main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Obi-Dawn's art stuff (updated 6/27)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Obi-Dawn Kenobi, Oct 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Darkside5, I think I know what TheForce16 means when he says his work starts to hurt his head if he looks at it too long. Basically, the same thing happens to me, but not in a literal sense of pain in my head. ;)

It's more like emotional pain. For instance, I just recently finished a pastel portrait of my friend's son. I worked on it for so long that I could no longer be objective about whether or not it was any good. I was too 'close' to it, if you will. So, in a sense, looking at it hurt my head (metaphorically) because I couldn't tell if what I had done was good or terrible anymore....did any of that make sense? :p

I don't know, but for me, I lose my objectivity when I work on something for too long. I'm too attuned to all the little things about it that I think are wrong and then that becomes all that I can see. Hence, painful to look at. ;)

TheForce16, your tropical mural project sounds really fun! Congrats on getting commissions to do that sort of work. I think it's wonderful! But, I know what you mean about finishing something and then never wanting to see it again. I feel that way about my aforementioned portrait. I sent it off to my friend purposefully without taking a picture of it. LOL!

I think my biggest reason for wanting to color in my mural is really just to have the excuse for painting on my wall again. I love doing it!

2. THEFORCE16

THEFORCE16 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 15, 2004
    It takes an artist to know one, Obi-Dawn. You totally nailed what I was trying to say. Me not tok good. Much.

3. DARKSIDE5

DARKSIDE5 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 22, 2004
    "Me not tok good. Much."

Well there it is ovious that u do not talk well...(jk)

OBI-DAWN paste up some more of your work if u have any i want to see some.....

(plez i have nothing to do but school and i DO NOT want to do that)

4. DARKSIDE5

Feb 22, 2004
    HAPPY THANKS GIVING TO ALL......someone put up a tukey picture

5. Corrin_Wyndryder

Corrin_Wyndryder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 2001
    [image=http://j-walkblog.com/blog/images1/turkey.jpg]

It's amazing what Google can find! :D

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Somehow I don't think that's what DARKSIDE5 had in mind... :)

7. DARKSIDE5

Feb 22, 2004
    ......The turkey is different thats for sure.......is it etable
    Thanks...for the pic of a turkey if u do not mind i will use that on all my friends today.....heheh..BWAHAHAHAHAHAH

8. Corrin_Wyndryder

Corrin_Wyndryder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 2001
    I do not mind at all. It was googled, so I have no say whatsoever. :D

9. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    LOL at the turkey pic. :)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! [face_chicken]

10. jacemathem

jacemathem Jedi Master star 5

Oct 3, 2003
    It gives turkey dressing a whole new meaning. [face_mischief]

11. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Here's another Queen Amidala sketch I did a few years back. :)
    (The pics of it are a tad blurry. Sorry.)

TPM Celebration Amidala

12. THEFORCE16

Nov 15, 2004
    That's just lovely, Obi-Dawn. Your drawing skills are exquisite. Uh-oh, I used the words lovely and exquisite in one post! I AM NOT A MAN!! I have to go now and watch NASCAR or rewire something.

13. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Hahaha! Thanks, and I won't tell anyone about your exquisite choice of adjectives. :p

14. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Nice job, Obi-Dawn. I really like the detail in the dress and the way you colored it. Also, you did an excellent job getting her likeness. Keep up the great work! :D

15. THEFORCE16

Nov 15, 2004
    The likeness is just superb.

16. DARKSIDE5

Feb 22, 2004
  17. DarthZemog

DarthZemog Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Wow, that's great Obi-Dawn! Your knack for getting Natalie Portman's likeness down is awesome! Color me envious! :D

More, more!

18. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
  19. DkSavior02

DkSavior02 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2004
    Curses, I am so jealous.. As Zemog stated, your ability to capture her likeness is uncanny. Your drawings always remind me of fashion templates that artists sketch up when they're designing new clothes or the like, and I think it's appropriate considering what unique and... flamboyant costumes she often wears. Having said that, the details are so crisp I bet anyone COULD design clothes off of your drawings, great work again..

20. Rocie

Rocie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2003
    Your art is just beautiful, Obi-Dawn Kenobi. Much better than my foundling efforts.

21. Jediloren

Jediloren Jedi Youngling star 2

May 30, 2002
    Great pictures of Amidala. Thanks for drawing Queen Scathiia for my wife she loves it. It is very well done.

22. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    DKSavior02, thank you so much. You just gave me one of the biggest compliments I could have gotten. Fashion illustration has always been a particular favorite of mine and I do strive to incorporate elements of it in my drawings. I'm glad you noticed. :)

Rocie, thanks for the nice words. I appreciate it. And, btw, your work gets better and better. Keep at it! ;)

Jediloren, thank you for taking a look at my stuff. I really did enjoy drawing your wife's character. I'm still trying to find time to sit down and read the rest of her story that she's posted. She has a great knack for describing the imagery. :)

I sat down on Saturday wanting to draw a costume study of Padmé...so I chose my favorite one: her picnic dress. Anyone who knows me from the costume forum knows that I've been obsessed with this costume for years now, having made three versions of it. :p So it was a joy to draw and I hope you guys like it. I tried to capture as many of the little details as possible working on a 11"x14" piece of Bristol with prismacolor pencils and a little acrylic paint. I freehanded it all using a smaller picture as reference. I'm not completely thrilled with her face, but I think the costume turned out nice. :)

Picnic Padmé

edit: fixed link

23. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Beautiful! The dress has that same diaphanous quality that it did in the film--the details are gorgeous! And I totally think it looks like Padme--a very good likeness! I'm really beginning to love the look of the Prismacolors--very rich and deep. Did you do this from a photograph, or with reference photos? It's beautiful! :)

FF

24. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Thanks FF! :) diaphnous...what a perfect word to describe this costume. [face_love]

I was looking at this picture while I drew it. It was a self-appointed exercise in trying to learn how to draw again. I've been so out of practice these last couple of years. argh!

25. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    The details you put into the dress are amazing. I haven't really took notice of the details before, but you can really see them nicely in your rendering. Also, the overall drawing is very crisp and clean. You did a nice job with the Prismacolors.

And don't worry about the likeness, I think it looks great! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.