main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lg.Is, NY NY Comic Con--Ok, who's actually going?

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by ThePariah, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    I'm meeting Dana in front of Penn Station at 10am sharp, because we'd like to be there right when the con opens to see if we can snag free tickets to see Kevin Smith. I mean, hell, it's Kevin Smith with guest speaker Jason Mewes, you know that's going to be more than slightly entertaining. o_O

2. TheBothanJedi

TheBothanJedi Jedi Master star 2

May 16, 2004
    Moriah, what time would you and I be meeting up on Sunday?

3. ark3

ark3 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 27, 2003
    I pointed this out to Moriah on the phone, but I thought I'd mention it here as well. The ticket booth for special events opens at 8:30, even though the con doesn't start until 11 or whatever. As such, if you want to see Kevin Smith, you will probably need to be there at like 8 AM. Also, they clearly state that they will only give out one ticket per person standing on line. Good luck.

From the bottom of NY Comic-Con's Ticket Information Page:

Ticket Required Events: Art School Confidential, Milla Jovovich Autographing, Jim Lee Autographing & Kevin Smith are ticket required events. Ticket Reuired, what does that mean? It means that these events have limited seating available. So to prevent you from having to stand in line all day, miss much of the con, and possibly not even get into the event, we have established a free ticket process for these events. The Special Events ticket booth will open at 8:30 AM each day of the con. From this booth we will be giving out a limited number of tickets for the ticket required events, free of charge, to those who have purchased NY COMIC-CON Admission tickets. These tickets are available first come first serve, one per person. The tickets can only be picked up on the same day as a scheduled Ticket Required event. Tickets will go fast, so be sure to arrive early to get the tickets you want.

4. Dolt

Dolt Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 24, 2004
    The room where they're having smith is pretty damn big so that may not be *too* much of a problem. The show floor, on the other hand, is tiny and the aisles are equally small. Presuming that attendance today was less than it will be on Saturday, it's going to be hell to move around in there. Thanks to Moriah, who was a huge help when it came to finding my pal Glenn!

So where is everyone meeting and when?

5. ark3

ark3 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 27, 2003
    I'm glad we managed to catch up with each other at the con yesterday, since I didn't have a chance to look at the boards before then.

I have to say that I had a much better time there than I had expected. The panels were actually pretty good, the exhibit hall (despite being horrendously crowded) was quite interesting, and then there was that cartoon truck. Amazing. But I'll let someone else explain the truck. Afterwards we got together for a dinner outing, with some members who had skipped the con driving in to join us. A good time was had by all, I believe.

6. Dolt

Sep 24, 2004
    I had a great time there but reportedly 4000-6000 people got turned away. There's a lot of online whining going on:

http://www.the-engine.net/forum/index.php?webtag=ENGINE&msg=1964.3

http://www.comicsworthreading.com/2006/02/26/more-on-the-new-york-comic-con-fiasco

http://comics.212.net/

http://www.comicon.com/thebeat/

7. citizenjohn

citizenjohn Jedi Knight star 5

May 4, 2001
    The promoters seriously underestimated the number of people that they were going to expect. They were expecting 15000 for the whole weekend, I think they had like 3x that number on Saturday, (maybe double. Hopefuly thye learned there lesson and next year they will have either multiple halls or the entire center.

8. Dolt

Sep 24, 2004
    I don't know about the entire center, per se. I read in one report that the show floor itself made this the 3rd or perhaps 4th biggest comic show in the entire US...and I thought it was kinda small. On the other hand, the much vaunted San Diego Comic Con's exhibit floor is reportedly only twice the size of the NY one the other day, so I dont know that it's THAT much bigger.

The one thing I read that really ticked me off? Apparently Jepoardy tryouts were going on elsewhere in the building! Man, I woulda LOVED to have tried out. I would have been laughed out the door, but I woulda loved to have tried out...

9. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    I knew that Jeopardy bus had to be there for a reason! :eek: :p

Wow, SDCC's exhibit hall is only twice as big? It seemed waaaaay bigger than that when I was there. You practically needed to pack a suitcase with provisions to hike it from one side to the other. 8-}

10. citizenjohn

citizenjohn Jedi Knight star 5

May 4, 2001
    SDCC's hall is huge. It takes up the entire SD convention center.

11. JediFan421

JediFan421 Jedi Youngling

Feb 13, 2006
    Sorry I didn't see you guys there. for most of the day we were in the gaming pavillion playing Star Wars Minis. I'll see you at the march meet though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.