main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ NZ SW fan's musical taste ...

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SimplyThrilledHoney, Oct 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    There was a rather stupid topic on the Ep II forum a few weeks back, where someone asked for suggestions for "modern" songs as a s/t for Ep II. (I didn't know John Williams was dead, but ...)

What ensued was a bunch of American teenagers suggestions various nu-metal anthems for the fight scenes of the film.s Korn, Limp Bizkit and Creed.

Anyway, I was wondering if there are any music fans here, and if so, what you like?

I am *really* into music ... it probably *just* beats Star Wars in my list of obsessions. The last few things I've bought have been ...

Suede: A New Morning
    Tompaulin: Give Me a Riot In The Summertime.
    Beck: Sea Change
    Ryan Adams: Demolition (That's Ryan Adams, not Bryan Adams!)
    Belle & Sebastian: Storytelling
    Future Bible Heroes: Eternal Youth
    Fosca: Diary Of An Antibody
    The Brunettes: Holding Hands, Feeding Ducks
    Cinerama: Torino
    The Lovin' Spoonful: Daydream
    Josh Rouse: Under Cold Blue Stars
    The Butterflies Of Love: How To Know
    Saloon: (Is This What) We Call Progress

Anyone else want to share?

Lawrence

2. ACERIMMERROCKS

ACERIMMERROCKS Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2001
    metallica did an awsome version of the imperial march

3. jediknight35

jediknight35 Jedi Youngling

Jun 14, 2002
    Probaly some Cali punk,thats me anyway.No doubt did an awesome Imperial March.

4. Buzz-Bumble

Buzz-Bumble Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000

I'd have to say "The Smurfs" record is the best music I own ... at least I think I've stil got that circle of vinyl somewhere here. :)

I used to have "The Wombles" record as well, but someone broke that one. :(

5. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    I got my friend the Spongebob Squarepants album for her 21st. She's a really big fan. For those of you who have never seen the cult cartoon which is Spongebob ... you're probably lucky. Or unlucky, depending on who you talk to.

6. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

[image=http://www.nick.com/common/images/tv/new/spongebob/main_page/spongebob.gif]
    He lives in a pineapple under the sea ...

:D

7. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    well i havn't purchased much music of late, last couple of years has been quite slow.the last things i got were a bob dylan compilation, it was like 10$, and a st germain album, can't remember the title, but its the latest release...its pretty good, better than i thought it would be

8. Kai_Halicon

Kai_Halicon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    "Kai's music to live by."

Radiohead
    Ryan Adams
    The Strokes
    Augustino
    Veruca Salt
    Shihad (NOT Pacifier)
    The Cure
    New Order
    Tool
    Air
    Sneaker Pimps
    Pearl Jam
    Bush
    Steriogram
    Violet Femmes
    NIN
    Breathe
    The White Stripes
    Linkin Park
    Placebo

The list could go on, but them's the main ones.

EDIT: I could of made a specific list of tracks but I'd be here all day.

BTW, how stupid would it be to have a nu-metal sample on a SW battle scene? It's so thrashed and used now (think XXX, Blade, The Matrix) that orchestral tracks a-la DOTF just sound more dramatic.

I guess it could be worse and we could have Anakin and Obi Wan fighting over polka or yodelling.

:D

9. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    The thing with "rock" soundtracks is that they immediately date the movie, unless the soundtrack is *very very* good. Films which use the s/t to promote "hot new artists" or something are always going to sound crap. The only two films I can think of where a pop music score works are "American Graffiti" and "Rushmore". In both cases there was a lot of thought put into the selection and mood of the songs.

Kai, did you like Air's s/t to "The Virgin Suicides"? I thought it worked brilliantly.

10. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    You like Breathe, Kai?

I do their website, www.breathe.co.nz It's not that great, but was built a few years back to tie in with Don't Stop The Revolution. It's OK for it's time.

I think my favourite site (that I built) is www.dimmer.co.nz.

I had some help with bicrunga.com - her album designer did all the inital flash building and overall design, though I upgrade it & add new content.

11. Kai_Halicon

Jun 12, 2002
    Lawrence - The Virgin Suicides soundtrack was great. 'Playground Love' is one of those tracks that makes the drive home after a big night out end on a peaceful note.

JP - Yeah, Breathe are good. I've got a thing with Kiwi rock-pop music (my other job apart from whoring for Telecom is writing for Massey Albany's newspaper and I do a lot of music reviews.)

I thought of some more stuff I dig last night.

Headless Chickens (before Fiona McDonald left)
    Jeff Buckley
    Smashing Pumpkins (Lawrence - you know that Ryan Adams is forming a band with the remaining members of SP sans Billy Corgan?)
    The Stone Roses
    Live
    Fun Lovin' Criminals
    Split Enz
    Queens of The Stone Age
    Gerling
    Our Lady Peace
    Stone Temple Pilots

I think I've been to about twelve - fifteen gigs this year, everything from Tool to Phantom Planet - my friend works for Sounds, hence the hook-up.

*This is going to end up as the SWNZ music thread methinks*

12. Darth_Graal

Darth_Graal Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2001
    Sponge bob Rocks!
    who lives in a pineapple under the sea (sponge bob square pants) absorbent and porous and yellow is he....

haven't bought any music in a long long time, have however discovered a great internet radio station

basement
    which has some different stuff and if you misuse company bandwidth you can watch music vids too!!

13. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

A small news item for the Spongebob-ites ...
    SpongeBob SquarePants creator Stephen Hillenburg was named winner of the Statue Award from the Princess Grace Foundation, Variety reported.
    :)

14. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    My new favourite song

M*A*S*H theme With lyrics Suicide Is Painless

Thanks Slaveone_2 for telling me about it

15. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    Is that the Manic Street Peachers version? That is a fantastic cover, and probably the best thing they did, along with "Motorcycle Emptiness".

16. Kai_Halicon

Jun 12, 2002
    Just out of interest, is anyone going to the Big Day Out? The line up is looking pretty good as far as I'm concered.

17. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    keen on seeing pj harvey and wilco ... haven't realy heard any more announcements, but noone else really excited me that much ...

18. damolay

damolay Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2002
    QotSA, XZHIBIT, FOO FIGHTERS, DEFTONES...& thats jsut the first announced bands.

Can I get a whoopee?

I cant say what I like, cos the bandwidth woudl explode with the diverse range of music I'd mention.

If you have heard/listen to 95bFM, then you're like me & the other 30,000 devoted Auckland listeners.

BDO 2003, nuff said.

19. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000
    > Can I get a whoopee?

Blurrggghhh!!!! [face_sick]

:p

20. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    Kai & JP-30, you mentioned New Zealand music. Have either of you heard The Brunettes? I went to their album launch last Friday, and it would have to be the best gig I've seen in years. A good crowd, and the band hired a string section and trombone player, and they sounded fantastic. Their album, "Holding Hands, Feeding Ducks" is the best NZ album I've heard in years.

(Other NZ music highlights this year are Pine's "LongPlayer" and Goldenhorse's "Riverhead".)

Lawrence

21. Kai_Halicon

Jun 12, 2002
    A good friend of mine works for Sounds and he went to The Brunettes gig. He was pretty impressed and keeps trying to get me to listen to them. I wager I'll do so on both of your recommendations.

Last good kiwi band I liked was Steriogram, only cos I got a 'thank you' note in one of their singles due to my work for Massey's SATELLITE newspaper. Not the best band in the world but theire layered vocals are great.

I'm big into the White Stripes and Beck's new album at the moment, all good stuff.

22. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    The White Stipes are fantastic live ... I saw them at The Dogs Bollocks and at the BDO last year. (Although they were far better in a small, hot sweaty bar than in a paddock in the rain in the afternoon.) I like the new Beck too ... I much prefer his folky stuff to his more eclectic hip-hop/funk stuff.

I liked the Stereogram single about Westies (can't remember the name ...) Haven't hard anything else. I got a credit in The Brunettes album for doing their website. It's pretty cool isn't it?

Lawrence

23. Kai_Halicon

Jun 12, 2002

I'm off to this tonight, should be good. and for $ 20 you can't complain really.

Wednesday 20 Westend/Regent
    8.00pm till 8.30pm - Pan Am
    8.50pm till 9.20pm - Goldenhorse
    9.40pm till 10.10pm - Evermore
    10.30pm till 11.00pm - Betchadupa
    11.20pm till 11.50pm - Pluto
    12.10pm till 12.40pm - Augustino

24. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    cool ... I'm going tomorrow night to see The Brunettes and Pine, and maybe SJD if i can be bothered staying up that late. Did you know the bands have to _pay_ to play these gigs? I know The Brunettes were asked to pay $1500 to play tomorrow night, but refused, and MI ended up coughing up for them. $1500 is a lot of money for a struggling young band. still, I'm sure the gigs will be great.

25. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    Cool, but on a Wednesday night?

odd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.