main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Obi-Dawn's art stuff (updated 6/27)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Obi-Dawn Kenobi, Oct 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Hi everyone. :)
    I thought I should start sharing some of my Star Wars fan art with you since I enjoy seeing everyone else's stuff so much.

I used to be quite prolific with drawings and paintings back when I was in college, but over the years I've done less and less. I'm trying to do more now because it feels like I'm losing my abilites without the practice. *sigh*

Anyway, I've been doing quick sketches of some Before the Helmet pictures that are of Padmé and other SW females for a friend's website that concentrates on the costumes. Here are two of those plus one I did of Padmé from webdoc 7. Nothing too exciting. :p

*These are ROTS costumes, but there's nothing about the plot in these drawings. Still, if you are totally unspoiled don't peek.*

Sketches

Thanks for looking. :)

2. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    Those are pretty well done Obi-Dawn. :)

3. Sword-of-the-Jedi

Sword-of-the-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 6, 2002
    Woah! Great job! The detail is amazing, especially in the second pic. :D

4. Count-Raven

Count-Raven Jedi Youngling

Oct 21, 2004
    I agree completely. Very, very well done. Your work is very impressive. Do please continue to post your work up.

-|-Count-|-

5. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    Nice work! I especialy like the first one. ;)

6. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the feedback and encouragement to post more. :)

7. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    Awesome sketches! Very glad you decided to show us them.

8. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    Do you have any more??

9. DarthZemog

DarthZemog Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Wow Obi-Dawn, those ae really spectacular! I love all the color and detail! You really nailed the likenesses of Keisha Castle-Hughes and Natalie Portman too! Very cool, and I hope you'll share some more of your artwork with us sometime soon!

Gotto go draw, DZ! ;)

10. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Thanks! I really appreciate the comments. It's encouraging. :)

I do have some more stuff I can post but none of it has been put into the computer yet. [face_blush] I'll try to get it up as soon as I can.

11. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    I must agree with everyone one else, Obi-Dawn, very nice job on the sketches and such. I would enjoy seeing more of your work, as it is very good.

Again, I say great job, and keep up the great work. :)

~Vassago

12. THEFORCE16

THEFORCE16 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 15, 2004
    Outstanding. Others have already mentioned your exquisite attention to detail, but since I never let a little thing like redundancy stop me: Your attention to detail is, well, exquisite. Better post more stuff soon. Everyone seems to be interested in what your doing. Me also. too. yep.

13. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Thanks!
    It's all in the details. ;)

I haven't been drawing a whole lot lately since my recent passion has been costuming. But here's a piece I did of Amidala about four years ago:(Mind you, I don't have a scanner right now, so I'm having to take digital pics of my sketches. Alas, they don't always turn out too clear.)

TPM Amidala

My love of Padmé's costumes led me to create a mural on my sewing room wall dedicated to the concept sketches of her various looks. The ones I used were done by either Ian McCaig or Dermot Power for her designs in TPM and AOTC.
    I enlarged my favorites, transfered them onto my wall and then painted the outlines with charcoal gray acrylic paint. I'm currently deciding whether or not to color them in. If I do, I think I would just use a pale wash of color on them.

I'm very unhappy with the largest figure in the center and will most likely do her over entirely. Overall, I prefer the grouping on the left side which includes her costume that I love most: the picnic dress. ;)

Here's some pics. Hope you like. :)

Wall Mural

edit: fixed link

14. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    Wow nice work! My sister had the idea to have her walls blank so she could draw on them but it just turned into a big doodle board. :p

15. THEFORCE16

Nov 15, 2004
    My mouth is hanging open. You are powerful, as the Emperor has fors..I mean um..those are amazing. Well done. I know that one of your idols, Ian McCaig, uses design markers alot. Ever try em?

16. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I'm gonna be another to compliment you on your details. They're outstanding. Nice work.

Also, with the mural - very interesting idea. Be sure to keep us updated on its progress. :)

17. DarthZemog

DarthZemog Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Wow! Obi-Dawn, the mural looks great! What a cool idea! You really have a great eye for the little details that bring drawings to life. Very cool, keep posting your work, it's very good! :)

Later, DZ

18. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    Oh wow, what fantastic work you do, Obi-Dawn!

I am extremely impressed by this...by all of it. The detail and just how dead on it all looks is so perfect. Great work, Dawn. Keep it up, and please keep us up to date. :)

~Vassago

19. DARKSIDE5

DARKSIDE5 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 22, 2004
    =D=

(when i said i was not fowllowing u i may have changed my mind) :p

20. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    LOL @ Darkside. :)

Thanks for the comments everyone. The mural was great fun and pretty easy considering all I was doing was copying McCaig and Power's drawings onto my wall. ;) But I love to work on walls. It's exciting because it's something you aren't usually allowed to do as a kid. Now I can draw all over my walls and there's no one to tell me I can't! :D

FORCE16, wow, you remember that I love Ian McCaig's work! Cool. :) I have some experience with design markers, but not a whole lot. My favorite markers have traditionally been the Tombo water soluble ones. Though, lately I haven't felt confident enough to sketch with anything other than pencils or pastels. I need to practice.

21. DARKSIDE5

Feb 22, 2004
    "Though, lately I haven't felt confident enough to sketch with anything other than pencils or pastels. I need to practice"

then practice i want to see a pic in clor i haven't seen yet.

22. THEFORCE16

Nov 15, 2004
    I wish I was brave enough to commit a work of art to my wall. My own work starts to hurt my head if I look at it too long. I just did a rain forest mural for some people recently. They had a big blank wall behind thier water slide (rich people obviously) so I did this elaborate cheesy thing with jungle and lizards and a big scarlet macaw. They loved it. I took the money and ran. I can never look at it again. I hate doing stuff I dont want to do for money. Waaa! Anyway, Dawn, the fact that you copied other peoples work doesnt diminish the accomplishment. If you can do that, there's nothing stopping you from expanding into your own subject matter. The skill is definitely there. I await your next unveiling with great anticipation. Or maybe its impatience. ADD is a hard thing to live with.

23. DARKSIDE5

Feb 22, 2004
    Force16 no offence but that is kinda wierd for your work to make your head hurt.

24. Corrin_Wyndryder

Corrin_Wyndryder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 2001
    Shouldn't be that odd.

Staring at a computer screen too long gives me a headache.

25. DARKSIDE5

Feb 22, 2004
    well yea...but y would u stare at your work THAT long it takes me Hours for my head to hurt by staring at a computer.....(I am experienced)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.