main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ NZ-made lightsabers

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by jp-30, Jul 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Star Wars weapons made in New Zealand

21.07.2003 8.01 am

Some of the most feared weapons in film history have been built by Rotorua's Kilwell Fibretube.

It made about 200 carbon-fibre tubes for the producers of Star Wars: Episode Three, the last instalment in the trilogy.

The fibreglass tubes are being used in the movie as lightsabres.

I assume these are the standin blades, not the hilts?

2. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    I'm not sure. The way they described it in the stuff.co.nz article TFN linked to, it sounded like they were talking about the standin blades.

But then they were saying 'we can't wait to see them on screen', so maybe it is the handles as well.

3. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Ahh. I hadn't seen the stuff article. It's definitely just the stand-in blades!

The aluminium rods actors had been using for lightsabers kept breaking, creating headaches for director George Lucas.

Producers spotted Kilwell Sports' carbon- fibre fishing rods in Australia and contacted one of the company's Brisbane-based agents to supply them with a similar product.

The fibreglass tubes, coated in texalium (a silver aluminium-based coating) were considered the perfect weight and strength to hold up to the challenge of physical battle scenes...

It is understood the lightsabers' "glow" will be added to the tubes by digital editors in post-production.

Hey, look there's where our blade was digitally replaced by something else. Woohoo! ;)

4. -Winter-

-Winter- Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    Fishing rods? lol.

At least we'll see them blades in the "Behind the Scenes" features. 8-}

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.