main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oasis

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Obi-Kedobi, Jul 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Kedobi

Obi-Kedobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 28, 2002
    They've got a new album out so i thought now would be a good time to disscuss them. Their 1st 3 albums are great pop/rock 'n' roll records. The last two have been lazy half assed efforts at trying to write some top tunes but they just can't do it anymore. Liam's songs on the new album are the best ones. Noel has lost it IMHO.

JCC for fanclubs...

2. klingklang

klingklang Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 12, 1999
    I haven't heard Heathen Chemistry yet, but I actually only like the first two Oasis releases. After that, I felt Noel has been desperately trying to recapture past glories. But that's interesting that you say Liam's songs are the best ones from the new album. Perhaps he'll be able to contribute more with future efforts (I heard he got his own publishing deal, so you never know).

3. Lieutenant_Page

Lieutenant_Page Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2001
    THe Radio staions I listen to did a world album premear of their new CD..and to be honest..I loved it. I think Noel still has his song writing talent after loosing it about 4 year ago. In fact, and he even said that he lost his interest in songwriting for those 4 years, then he found his interest again.

Favorite song so far: Songbird and THe Hindu Times

4. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001

Didn't you see what happened to your Radiohead thread? 8-}

~PAd

5. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    Definately Maybe was by far their best album. Morning Glory is a close second. After the success of these albums Oasis got arrogant, old and lazy and were too preoccupied with living the Rock and Roll lifestyle to write and perform good music. However, with the injection of musically talented people in to the band it seems they are begining to find lost ground! With this lost ground I hope come maturity and a return to the great Oasis sound I was listening to in the early - mid 90's.

6. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Wow, I thought Standing on the Shoulder of Giants was a vast improvement over Be Here Now.
    I really like Giants, but I do share in the opinion that their first two records were superior. I find myself listenting to Definitely Maybe more than any of the others.
    I have yet to hear any of the new stuff, but I am excited to get it. :)

7. Lieutenant_Page

Lieutenant_Page Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2001
    I also liked Standing on the Shoulders of Giants, but What's the Story was better. I think Chemistry I just as good as What's the Story...IMO.

8. Dagger

Dagger Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 1999
    I recently bought some older Oasis stuff (Morning Glory) and I like it a lot. I think "Don't Look Back in Anger" is one of their best songs.

That's the only Oasis album I have, though I really liked "D'You Know What I Mean?" (the video for that was awesome).

As for Standing on the Shoulders of Giants, I've only heard "Where Did It All Go Wrong," which is the brother who usually doesn't sing, and "Go Let It Out!" I thought both of them were quite different than the old Oasis feel, but they had a good sound to them anyway.

9. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    I hope Suede's new album will go down as well as Oasis's!

10. darth daedelus

darth daedelus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 14, 1999
    I paid £2 to see Oasis in a bar in Coventry in 1994 and they were awesome. I've just heard the new album and I've got mixed feelings about it. Hindu Times and Stop Crying Your Heart Out are a definite return to form but there are some real stinkers on the album. Force of Nature is simply awful - what were they thinking? Hung in a Bad Place is not much improvement. Oasis are slowly crawling there way back, but they need a producer in to say what's good and what isn't. Although Noel G is talking the album up at the moment, I suspect that in many ways it is an experimental album for them, with songs by most of the band. The album demonstrates their strengths and weaknesses more clearly than the last two and it shows conclusively that:

1. Noel shouldn't sing. He does try, really try, belting out Force of Nature etc. But he really kills a song. What's good about Oasis is that Noel writes good songs, and Liam's vocals turn them into great songs. Noel's voice, however, turns them into lumpen dirges. Case in point: Liam's acoustic-Lennon number Songbird transcends the obviously derivative music. Later, Noel tries to show his brother how acoustic-Lennon should be done, and makes a complete mess of it, because his voice adds nothing to it.

2. Noel has run out of ideas. The best track is Born on a Different Cloud, apparently written by Liam and finished by Noel. Maybe the future for them is in collaboration?

11. Obi-Kedobi

Obi-Kedobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 28, 2002
    darth daedelus, do you live in coventry?? i used to live their till i was 10, but now i've moved to the states. Quite a crap town really, but i miss some things about it.

12. darth daedelus

darth daedelus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 14, 1999
    Not anymore, I'm glad to say.

13. DarthNut

DarthNut Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 1, 1999
    I recently got Morning Glory and I loved it! I first heard it a couple years ago when my uncle was playing it in the car, and I got my interest back into them when my cousins were talking about what idiots the Gallagher Brothers are.
    Anyway, I don't know what I was missing. IT has quickly become one of my favorite albums!

:) DarthNut,
    the nuttiest guy around.

14. Radiohead

Radiohead Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2002
    Good job, DarthNut.

While Oasis' first album, Definitely Maybe, is more infectious, (What's the Story) Morning Glory? is more refined and melodic. It's a great album; "Wonderwall" is a personal favorite of mine and I think it's sorely overlooked when talking about great songs.

Other highlights from that album: "Don't Look Back in Anger," "Morning Glory," "Champagne Supernova."

15. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    The B side to Roll With It - "Rocking Chair" is my favourite Oasis track of all time! If you haven't heard it, go out and do it now!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.