main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA Oaks Moonlight Matinee Planning thread

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by greencat336, May 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    Since this runs all summer, I figured just make one thread for it.

Here's the schedule of events at the Oakes. Unless otherwise stated, there will be an standing meet time of 11:45 for the Saturday midnight show.

The first of the Moonlight Matinee's is on May 29th. Lost Skeleton of Cadavra. A movie with everything you could possibly want. Brave scientist hero, pretty blond love interest, dancing aliens, walking evil skeleton, cat-woman (as in woman who thinks she's a cat, not Catwoman of Batman fame), evil henchmen, murderous mutants . . .

Truly, a classic in filmmaking that shouldn't be missed.

2. ben_ethus

ben_ethus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Awww, Chris.... you beat me to it! I was gonna make this thread this afternoon. Oh well... heh heh...

Not sure if I'm planning on hitting "Cadavra," although I'd very much like to see the flick. I gotta check and see what's up.

A few seconds too slow,
    Yours Truly

3. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I definately want to see these one's:

EVIL DEAD 2 (either night)
    MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL (July 3rd only)

There are a fwe others I'd like to see if I'm available but these two I'm definately going to be there for.

4. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

This weekend's midnite show is John Waters's 'classic' Pink Flamingos! I've never actually seen this flick, but I've been meaning to for a long time. I've heard it's pretty raw, so I hope you have a strong stomach... heh heh...

Show starts at midnite on Saturday night at the Oaks in Oakmont, down the street from the Grey Goose. Meet time out front of the theater is 11:30pm. I'm going to try to be there. Maybe I'll see YOU!

Thinks John Waters is a strange guy,
    Yours Truly

5. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    I was planning on going until I read the description of the movie. Ick. Didn't seem like my thing.

6. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Greencat... I don't blame you on that one. It was quite literally the most disgusting movie I think I've ever seen. And I've seen a lot of movies...

Time for bed,
    Yours Truly

7. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    As of this moment, I'm planning on seeing Games People Play on the 12th. Anyone else going?

8. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Greencat... Since I'll be out of town this weekend, I'm planning on catching "Games People Play" on Monday the 14th @ 7:30 for the weekly Monday discussion. If no one else signs up for the midnite show, and you still want to see it, I'd be more than happy to meet up on Monday since seeing movies is always more fun with someone else. :)

Viva la cinema,
    Yours Truly

9. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    I am going to try and catch Seven Samurai on the 19th or 20th. It's 3 hours long and unfortunately only playing at midnight on Saturday and 10pm on Sunday. At the moment I am leaning towards going to the the midnight showing.

10. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    I'm planning on going to the Saturday midnight showing of the Seven Samurai.

11. jedi_master_sal

jedi_master_sal Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    If I'm not mistaken this movie was seen by George Lucas and he has stated it had an influence over Star Wars.

WHOA, hold the phone. I just check IMDB.com and I know for a fact it is the one.

Lucas has a liking for Akira Kurosawa directed pictures and this is one of them.

Hmm, might have to make a special trip for this one. Even if just to look for where it might have influenced SW. If I can't make it, would someone please give us a review with details, especially those that pertain to it's influence on SW.

Thanks,
    -Sal

12. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I might be going to this one as well. I might be going to see Styx and Peter Frampton that weekend so I'll let you know later in the week.

13. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

I'm hitting up the 7:30 "Games People Play" tonite if anybody's still interested. I might be there with one or two or three of my cronies, so if you go, just look for me. I'll be there.

On a side note, they updated their website today to say that they will be showing the entire Kill Bill Saga in its entirety later this month, in addition to the Director's Cut of Donnie Darko (one of my favorite movies).

Best. Movie Theater. Ever.

Loves the Oaks,
    Yours Truly

14. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    I will be watching for influential scenes Sal. While taking a documentary film class in college, I watched a German (Hitler) propaganda film called Triumph of the Will, which amazed me with some of its similarities to the final scene in ANH. Obviously, George has seen that film. Search the net for some pics of how it compares. It was kind of crazy that a film made to make Hitler look good seemed to be an influence on Star Wars.

15. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Hmmm, I thought I read somewhere that it was the Japanese film "The Fortress" that Uncle George borrowed from . . . I do know (as most everyone does) that the Seven Samura became the Magificent Seven, almost word for word :)

16. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    another great movie at the Oaks. I enjoyed seeing the Seven Samurai again, and it was neat to see it on the big screen. The turn out for viewing the movie, however, was smaller than expected. Just the Twins and me. It was a good time, though.

Next Saturday . . . Evil Dead 2!

17. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    Argh. I completely forgot. I guess I will try to catch it at 10:30 tonight, maybe.

18. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Another Moonlight Matinee, another fun filled evening. :)

Next week is Quest for the Holy Grail, and the theater will most likely be packed. Those that are going should make sure to be there by 11:30 so we can get good seats.

19. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Because of the eclectic work schedules of our group, people are now attending both the Saturday night (meet at 11:30) and the Sunday night (meet at 9:30) showings. So odds are good if you show up either night, you will find someone else there.

Holy Grail was entertaining as always. We had folks there both nights, although sadly none of us won the shrubberys that were being raffled off. Sunday night we did get to meet a young woman named Meghan, who either needs to work on her delievery of sarcasm or who was genuinely impressed with our group's ability to say the lines along with the movie.

July 10 & 11 at the Oakes is Network. The raffle item is a year subscription to TV guide.

July 17 & 18 is Run Lola Run. Redheads are admitted two for one! I'm planning on going to the Sunday the 18th showing.

20. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Network was a fantastic, fascinating movie. It was about how the networks are willing to anything in pursuit of high ratings, a commentary on how even the so called news on the TV is still entertainment, and a criticism about the effect of TV on our culture (superficial, short attention span, needing more and more extreme programing because we have become emotionally and mentally numb)

Update the clothing and it could have been made this year instead of 30 years ago. Which in a way is very depressing, because most Americans continue to rot their brain for several hours a day in front of the idiot box.

Anyway, it was a very interesting movie.

Next week, Run Lola Run. Which, sadly, I will most likely not get to go see. I'm going camping and I don't think I'll get back into town in time to see this. Ah, well. There is always the Manchurian Candidate after the meeting on the 25th.

21. ZeroCool69

ZeroCool69 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2002
    It was nice to meet Meghan. She seemed to be,....umm....impressed by our love of the movie. I mean, we didn't recite the *entire* movie, and we weren't screaming it or anything. Who knows, maybe we'll see Meghan at the Oaks again :)
    Monty Python was very very much fun. Granted, I did not win my padawan, Shrubi-Wan, but sometimes you eat the bar. Eat n Park afterwards was fun, even though getting there was a little adventuresome.
    Glad to hear The Network was a good movie.
    I should be able to make it for Run Lola Run, though it'll be Sunday. And I'll probably have to go after it's over, since I have to work the next day. So, who else is up for it?

22. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    The twins and I were there on Sunday, Zero. Where were you??? It was a good flick, although the scream thing to win at roulette was a bit puzzling.

This week, Manchurian canidate! see the original before going to see Denzel in the new one. I'll be going Saturday night, first 52 people get a deck of cards!

23. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Turns out I have to move furniture between apartments on Monday night, so unless you guys want to wait until Wednesday to see Donnie Darko: Director's Cut I won't be able to make it at the regularly scheduled time.

I reckon just let me know what you folks want to do.

Hates the fact he can't make it,
    Yours Truly

24. MetalliJedi

MetalliJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2002
    I take it that is playing Saturday? hmm I'm in I don't have to work or anything.

25. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Donnie Darko opens on Friday Aug 6. The original plan was to see it on Monday, Aug 9 with a meet outside the theater at 7PM.

I don't know who all was planning on going Monday.

I am fine with setting up a meet time on Weds Aug 11 at 7PM. I think the Twins might have been planning on going Monday and with their work schedule I don't know if they could make the switch easily.

Hmmm. Perhaps I will go on Monday, then again on Weds.

As for this weekends Moonlight Matinee (The Warriors) I haven't decided if I'm going or not yet, or if I'll go Saturday or Sunday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.