main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ NZFF will be around to End of August to give you time to arrange an event.

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Adalia-Durron , Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    There's no need for uninvolved people to come in and berate all of us just because one person attacked Adalia. Honestly, comments like this:

"It's not hard to have a meet. All it needs is 3 of you to go and watch Clone Wars or something."

"All well & good to say you're passionate about the place but if that were the case you lot would post here more frequently."

are just rubbing salt in the wound considering our board is being closed down in less than a week. The nice thing to do is to just offer your sympathy and leave us to say goodbye. The majority of us appreciate that Adalia is only delivering the message and hold nothing personal against her or any of the fanforce mods.

btw, everyone is invited to the farewell party.

peace out,
    Kitt

2. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    The outpost42 forums look much more user friendly than the official starwars ones....

3. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003

Please, have a farwell party, have one in RL and save this place. I'm sorry you guys are taking this all so personally as it is not a personal thing at all. I cannot stop you from leaving, but you are very welcome at the Oceania Regional Discussions forum, where you could open a 'New Zealand Discussion Thread' and interact with the users there and your own members.

No one was berating anyone, Halibut was trying to be nice, but at this stage it feels like whatever anyone says to you guys, you seem to think we are being or mean or sarcastic. Simple fact is no one is trying to be like that, we are only trying to explain to you why this is happening and how you can stop it.

4. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    "Please, have a farwell party, have one in RL and save this place"

We can't have a farewell party in real life. As has already been said several times, we're geographically spread out down this entire country. It would involve plane flights/hours of driving/a lot of paddling in a kayak over the Cook Strait to get us together. Given that we have less than a week to go, and we're people with jobs and families, there is nothing we can realistically do to save this place. So coming here and telling us that it's 'easy to meet up' when our board is being closed down is not nice or sensitive to our situation. However, I appreciate that it wasn't intended that way.

5. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    As I have said many times, I do appreciate the distance difficulties and understand as I too have a family.

6. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Guys, you don't have to have a meet within 7 days. What should be happening is you peeps working towards that. I understand that people are spread out. But if there's a couple of you in an area, find a mate, get him/her posting and go and have a starbucks. Finding new friends and members is all part and parcel of fanforce.

Nobody expects anything to happen overnight. But there needs to be an element of moving forward.

7. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    After talking to other RSA's and Admins it has been decided that if you guys can show us some attempt to arrange a meet up (like Halibut said, doesn't have to be in the next week) we will reconsider the situation. You might want to arrange a meeting in a months time or 6 weeks for members to attend a picnic in a park or similar. That gives people time to make arrangements and plan ahead. I hope this helps you all and gives you the time you need to do what you can.

8. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    Well if anyone in actually wants to make an effort I'm keen to make a trip up to Auckland to help with numbers?

I'm assuming thats where we could get the most likely amount of people?

9. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    This is such crap. Seriously. The NZ FF is spread across an entire country. Whatever the rules say, for NZ SW fans *this* is the place we've always met. Personally, should this chapter close down, I know that it'll be the last time I ever post/read anything on the FanForce boards because this is the *only* part of the site I visit.

Mark - God only knows what you said before you got picked out - I don't always agree with everything you say, but I admire your passion and your commitment. I raise a toast, and hope that no one stays too offended for too long.

One final point for all the people who are suddenly dropping in to make dumb, trite comments.

WE. ALL. LIVE. IN. DIFFERENT. CITIES.

10. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Gotta love bureaucracy :rolleyes:

11. Norrad_Roff

Norrad_Roff Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2001
    So it is true. All FanForces are NOT created equal.

Sorry guys, I will apologise in advance for not attending any farewell party. I will have make an expensive trip to get there.

If you do have a get together post some photos in our virtual community.

12. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    ^ This.

We have a FanForce for an entire country about the size of Japan or the UK. This IS where we meet up to talk about Star Wars. It's the only viable option when we're all so spread out and where the population base of the entire country is 4 million.

So if 3 of us were to meet for a coffee every 4 months, the board would stay? Seems a bit... arbitrary to me.

Mark was here for dinner 2 nights ago and we discussed the Clone Wars movie - does 2 constitute an 'event'?

13. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    It's a minimum of three to constitute a fanforce event and it has to be advertised on the board.

Mods, thanks for giving us to at least the end of August to plan an event. I feel more positive that doing something could be a possibility. Coffee in Auckland is probably our best bet going by the previous suggestions.

In the long term, we're going to need to look into other options for an online community for kiwi Star Wars fans. Otherwise we're going to be bound to the rules and regulations of fanforce.

14. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Yeah, honestly, I think we're better off just buggering off to somewhere else.

Though the more I think about it it does seem ridiculous (arbitrary) that we are a handful of Kiwi Star Wars fans spread around the country (and globe) and we'll be unable to communicate here and bring the site owners a few cents of ad revenue, because in our case the online world is more practical a venue to meet and discuss Star Wars than a ******* Starbucks in one of our cities.

What concern is it of "FanForce (tm)" that we have to meet here due to our singular Fanforce taking in 1600 kilometers of country? :(

It's somewhat ironic that FanForce will probably be the reason we can no longer keep touch with our fellow Star Wars fans in New Zealand.

When we do get Alderaaned, can you please keep us in your Oceania banner like you have with Guam? [face_flag]

15. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    what he said.

Also, without going all super-nerd, isn't this the kind of bureaucratic idiocy which led to the downfall of the Republic and the rise of the Empire.

Thanks for nothing, Fan Force.

16. farmboynz

farmboynz Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2001
    i agree with with all of you

i have moved overseas and even though it is to aussie, and although i dont post i enjoy reading the kiwi banter and would miss it greatly

maybe i should start posting more if that helps

hope you guys can arrange a "formal" meeting to keep the power at be happy

does having a conference call on msn or skype count?

well off to have some more small woodlands creatures for dinner

17. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Closed due to agreement with Admins after long discussions by Adalia.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.