main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Syra, NY O-Week

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Katana_Geldar, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    I know this seems a little premature but we need to start thinking about it if we want to make a big bang. We need to know who will be able to help set up our stand on clubs and societies day, who will help with the stand and of course what we want to do. I think someone suggested selling blue milk at one stage as a gimmick.

Gunray and I were talking about having a trivia night at the uni and getting a room, perhaps even making up some of our own questions as some of the ones in the trivia pursuit game are a little too easy.

Any ideas, comments?

(BTW, O-week is the first week of uni when people start turning up. Classes don't really start and people generally get drunk. Unlike some uni's Utas O-week lasts a week whereas some unis like Sydney and UTS have it only for a few days)

2. Shadowfire

Shadowfire Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 1998
    O Week at CSU is a full week!

Best fun you'll have.

I'd offer to help setup the club, but you'd all have to move to CSU for that to happen.

The SW Trivial Pursuit questions may be easy for us, but not so for the average pundit.

3. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    From playing the game I'd say about 70% of the questions were too easy, like answering who said a well-quoted line.

The questions on the DVD were quite good though, esp the one to win the game. It would be fun if we had teams

4. Shadowfire

Jul 14, 1998
    The last time FFNSW had a SW Trivial pursuit game (in fact the only time) the winning team was the team who went first.

They won because they answered every question correctly.

5. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Let me guess, the other teams didn't have much of a chance?

Hmm, perhaps we could reconsider some of this.

6. Viceroy_NuteGunray

Viceroy_NuteGunray Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2005
    For the SW Trivual Persuit I think there should be a limit of say five questions you can get correctly before the other team can go, because the questions are so bloody easy. Otherwise one team is going to answer all the questions and the other team won't get a chance to answer any and would make it grossly unfair.

7. Shadowfire

Jul 14, 1998
    Oh no, the first team won because they answered every question correctly. Something like 50 questions in a row and we'd picked up all the pieces. The other team only got to touch the die at the start when we rolled to see who would go first.

Naturally, I captained thw winning team!

8. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    I have an idea, we have several rounds where you earn points for every correct question you answer. Each team has a marker, and when the marker goes on a category the team nominates someone to answer the question. But after you answer correctly it goes to the next team and so on.

When the game finishes at the end of five rounds, the two top teams answer a question from each category and the one with the most answers wins.
    I picked five as it's a nice number, but it could be three I guess. Depending on how long we want it to go for.

9. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Scrub the trivia night, here's some news about getting sponsored by the uni.

I just handed in the form so we would have a stand at clubs and societies day (28th feb), with luck we'll go next to anime so Death_Ab can help us out as he's the anime club pres (or was last time I checked).

There's this constitution thing I have to read and fill out with all our members that's about as long and complicated as Bib Fortuna, Twilek's post history.

Just letting everyone know we are on our way to get new members, hopefully. May the Force be with us.

10. Amaya_Unduli

Amaya_Unduli Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 13, 2005
    What's the latest on the O-Week arrangements?

I've updated the news page on the temp site at http://www.cyberartspace.com/FFTas/News but I don't know what times you guys will be at the stall.

Also, as I've been known to get our email mixed up, could someone tell me if fftas@fanforce.net is correct or not? I don't have any of the pamphlets with me to check.

11. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Yes, that is in fact our e-mail address and we will be on the stand from 10am-2pm

12. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    It is now 2.30 and I finally got to a computer that will let me log on.

Viceroy and I were there from nine so we got a good spot right in front of a message board where we put the posters up. We managed to get 4 new members and have about 6 maybes which might turn up at the meeting on Thursday.

Don't worry, Amaya, there are a lot of photos including some funny ones of a pelican with lightsabers.

13. woppo

woppo Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 30, 2004
    Sounds like a good start, was it a fun day?

14. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Kinda, we spent a lot time just watching the crowds though and I got sunburnt from standing around all day.

But the day was not all wasted.

15. Amaya_Unduli

Sep 13, 2005
    Err... Should I even ask how that happened?o_O I sure don't remember any pelicans hangin about last time I was at UTAS.[face_laugh]

That's great news. I don't know what is going to be the easiest way to get the pics, but maybe if you just email them to me on my uni email (it's on the contact list) then I can start putting them up.

16. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    We're going to scan them and put them on photobucket.com where I host my images.

From there you can put them on the website

17. Amaya_Unduli

Sep 13, 2005
    Scan? How quaint:).

18. --Azrael--

--Azrael-- Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2005
    LOL

19. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Well Viceroy brought an ordinary film camera which I actually had to tell him how to load.

20. JawaPro

JawaPro Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 19, 2006
    Any progress on those photos? I'd like to see em and we should put them on the webpage.

21. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    I'd like them there too but Viceroy has the camera and it has ten photos left.

Maybe I'll ask him to bring it to the meeting on Wednesday and take some photos of us to use it up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.