;)

13. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    I can't see myself getting bored, for what work I've seen of his has got me looking forward to this showing :)

14. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Aye, just how much is on display is mind boggling. It's awesome in so many ways - and it you don't have to be a fan of Discworld either. The video of him shows him as a real decent bloke too. He'll be missed.

15. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    Well I do enjoy a good piece of art, and enjoy doing my own fan art (shameless plug there :p)

16. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    We did enjoy a piece of art too :p

[image=http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m309/timbolton/FFUKN_Aug07_Liverpool800/JKirby_ROTJ_01.jpg]

[image=http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m309/timbolton/FFUKN_Aug07_Liverpool800/JKirby_ROTJ_02.jpg]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.