main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ NZ SW fan's musical taste ...

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SimplyThrilledHoney, Oct 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I actually quite liked that YODA song :D

Okay - favourite music as at the moment. It just keeps growing.

Shihad
    The Feelers
    Split Enz
    Stellar*
    The Chills
    The Clean
    Crowded House
    Dave Dobbyn
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Dragon
    Grinspoon
    The Vines
    The Datsuns
    Betchadupa
    Fur Patrol
    Queen
    The Hollies
    Led Zeppelin
    Moody Blues
    Deep Purple
    Creed
    3 Doors Down
    Metallica
    Talking Heads
    Sting
    David Bowie
    I'll probably think of more tomorrow!!
    Also like Jazz.

2. Kai_Halicon

Kai_Halicon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    Well, The Breeders gig on Friday was great. Not only did they pull off a great setlist, including the theme from Buffy the Vampire Slayer and The Pixies' Gigantic but I got to meet SimplyThrilledHoney in person as well.

:D

The Brunettes were in top form, glad I've finally seen them live, though the first act, one-man-band Pumice left a lot to be desired. I like distortion on guitars as much as the next man, but not when it precludes everything muscial about an entire act.

[face_plain]

Well worth the piddly $35.

Next --> Ben Harper/Jack Johnson.

3. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    Aye, a good night had by all, aside from the fact that Pumice were the worst support act I've _ever_ seen. Still, The Brunettes played a great support slot, including an amazing cover of Blondie's "Pretty Baby", and The Breeders rocked, especially on "Gigantic".

Time for an "offical" Auckland meet-up, methings. Kitt - City Rep - how 'bout jacking something up?

STH

4. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    I'll make another thread for talking about Auckland meet-ups, to keep this one on music.

5. Kai_Halicon

Jun 12, 2002
    Saw Lambchop and David Kilgour w/Heavy Eight last Friday @ The King's Arms.

Pretty good value for $30.

My recommendations for the moment include:

The Music
    Goldenhorse
    The Libertines
    Last Days of April
    Seafood
    Placebo (new album looks brilliant)
    Zwan (okay after a few listens)

6. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    Kai ... didn't see you at Lambchop ... I thought it was a great gig, although slightly spoilt by people talking a bit too loudly, and some annoying guy near me who kept yelling out in Spanish.

I really like the Zwan album ... it's good, dumb glam-pop ... and, IMHO, the best thing Corgan's done since "Adore".

7. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    It's New Zealand music month, so I may as well revie this thread ...

Is anyone going to any of the True Colours gigs this weekend? I'm kinda annoyed at how expensive they are, but will be see Pine do an instore at Groovy on Friday night, and again at the art gallery on Saturday @ 2pm if anyone's keen for a pint afterwards ...

Also, the new 6-part documentary on TV1, "Give It A Whirl", about the history of NZ music startd last night. It was great. My theory is that Ray Columbus could have been huge if he didn't look like a monkey.

8. Kai_Halicon

Jun 12, 2002
    I'm somewhat disappointed in NZ music month. Apart from True Colours, there haven't been that many gigs whereas last year I saw something like eight Kiwi acts in less than a fortnight.

Pine would be good to see. Love the fact they're just a snare drum, keyboard and guitar.

As a member of a struggling NZ band, I'm a little bit let down by the fact that it doesn't seem to be as organised at last year, but hey, that's just my perpetual complaining.

On the international front, I see Placebo are playing here end of June. If the price is right, it'll be a goer. Their latest album Sleeping With Ghosts is more of a return to form than Black Market Music.

Here are my song recomendations this week:

The White Stripes - 7 Nation Army
    Placebo - The Bitter End
    Electric 6 - High Voltage
    The Datsuns - Harmonic Generator (which incidentally, I can play a shocking cover of.)

9. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    "Seven Nation Army" is one of the best album-openers of all time. Isn't "Elephant" brilliant though? Have you seen the video for that song? It's fantastic.

Never really liked Placebo ... I always thought that they were a sub-par Suede. And Suede look cooler and have better songs and a singer with a less irritating voice.

10. ACERIMMERROCKS

ACERIMMERROCKS Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2001
    Ive been listening to the the cheesy 80s sound track of transformers the movie and the songs from gta:vice scitys vrock radio channel and lots of queen latly

11. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    > gta:vice scitys vrock radio channel and lots of queen latly

Sorry Ace ... I have NO[/i] idea what that last part of your sentance meant.

Yeah, I seem to recall the s/t of Transformers the Movie was quite metal-y ... I thought that was pretty cool when I was 12, but don't think I could stomach it now. That being said, I _dreamt_ about that film the other night, so I have no idea what is going on in my subconscious ...

12. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    [translation]I have been listening to the "v-rock" channel in-game radio station in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (or maybe the associated CD that was released), and also listening to the band Queen.
    [/translation]

13. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    lol - and the post in the thread about exams - that time of year again... sigh. ACE's post was almost perfect. :p

Last few CD's I've purchased:

Foo Fighters: One by One
    AudioSlave:
    Queens of the Stone Age: Songs for the Deaf
    Van Morrison: Greatest Hits
    Jack Johnson: Brushfire Fairytales

On the "to buy" list:

Jack Johnson: (new release - forgotten album name)

All been good buys.

14. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    > On the "to buy" list:
    > Jack Johnson: (new release - forgotten album name)

No offence SFL ... but I once read Jack Johnson desrcibed as "date rape rock", and now I just can't shake that description. It was an American girl who said it ... and she was including people like Ben Harper and John Mayer in the list as well, and was using the term because all the redneck college frat-boys at her University used that sort of music to show how "sensitive" they were whilst plying girls with alcohol.

I digress ...

If anyone wants to hear THE album of the year, no question, go straight to Real Groovy (providing you like in Auckland) and by the new Pernice Brothers album "Yours, Mine & Ours". It's not often that the first few chord of a song make me want to burst into tears, but this album is the most breathtakingly beautiful happy/sad thing I've heard in ages. It makes me wish I was 17 again, just 'cause I know that an album like this would have made being 17 a hell of a lot easier.

Right ... back to work. Soundtrack for today - New Order's "Power, Corruption & Lies".

15. Kai_Halicon

Jun 12, 2002
    Each to our own, eh kids?

I can see where you're coming from, STH. Whilst I don't mind Jack Johnson or Ben Harper (can't stand John Mayer - something about those generic Midwestern American pretty boys looks just makes me lose interest), there seems to be a sudden influx of 'soft-pop-rock-accoustic-touchy-feely-spading' music which reminds me of why I avoid so much mainstream.

My band plays a pretty average cover of Jack Johnson's 'Flake' but only because it has such great slide guitar in it.

My new band of the moment is Interpol. You've really got to hear them to know the sound - it's kind of dark-rock-pop but hideously catchy. If yer another one of the downloading generation, add the following tracks to your 'must listen' list

Obstacle 1
    Obstacle 2
    Stella
    NYC

Satisfaction gauranteed.

16. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    > My new band of the moment is Interpol. You've really got to hear them to know the sound - it's kind of dark-rock-pop but hideously catchy. If yer another one of the downloading generation, add the following tracks to your 'must listen' list

Yeah, I bought that album a few months ago, having had it recommended by a few friends. It's very cool ... there's a certain tension to the music, which reminds me of the best bits of Joy Division and early New Order. That very melodic bass, and stabbing guitar. I think Interpol very much in the UK post-punk vein, with a certain New York cool thrown in. They probably spent their childhoods with a bunch of Psychedelic Furs albums which used to belong to their older brothers. Definately the best band to come out of the US in a while, and far superior to the (in my opinion) much-overrated Strokes. They're playing
    Australia next month I think. (sigh)

17. Kai_Halicon

Jun 12, 2002
    My band is trying to do a cover of Obstacle1 at the moment - the guitars are pretty easy. It's just trying to get the same potent vocal effects.

I agree that Interpol are the best thing from the US in ages - if you like them, check out The Libertines, they're also pretty decent.

18. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Hey, I hear what your saying but I've been into stuff like Punk for my high school years - mainly cause my friends listened to it, so I thought I liked it to - and some yea I do. But lately my musical appreciation is widening and is varied.

I mean - you look through my bag of CD's I have stuff from Nirvana to Split Enz. Bad Religion to Rage Against the Machine.

I appreciate Jack Johnson for the melodies and the laxed feel to it - just a change from Hard stuff like System of a Down.

And it doesn't have swearing all through it. Sure if an EMENEM song comes on the radio I listen and some I enjoy (my mum even listens to some of his stuff lol - Stan)

But yea some people may use JJ or Ben Harper to score chicks - that's up to them. I appreciate the music and listen to it cause I enjoy it and I get a satisfaction out of the tunes.

I've meet some great american friends this year and this one chick, Ember, came over the other night to have a look through some CD's as we have very similar tastes in music - I don't buy muisic and listen to it to pick up chicks - but if it happens, FINE. :p

19. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    > I mean - you look through my bag of CD's I have stuff from Nirvana to Split Enz. Bad Religion to Rage Against the Machine.

Sorry SLF ... didn't mean for you to take me above comment as a personal slight, and sorry if you did ...

You line quoted above reminded me of a line from Garath Keenan in "The Office:". Did you watch that show? He's accused of being homophobic and says "... come round to my house and have a look at my CD collection. George Michael, Queen ... The Pet Shop Boys. They're all bummers."

I like the idea that someone's CD collection "says something" about what sort of person they are. I'd hate to think what people would think of me if they saw mine though ... it's pretty odd and eclectic, and, what with my increasing fascination with country music, extremely unfashionable.

20. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    heh heh - Na I didn't take it personal. But I listen to the music I want to these days. I don't follow trends (ie: high school) and don't care if others don't like the music I like. I appreciate music for what it is and get satisfaction out of buying it and listening to it. Jack Johnson has catchy laxed tunes - I'm loving it right now.

//shrugs shoulders//

21. Darth_Graal

Darth_Graal Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2001
    My CD collection is very eclectic as is the 4 gigs of music on my PC. Which includes eveything from classical to classic rock

My current "happy" song (i.e the one that gives me a quick pick up) is Istanbul(not constantinople) by they might be giants. I think its a cover but don't know who did the original

22. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    all the redneck college frat-boys at her University used that sort of music to show how "sensitive" they were whilst plying girls with alcohol.

So it's true!!
    So, while I'm here ... I'll be meeting my somewhat-naive friend's new boyfriend at some stage soon, and I suspect he's just using the 'I love you' line because he got sick of his last girl and is looking for another sure thing. Now I know to ask him what kind of music he likes ... //notes down dodgy names .. any other pointers?

23. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    My current "happy" song (i.e the one that gives me a quick pick up) is Istanbul(not constantinople) by they might be giants. I think its a cover but don't know who did the original

They Might Be Giants changed my life ... I must have been 15 or so, and they were the first "non-commerical" band I discovered. I must have played that album ("Flood") twice a day for about a year, and then I discovered The Smiths ...

Kitt ... I suspect that if a guy goes on about how "sensitive" he is, he probably isn't. "Real" sensitive boys are usually too shy to talk about their feelings, especiallyto members of the opposite sex. Sounds like a "chick pulling device" if you ask me.

24. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Not nessessarily.

But sure, Kitt if you wanna label a guy for the music he likes (which is this whole last discussion we're having) go ahead. But what I've been trying to get across is that the music someone listens to DOES NOT mean they are something or anotherthing!

[face_plain]

25. Kai_Halicon

Jun 12, 2002
    True. Just because I listen to one thing or another does not mean I've subscribed to specific subculture. I would consider myself to be extremely varied and open to new things in the music world.

Whilst I'm renowed for listening to kitch bands and musicians like The White Stripes, Ryan Adams, Interpol and The Breeders, you'd also find hip-hop cd's like Outkast and Jurassic 5 in my collection as hard metal thrash like early 80's Metallica and Pantera. Look hard enough and you'll find Madonna, Culture Club, Duran Duran and other classic pop-trash.

However, that doesn't mean I:

a. Drive round in my ride with my tru-skool crew, popping playerz with my gat who are trippin in my crib and stealing the local ho's.

b. Wear only black jerseys and tight jeans, sport a mullet, have a Holden in bits and pieces on my front lawn and drinky beer 24/7.

c. Have permed hair, wear lots of belts and sequins whilst hangin out in disco's sipping margerittas and complaining about the rest of the world's lack of style.

Instead, I'm that dopey guy who looks like a cross between a dishevelled bohemian BA student and a Britpop rock star who instead of succumbing to something within the square of conformity choses to instead skate the fringe.

Music does not define us. It merely points to an indication of what we might be.

::Endith thy rant::

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.