FF:NZ NZ Cricket Commentary box

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Chansplace, Jan 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chansplace Jedi Master

star 4
    We havent had a sports thread in a while, so I figured this would be appropriate with the National Bank Series currently underway New Zealand in the lead against India 3-0 (even if at times the wins have been slightly unconvincing). I'm assuming there are still cricket fans that post here, and if not, we'll soon find out :)

Went to the game at Jade yesterday, highlights for me:
    Nathan Astle - 22 runs off one over!
    Darryl Tuffey - superb bowling - 2/10 off 10 overs
    Some guy in the DB stand blowing up a condom on his head. :p

The World Cup squad has also been named:
    The team is: Stephen Fleming (captain), Andre Adams, Nathan Astle, Shane Bond, Chris Cairns, Chris Harris, Brendon McCullum, Craig McMillan, Kyle Mills, Jacob Oram, Mathew Sinclair, Scott Styris, Daryl Tuffey, Lou Vincent, Daniel Vettori.

Pity Nevin missed out, and I dont agree with Sinclair being in, and Fleming still needs to prove himself as a batsman. any thoughts?

2. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    The team is: Stephen Fleming (captain), Andre Adams, Nathan Astle, Shane Bond, Chris Cairns, Chris Harris, Brendon McCullum, Craig McMillan, Kyle Mills, Jacob Oram, Mathew Sinclair, Scott Styris, Daryl Tuffey, Lou Vincent, Daniel Vettori.

Pity Nevin missed out, and I dont agree with Sinclair being in, and Fleming still needs to prove himself as a batsman. any thoughts?

Sinclair was always going to be there, you don't put in a new captain for a World Cup. While his batting is sub-par, his slip fielding and general fielding tactics for the team are sound.

With Macallum keeping like he has been, there's no way he should be dropped for Nevin, so I agree with that selection.

I think McMillan can count himself very lucky. he's been showing no batting form at all of late, though he did manage a decent 20-odd in that last match, so maybe he'll come right for the cup. I hope so - he's a game breaker when he's seeing the ball well.

Hitchcock's unlucky too. I love Harris, but heck - big call taking him over Hitchcock I think.

So long as Bond, Harris and Cairns are fit, (and Sinclair & McMillian find some form) I think we have picked a pretty good squad.

Though I'd like to see Vettori with some more ball time in this Indian series. He's bowled about 1 over all season. Not a good buildup to the cup at all... :(
  3. Chansplace Jedi Master

star 4
    you don't put in a new captain for a World Cup. While (Fleming's) batting is sub-par, his slip fielding and general fielding tactics for the team are sound.

yep, his captaincy has been great IMO, I couldnt see anyone else leading the squad into the world cup, but really he shouldnt be an opener.

(mcmillan's) a game breaker when he's seeing the ball well.

I think thats why hes in the team, if he gets a partnership going with his cantab teammates (Cairns, Astle) he can put a dent in any bowlers stats.

Though I'd like to see Vettori with some more ball time in this Indian series

wouldn't we all. but I guess with his international experience, they will be wanting to give the pacemen a taste before the WC.
  4. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Now, I've played Rep Cricket for Auckland teams and stuff, but I've fully lost my connection with Cricket now-a-days.

I don't know half the team, let alone how we're doing.

We/I don't have SKY and I guess this could be the reason, but:

Flemming is a fine Captain.

Harry is a great all rounder.

Macca and Cairns get into the wing of things, we'll be sweetas.

Now, who are we playing soon? Apparently we've been playing India and got them all out for 108 the other day.

woohoo!
  5. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    How's the weather in Wellington today for the match this afternoon?

Tendulker back, Oram out, McMillian out, Harris in, Cairns in (12th man, surely), Vettori batting & bowling well (state shield yesterday) .

Could actually be an interesting game on the cards...?
  6. Darth_Graal Jedi Master

star 4
    well at this stage the black caps are 3/3, not looking too good..........
  7. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    You. Must. Be. Bloody. Kidding.

[face_plain]
  8. Darth_Graal Jedi Master

star 4
  9. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    See. Above. Statement.

[face_plain] [face_plain] [face_plain]
  10. Chansplace Jedi Master

star 4
    heres my preferred line up for the next match:
    Shane bond
    Shane bond
    Shane bond
    Shane bond
    Shane bond
    Shane bond
    Shane bond
    Shane bond
    Shane bond
    Shane bond
    Shane bond

12th man: Shane bond
  11. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Interesting. Who would the captain be?
  12. YouAgain Force Ghost

star 5
    INDIA Are 44/6 with 17.4 overs was going to go down but it was sold out!!
  13. Kai_Halicon Jedi Master

star 4
    44/6?

Damn, we're playing well. When I left home to come back to work from my lunchbreak about half an hour a go it was 23/3!

Looks like a good day in Hamilton today, but that's kind of a contradiction really>

:D

Ah, it's nice to grace the forums again.
  14. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Whose with me to go on a tour of some Indian boards here at TF.N and "point and laugh"?

:p

woohoo we won!

Fleming had a great knock... finally. Tuffy = man of the 02/03 season! w00t.
  15. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Flemming leads NZ to a stunning win over South Afrioca last night.

woohoo.
  16. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Makes up for the pain I was feeling after Team NZ did an "All Blacks" and dropped the ball in the last minute of the match, figuratively speaking.

But yes, wonderful top order contribution :)

// clap clap clap //
  17. Chansplace Jedi Master

star 4
    yep, sounded like a good game to watch.
    good on the boys for a stunning batting performance. wish I'd stayed up to watch it now...

From the scorecard, looks like Macca opened with a flourish of runs, and Astle did a good job in support of Fleming. Would be great to watch the highlights!
    Not the flashest NZ bowling, but it looks like even 307 would have been an easy target if the game hadnt been shortened. :)
  18. Tahi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Good old Fleming - who'd be a captain these days. You get nothing but criticism.
  19. JADES_FIRE Jedi Master

star 4
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE OI OI OI :p

Sorry guy's [face_mischief] I couldn't resist. ;)

Unfortunetly I think NZ'S choice not to play in Zim is going to cost them a super 6 spot. :(

Better to be save then sorry though. :cool:
  20. Chansplace Jedi Master

star 4
    the Black Caps are in! woohoo! :D
  21. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Unfortunetly I think NZ'S choice not to play in Zim is going to cost them a super 6 spot.

Can I take to him with a cricket stump Chans? Pwease?! :p

Good ol'Lewis Duckworth (SP?) system!

:D
  22. JEDIPAULAW Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    We will beat you, no worries. Athough you can have a xxxx on me after we have won ;).
  23. Darth_Graal Jedi Master

star 4
    xxxx? obviously still cant spell BEER! ;)

Are we sure no one else has been taking diuretics then?
  24. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Yea, no one else is as fat as Shane.

This one time (at band camp :p) I was at a cricket game at Eden Park (Auckland) and it was a provincial game (NZ) between Canterbury and Auckland and a guy was walking around the ground with a sign:

"Warne is fat"

Australia wasn't even playing, let alone Warne. As you can imagine, the crowd loved it. :p

25. JEDIPAULAW Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    He he, actually it owuld be a great fianl if it were between Australia and the Kiwis :D.

We comprehensively beat Sri Lanka last night to make it 13 one day wins in a row :D.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.