main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

O/T:LotR Eowen's white dress.

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by The_Lady_THX, Aug 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Lady_THX

The_Lady_THX Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 16, 2003
    Does anyone know of a pattern that could be used for this dress?

[image=http://www.lordoftherings.net/legend/gallery/images/edoras/edoras1.jpg]

Thanx!

Lady

2. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    First, we have a LOTR costume thread here.

Second, the absolute best place for LOTR costuming on the web is Alley Cat Scratch. They have tons of research and information and can answer your questions far better than we can.

Caitlin

3. The_Lady_THX

The_Lady_THX Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 16, 2003
    Thank you so much!

Mods, could you lock this now?

Lady

4. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    awesome link! At Gen-Con, there was a woman wearing a nice Eowyn.

5. Jedi_Kai

Jedi_Kai Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    Here is a friend's Eowyn
    Eowyn

and go to the next photo to see the detail of the belt she made.

I'll try to remember to ask her what pattern she used.

6. skywalker325

skywalker325 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    [face_shocked]!!!!!!! How did she do that belt? It's AWESOME!! And the ribbons are great too. Man, mine is good, but the detail on hers is great. :)

7. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    And don't forget our Neimhaille who had also done the White Wool Gown. ;)

Here're some of the patterns as recommanded at ACS anyway:

McCall 3861

Butterick 3552 - (Princess seamed the full length, Long wide train) Looks really nice for Eowyn's White dress. Sleeves almost look right. Would need to change the neck line to a V-neckline if trying for really accurate. Also good for the Funeral Garb dress, use the sleeves from View B (since all we know is that they are full), round the neck instead of the square and add a mandarin collar dickie - this pattern already has a back zip which the Brown Velvet must also have since there is no opening in the front view of that neckline!

Simplicity 9891 - for those who do want some princess line shaping. For the White Dress, use the plain front of view A (or work out view B without the lacing and trim) and adapt it for a V-neck, and the tight sleeves of views B/C but adapt them or either the square "tippets" that she seems so fond of (lose the bow on the butt and the sash!). For the Green Gown use View C; which already has a pointed collar insert (at this time we can't tell if the dress has a double collar like this pattern, or whether that is an illusion due to the heavy gold trim creating a yoke effect). Cut the dress for a waist seam, create two skirts - or a skirt and a false front - and attach them together at the waist which should hide behind a gold belt. The top skirt should be split along the CF, possibly even angled open (we can't tell) to show the brocade skirt/front beneath. Use the sleeves from View A, but adapt them to a looser upper arm before they bell out. This could also work for the Funeral Garb, but we can't see much to tell other than it has a neckline similar to View C except with a mandarin collar insert instead of the rolled collar and it has large sleeves (don't forget to add the tight undersleeves).

Simplicity 8192 - (loose, unfitted dress with scoop front neck and belled sleeves) could be used for the White Dress if you don't want a very fitted look. Square off the bottom part of the sleeve pattern.

Simplicity 9753 - use pattern for Merlin(!) for another way of making Eowyn's long sleeved dresses (the White Dress, or the Funeral Garb). This pattern basically gives you a flat, untailored "dress" with no darts or princess lines - if you are petite enough to wear this style (you may want to take it in at the sides, it is designed for a man). Adapt the sleeves for whichever dress you are making.

Oh, the LOTR Costumes Thread is here

8. Jedi_Kjersti_Renn

Jedi_Kjersti_Renn Jedi Youngling

Jun 26, 2002
    Okay I'm the one in the picture with the belt :) I'm really happy with how the belt turned out but it took forever. I used cross stitch canvas (you might want something more off-white) and thick crafting wire from JoAnn's and I just bend the wire around in all of those shapes. I used alleycatscratch.com or .net or whatever for all of the great pictures they have. I used that Simplicity pattern for the sleeves and the length of the dress and used the top of a T-shirt for the top of the dress, then just added the v-neck. I also used a train from a wedding dress... the back of my dress is not correct, but it was easy to make and it looks fine. If you want more hints or tips you can PM me. Oh, and I just used a $2/yd polyester material because it washes really well (the bottom hem gets dirty whenever I wear it). The thin off-white wool that was used is WAY too expensive.

9. Jedi_Kjersti_Renn

Jedi_Kjersti_Renn Jedi Youngling

Jun 26, 2002
    Oh, and I just read that post on suggested patterns... and I was rather suprised to see that both of the patterns I used were mentioned! I used that McCall's pattern for the train (not exactly right, but it looks good) and I used the Simplicity pattern 9891 for the sleeves. For the front, I just made my own pattern using a fitted T-shirt to estimate my size and then drew in a v-neck and just measured it to the floor with the front piece of the Simplicity pattern as an estimate for the shape, but no seams in the front. I added lining to everything.

10. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    Sigh, I knew there was another reason I wanted to buy the wool again... Global Fabrics here (which supplieda lot of fabrcis to the films tv series shot in and around Auckland) has a super fine wool, like a gauze. I'm using it for an historical gown right now.

I used micro crepe for my white dress (already linked to above, thank you for remembering;) ), and the mud just washes out of the hem with cold water which means if you are at a picnic (like I was) then you can clean it right then and there and not panic.

Sleeves, I wouldn't bother with looking for a pattern for them. Just use the upper of any fitted sleeve patern and add a half oval from the elbow down.

I need to alter my belt. I made it long before we had any real photos of the dress as worn so my belt is too wide. But I have a great metal belt and then all I need do is narrow the fabric belt base.

But then I'm wanting to alter the dress too... after September though if I do;) Going to Wellington for a con and Weta will be there;)

11. JediMistressDragon

JediMistressDragon Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 20, 1999
    The best thing to do is check the patterns out there, both under Simplicity and McCalls and Buttericks. Also a good source for historical and folkwear costumes is from this place--they've been selling great patterns since 1970s:
    http://www.alteryears.com/.
    JMD
    'Costuming since 1973'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.