Lg.Is, NY NY Comic Con--Ok, who's actually going?

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by ThePariah, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThePariah Jedi Master

star 4
    I know it's been mentioned at least for the past couple of meetings, but I'm just wondering who from this club is really going to attend, and on what day? It's a 2 1/2 day con, but since it's the first of its kind here and we don't know if it's going to suck or rule, I'm assuming most people aren't gonna run out and get the whole weekend pass deal. Or are you? [face_thinking]

Anyway, are more people preferring Saturday or Sunday? (Or Friday night, but that's kinda meh.) Shall we all converge on the con as a group? (I would certainly hope so! :p )

The Rebel Legion got asked (le GASP, wow, they were actually acknowleged instead of ignored for the 501st omgtheworldisgoingtoend :eek: ) to put costumed people all around the con for various volunteer purposes, but I really don't feel like dressing up for a con I've never gotten acclimated to. Unless somebody feels otherwise. I'd much rather go plainclothes geek.

Lastly, if enough people are going, shall we order passes online or buy at the door? (Always more expensive.)

So, thoughts? [face_batting]
  2. TheBothanJedi Jedi Master

star 2
    Considering that I am usually somewhat disapointed by Big Apple Con - a mostly comic centerded con that has some Sci-Fi guests - I probably won't be going unless there is something there for Sci-Fi fans that don't read a lot of comic books.
  3. RnRJedi007 Force Ghost

star 3
    i'm probably not going either.
    A) working at those times.
    B) not crazy about there guest list
  4. PlayzOboe Jedi Knight

star 2
    I'm going...I'll be there Sat and Sun but probably with RL at least one of those days. In my spare time I'll be at the Magic tournaments
  5. MasterSifo-Dyas Jedi Master

star 4
    I'd like to go one day. I'll probably check out the sched a few days before and make a choice. If there are any interesting panels of guests, I'll chose that day. I'm sure though I wont attend more than one day.
    Lets consider it when the con gets closer. --Billy
  6. citizenjohn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'll be there definately Friday night & Saturday. Sunday is a possibility.
  7. ThePariah Jedi Master

star 4
    Yo--heads up to anyone asking if there would be any hide or hair of SW programming at this con. Looks like we got our wish, at least a little bit:

Sunday Panel Star Wars, Continued: Through their books and comics, Del Rey Books (Keith Clayton, Associate Editor and Shelly Shapiro, Executive Editor) and Dark Horse Comics are continuing to tell Star Wars stories now that the last movie has been released. Now you can hear directly from them where they'll be taking Star Wars fans in 2006.

So maybe Sunday is the better day to go. ;)

In addition, for anyone who didn't already know, this stuff is sorta loosely related, or at least remotely fandom-related:

Kevin Smith, the noted independent filmmaker will be a Guest of Honor at New York Comic-Con. www.viewaskew.com

Jeff Cioletti Far Away Discourse Productions - who did the documentary Millennium's End: The Fandom Menace will be premiering his sequel at NYCC called: Revenge of the Myth - Where do we go from here?
  8. TheBothanJedi Jedi Master

star 2
    If I do do, It would be for that pannel on sunday.

What weekend is this again?
  9. ThePariah Jedi Master

star 4
    Feb. 24-26.

And here's something else REALLY interesting, whether you find it good or bad...

Click here to find out about a big-time announcement involving the future of SW comics starting this May.

I've PMed Randy Stradley to ask him if he knows if this will be discussed at this panel. Since the formal announcement's already been made, I think it'd be in their best interests to talk about it some more.
  10. TheBothanJedi Jedi Master

star 2
    I saw that on Karen Traviss's blog.

To be honest, I don't know what to think of it.

But I am willing to give it a chance.
  11. ThePariah Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, that's pretty much everyone's reaction right now, lol. But considering it's being done by the same team that brought us Quin and Aayla, it's already got a brownie point. [face_whistling]
  12. TheBothanJedi Jedi Master

star 2
    Quin isn't one of my favorite characters, but he and Aayla did have some good storylines in the Clone Wars comics.

The cover art pic looked incredible, sort of a Maul-like Twi'lek.
  13. Dolt Jedi Knight

star 3
    Looks like I'm going, but on Friday, the industry day, in the afternoon (I got a press pass!). They are doing a panel on getting sued for parodies, etc., which totally plays into the fan film thing, so I definitely want to see that. I might on the Saturday too however, as my buddy Mike Leib is moderating the panel on "What Makes Funny, Funny: Writing for Motion Pictures and TV as compared to print."
  14. citizenjohn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Cool. Looks like Im going all 3 days. Already bought my VIP ticket from Wizard Universe for this show.
  15. CieSharp Jedi Master

star 4
    Mari Iijima (Minmay in Japanese Macross) is supposedly coming, so I may come for any Robotech/Macross stuff seeing as how I don't see any Star Wars guests on the list. If I go, I'd be down for any club events.
  16. ThePariah Jedi Master

star 4
    I got my reply back from Randy--no, there shouldn't be any discussion of Legacy after all because the only guy from Dark Horse there is going to be Dave Land, and he's better known for his insanity than anything else. :p (If anybody here used to read Tales, Dave Land was the dude with really short hair and peach fuzz who always appeared in the Lucas Marrangon comics at the beginning of each issue--until #20. ;) )
  17. MasterSifo-Dyas Jedi Master

star 4
    I guess Im probably going on Sunday because lines will be shorter, traffic less and such. Are there any dinner get togethers over the weekend? I might not attend the con Saturday but may be in the city late for dinner and drinks. Any thoughts or ideas on that? --Billy
  18. ThePariah Jedi Master

star 4
    That'd be cool. I'm still debating on whether to see Revenge of the Myth on Saturday.
  19. MasterSifo-Dyas Jedi Master

star 4
    What is Revenge of the Myth? --Billy
  20. ThePariah Jedi Master

star 4
    I included this in my blurb halfway up the page:

Jeff Cioletti Far Away Discourse Productions - who did the documentary Millennium's End: The Fandom Menace will be premiering his sequel at NYCC called: Revenge of the Myth - Where do we go from here?

Basically, ROTM is a documentary about the end of the SW movies and how everyone feels about it. This is like a bookend to the first doc--whereas everyone was hyped up and optimistic about TPM, this time around fans are sobered by the fact that there will be no more SW movies and that the prequels weren't everything they were cracked up to be, etc.
  21. Dolt Jedi Knight

star 3
    Jeff is one half of the guys behind the "Silent But Deadly" fan film trilogy, the first of which I've shown at my library programs from time to time. Nice guy.
  22. JediFan421 Jedi Knight

Hi I'm JediFan421 a new member to The Jedi Council Forums here though I am familiar with TheForce.Net very much and I am going to the NY Comic-Con. I can only go one day so I will probably go Saturday because of the Star Wars film.
  23. MasterSifo-Dyas Jedi Master

star 4
    Hello Jedi Fan 421,
    Welcome to the club. Be sure to meet up with us at Comicon.

Thanks Moriah for the info on revenge of the Myth. Well it sounds interesting. Maybe I will do Saturday - especially if that allows us to make our meeting on Long Island on Sunday. (I'll post on the meeting thread some ideas on that) --Billy
  24. ThePariah Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, after much deliberation, I figured out I'm going Saturday and Sunday; there's enough panels throughout both days to garner my interest. But I actually bought the full weekend pass, because it's $15 cheaper than paying individually for two days. I'll get more bang out of my buck by taking a quick peek tonight so I get familiar with the layout and don't get confused tomorrow when I want to find stuff quickly.

Dana told me she wanted to go Saturday, so I'll try to meet up with her. Anyone else going so we can bump into each other accordingly?
  25. Dolt Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'm going this afternoon during the industry hours (press pass, thankyouverymuch) to sit in on a few panels, but I'm also going tomorrow with my beloved, Michelle, who also managed to get a free pass 'cause she's a librarian. We're tentatively going to:
    12: How to Write SciFi/Fantasy/Noir Fiction and Get Published
    1: What Makes Funny, Funny (moderated by my buddy/agent, Mike Leib)
    2: Mutts and Muttscomics.com: The Art of Patrick McDonnell in Cyberspace
    ..then probably wandering around a bit before splitting around 4 or 5 (Baby Ava's gonna be at the in-laws and six hours of non-stop toddler action is likely all they can handle). I wish I could stick around for Galaxy's End/Revenge of the Myth or whatever Jeff's calling it this week. (sigh)
    So, when/where do folks want to meet up?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.