main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Ob wan's origins?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Jo Lucas, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    According to Wookiepedia, Obi wan was born in a planet called Stewjon (named after comedian Jon Stewart). But the movies don't give us much information about Obi wan's origins, and childhood. We are introduced to him in Episode I just as Qui Gon's padawan. I think the prequels should have given more details about his origin, because Obi is one of the main characters of the saga.

So, there are any novel, or comic or something else in EU explaining more Obi wan's family and life in "Stewjon" and how he was found and became a Jedi?

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Given that Jedi are adopted into the order very young (4 was considered extremely old in EU media covering this) - that might be why nobody went into detail on the pre-Youngling Obi-Wan.

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I always figured that he was abandoned as a baby and then Yoda found him.

4. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

Why would you assume he was abandoned? More likely he was simply identified as a Force-sensitive as an infant and willingly given up to the Jedi Order by his parents. From what we see and are told in canon sources, that seems to be the norm.

Jo Lucas, Alienware and ThisHurricane like this.
  5. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015

I don't see the point. The original films gave very little or hardly any background information on Han, Leia or Lando.

And I agree with The_Phantom_Calamari about how Obi-Wan ended up with the Jedi Order.

Pain and Suffering likes this.
  6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Obi-Wan seems to have an especially strong bond with Yoda, and I wanted something other than the norm.

7. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    I see their bond (if there is any) more as a result of them being the only two Jedi left (speaking just from the movies).

8. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Earlier EU sources say Obi-Wan was from Coruscant, which I still take over the silly 'Stewjon' nonsense. I think it was clear that Lucas was making a joke, but the people who take Lucas' word as gospel were a bit too literal with that.

9. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    I've heard he was from Aldeeran. That's way he felt the destruction of the planet.

10. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

Of course he was making a joke. No one, including Leland Chee, ever thought otherwise. Its canonization as Obi-Wan's actual homeworld was meant to troll people who take all this stuff way too seriously.

darklordoftech likes this.
  11. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    No canon backstory, but Jedi Apprentice books touch on this.

12. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015

That's how I see it.

13. Celidore

Celidore Jedi Knight star 3

May 2, 2015
    Well, if Obi-Wan's origins are unknown, think about Yoda's too...[face_dunno]

14. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Even in the old EU Obi-Wan and Yoda's origins seem to be kept intentionally sketchy. I hope the reboot keeps it that way. Unless they manage to pull off an awesome Obi-Wan origin film. Yoda/Yaddle species and homeworld however, should always be kept a mystery imo.

Jo Lucas likes this.
  15. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    I want an Obi-Wan movie.

16. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    If you want some young Obi Wan based EU read the Jedi Apprentice series. Not sure if it would even be somewhat considered canon, and it's definitely for young readers (it's scholastic, I believe) but it covers a lot of Obi Wan's training. There's also the comic book "Jedi." As for pre-Jedi, there aren't really any roots and there doesn't need to be. Imagine if we got a backstory for every main character. We don't need Obi Wan's, or Yoda's, or Qui Gon's. The saga is about Anakin/ The Skywalkers. That's all that's important.

Jo Lucas likes this.
  17. Jedi with a TARDIS

Jedi with a TARDIS Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 4, 2013
    I have this weird headcanon that he's from a royal family of some Core World where his mother is Queen. And I always picture her as Julie Andrews!

18. darthtimetraveller

darthtimetraveller Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2015
    It would be kinda cool to explore/find out about Obi-Wan's origins. Who knows, maybe they will address this in his spin-off films.