main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OB1's ANH Anakin or the Prequel Anakin?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by ValinFett21, Feb 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ValinFett21

ValinFett21 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 24, 2003
    IN some other topics, I see that many of us are pointing out OB1's description of Anakin Skywalker as a "cunning warrior", a "good friend" and the greatest pilot in the galaxy. It seems at times that the prequel anakin hasn't really fulfilled the notions that are given to us in the OT.

Greatest Pilot? He ended up flying into a space-hangar and squeezing a trigger, a well trained chimpanzee could have done that.
    Cunning Warrior? He gets wiped up by Dooku, and beats on some lowly Tuskens. Granted, we might see some cool moves in EpiIII, but so far, he hasn't been a real hero among the Jedi as far as I'm concerned, Mace seems more of a respected hero Jedi
    Good Friend? OB1 and Anakin fight all the time.

I just want to say that maybe we would like to see a hero that we held in high esteem fall to the dark side instead of a young, vulnerable kid slowly tempted and taken by the dark side.
    I'm only questioning the road taken by Lucas, not saying the movies are horrible or anything, please don't turn this into a prequel-bashing board.

2. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Best Starpilot? Don't judge that until you have seen Episode III.

A friend, they looked like friends in the elevator.

And Anakin is a cunning warrior.

Don't make judge until you have seen E3.

-Seldon

3. MyEternalRest

MyEternalRest Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 24, 2002
    Cunning Warrior? He gets wiped up by Dooku, and beats on some lowly Tuskens.

Perhaps you missed the Arena Scene.

Good Friend? OB1 and Anakin fight all the time.

You must have some great friendships if those few instances of friction mean they're not friends.

4. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    Anakin did very well as a warrior. He only loses at the end to Dooku, who's one of the GFFA's greatest Jedi masters.

5. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    Don't forget, the war has just started.

Plenty of time for Anakin to show us what a warrior he is. :)

6. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Bit of a harsh appraisal of Anakin so far, you could easily make Luke look like an easily-guided chump for arguments sake as well. I know you're not bashing here, you're making good points, I just don't agree with the views.

7. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    What should Obi have told Luke then?

"Well I knew your father but we didn't get along very well. He kind of had this superiority complex and was always talking back to me. That and he was a just mediocre pilot with a fair bit of luck. Well I don't exactly believe in luck but we don't need to delve into that just now. As for his fighting skills, he got his ass handed to him on many occasions and kept loosing his lightsaber. But he excelled at taking out primitive barbarian lifeforms. So what to you think of your father now eh?"

8. DarthYourMom

DarthYourMom Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 26, 2002
    LOL @ Lando.

I think we'll see the character development in EIII to more than justify those statements in ANH by OB1.

9. Darth_Fless

Darth_Fless Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 9, 2003
    Exactly.
    Events/developments in EP3 should support Ben's ANH comments.

10. AlecGuinnessBeer

AlecGuinnessBeer Jedi Youngling

Feb 17, 2004
    Just so you're not alone ValinFett, I'll agree with you. We did not see ANH Anakin in AOTC. I have hope that we will in Ep 3, but if I had to lay money down I'd bet that we won't. Especially the good friend part.

11. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    Agreed.

I think that Obi-wan only said those things about Anakin just to motivate Luke into being a Jedi and to shield him from the awful truth about Anakin--that he's an intergalactic mass killer known as Darth Vader.

12. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    Cunning Warrior? He gets wiped up by Dooku, and beats on some lowly Tuskens. Granted, we might see some cool moves in EpiIII, but so far, he hasn't been a real hero among the Jedi as far as I'm concerned, Mace seems more of a respected hero Jedi.

Hey, you forgot to add that Anakin and Obi-Wan don't even manage to catch Zam Wessel. ;)

I agree with you completely, but I'll wait until after Episode III to judge whether or not Anakin was a cunning warrior.

-Aunecah

13. SkyWard

SkyWard Jedi Master star 1

Mar 10, 2002
    Even if we never consider Anakin to fit those descriptions isn't it important to remember that Obi-Wan does?

We are watching the parts of Anakin's life that only show the chain of events leading to his downfall. Obi-Wan's known him alot longer than what we've seen and has had much time to become his friend and see him in heroic action. ("Saved from a nest of Gundarks", anyone?) If Obi-Wan describes him as a friend, great pilot, and a hero-type I believe that Obi-Wan sees him that way, even if I wouldn't.

14. Depa Billaba

Depa Billaba Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 21, 1998
    If Obi-Wan describes him as a friend, great pilot, and a hero-type I believe that Obi-Wan sees him that way, even if I wouldn't.

What if Obi-Wan said that Jar Jar was a great pilot, a cunning warrior, and a good friend*? Would you believe that too?

*I personally don't have any problem believing this last part.

Depa Billaba

15. The_SkyWolves

The_SkyWolves Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 25, 2004
    That Jar-Jar comment was irrelevant.

The "Just the Facts" thing has mentioned that NOTHING in ANH will be contradicted, that Anakin WILL show his piloting skills, and that Anakin and Obi-Wan will have gotten CLOSER by the start of the film- and remain good friends through most of it, until right by THE DUEL.

16. PMT99

Nov 23, 2000
    It also said "from a certain point of view".

17. PMT99

Nov 23, 2000
    Double post.

18. Naberrie_SkyWalker

Naberrie_SkyWalker Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 30, 2002
    I think all of Obi's ANH speech to Luke will stem from what we see in the begining of EPI III. The end of EPI III will be where the "more machine than man,twisited and evil" part will come in. From everything we are hearign and seeign of II it will tie the PT and OT together nicely, IMO.

19. mixza

mixza Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2004
    I agree with Darth-Seldon; don't judge until Episode 3.

20. The_SkyWolves

The_SkyWolves Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 25, 2004
    Exactamundo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.