main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ob-Wan or Old Ben????

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by darthevilwillowluv, Apr 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthevilwillowluv

darthevilwillowluv Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 13, 2003
  2. darthevilwillowluv

darthevilwillowluv Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 13, 2003
    Oops sorry..still not used to this board yet...Any way....

Luke has always known Ob-Wan as Old Ben or just Ben...

Is it possible as a small child he had heard Obi-Wan's name and errouneously thought who ever said it was saying "Old Ben"

Children have a way of mis-hearing words when they are young...and as Obi-Wan, was most likely fond of young Luke Skywalker found it an endearing nick name that he adopted as much for protection for himself but for Luke.

Obi-Wan Kenobi was most likely a legendary name...Old Ben was just a "crazy old man"

3. Attack_of_the_Ewoks

Attack_of_the_Ewoks Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 8, 2003
  4. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I'm thinking Obi-Wan began going by the name Ben for his own protection. He even tells Luke that "I haven't gone by the name Obi-Wan since, oh, before you were born."

5. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    Well that is creative. Obi-Wan/Old Ben, I guess. Points for creativity.

6. padme1967

padme1967 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 1, 2002
    Interesting. My own kids did this. My daughter called her teddy bear BoBo--trying to say bear and my son called his stuffed dog Bobby--trying to say puppy :)

Uncle Owen gets real irritated when Luke mentions Old Ben. I wonder if Obi-Wan used to visit when Luke was a kid and then later Owen told him to get lost fearing that Luke will get caught up in something dangerous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.