1. Welcome back everyone! Wondering why everything looks different? Please visit HERE for more information!

Art Archive Obi-Dawn's art stuff (updated 6/27)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Obi-Dawn Kenobi, Oct 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
  1. Marmida Force Ghost

star 3
    :eek: Very good drawings Obi-Dawn. I loved that ep 3 Padmé. And your costume site looks good too!
  2. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Thanks Marmida. :)

I recently found time to pick up my pencils, so I thought I'd post a pic of my latest attempt. It's in progress so any critiques or advice on how to blend Prismacolor pencils smoothly would be much appreciated. There also seems to be something off with her nose or her eyes...thoughts?

In progress ROTS Padmé
  3. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    Hi, Obi-Dawn!! Welcome Home...erm--Welcome back to Fan Art!! We've missed you while you were slaving away with "yards and yards of silk!" ;) And I'm so glad you're posting here again!

I think you're doing beautifully with the blending in this current Padme: the tones on her face and hair seem very natural, and well-chosen for contrast (which is where I'm having trouble...), with good shading and a sense of volume. I think I see what you're talking about with the likeness--but I don't see any problem with her eyes--her eyes look wonderful to me, just like Padme. I don't have the reference pic to compare to, but is her nose a bit narrow...? I'm not really sure there--but I immediately recognized her as Padme, so your likeness is good overall! It just looks wonderful so far, with the draping of her robes and the expression on her face--it really reminds me, in tone and quality, of an old Renoir: of a lovely maiden, illuminated with the warm tones of a waning day...very romantic! And now we can cry on each other's shoulders about the Prismacolors--WAAAHHH! LOL, j/k! This is wonderful so far, and I can't wait to see it done! Welcome back! :D

FF
  4. wicktone Jedi Knight

star 3
    I agree; there's absolutely nothing wrong with your blending right now. It's lovely, especially on the forehead and towards the right side of her face. The iris in both of her eyes is also coloured beautifully and accurately.

Honestly, I think this is one of the most gorgeous renderings I've seen posted to this forum in a long time.

Concerning her eyes and nose: her eyes appear to be the correct distance apart, which is really the most important thing. What I notice is that her face appears to be angling slightly away from the 'camera', towards the right (her left). The slope of her neck and the position of her right eye seems to suggest this. The lips and nose might seem to be a tiny bit 'off', because they appear to be situated slightly towards the left (her right)... by moving them over to the right just slightly they'll fall back in alignment with the rest of the face.

If you just eyeball the difference between the eye and the edge of the nose on the left side of her face, opposed the right, you can see that the nose is a little too far left.

Personally, I think this is nitpicky... you've got the spirit of Padmé captured perfectly. People aren't going to notice tiny flaws like that unless you point them out (I wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't mentioned you thought something was a little off about the nose or eyes).
  5. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    FF & wicktone, thank you both for your comments and far too kind compliments. [face_blush] Getting feedback/advice from the two of you is really very helpful to me.

I see what you are both talking about with her lips and nose, and after studying my reference picture a bit more, I may have shortened her nose too much as well. I'll do my best to try correcting some of it, but I may have gone a bit too far with the Prismacolors to do any real erasing. ack!

I think I'm a little trepidatious about how to continue with her skin tones. Do I darken everything overall or just the parts in shadow? And when it comes to the shadows I always have a hard time figuring out what colors I should use. My mom, who is very artistic, always tells me to use the colors that I 'see'...but shadows on skin always give me pause. Are they shades of brown or shades of grey? I see both on my reference picture, so I guess I should use both, but the grey seems like it may be too harsh for this piece. I just don't want to ruin it. :oops:

6. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    As to the question about colors for deepening the shadows...I feel your pain! lol! I went through the same angsty choice when struggling with the Count's portrait! I guess my suggestion would be to start off with the warmer colors (as those will be most complimentary to the current tone of the drawing as it is now), and then carefully choose some of the grays, if you still want to use them. I found that doing a whole series of little "scribbles" on the paper I was using, with the colors I was considering using, gave me a bit more guidance that way--allowing me to see each color on the page, and compare it to the others, then make a choice from there (of course, I had to "crop off" all those scribbles when I finally scanned the drawing! ;) ). I don't know if that'll be of any help, but putting the color down on paper before actually using it on the drawing did help me. Just a suggestion. As to changing the features--I personally don't think it's necessary at this point. It's Padme--the likeness is there (and I ended up with the same problem--that of "color permanence!" Prismacolors are hard!!). This is just going to be sooo beautiful when it's done! I can't wait! :D

FF
  7. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Obi-Dawn, there's not much to add that hasn't already been mentioned. This is a beautiful rendering so far. The colors are blended quite nicely and the likeness is very close. The only problem I see with the likeness is with the lips. There may be a little too much space between the nose and the lips and the lips may be a tad bit too big. Other than that, this drawing is really beautiful! It's so good to see you back to drawing! :D

but shadows on skin always give me pause. Are they shades of brown or shades of grey? I see both on my reference picture, so I guess I should use both, but the grey seems like it may be too harsh for this piece. I just don't want to ruin it.

Ah, yes...shadows can be a bit tricky. What I have been told when adding shadows is that the shadow is always a darker shade of the original color. Like in the face, for instance, I would use a darker peach/orange color, light tan and even brown and sometimes black(I use this sparingly when doing color) for the heavier shadows. Another good alternative to doing shadows on the face is using a navy blue for the heavier shadows. It turns the original skin color a darker shade and works great for shadows. :)

8. wicktone Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yes, with shadows on skin, you'll usually see a lot of blue and purple, especially around the neck and the base of the spine. I find skintone in general pretty tough... my only suggestion would be to look at scrap material.
  9. Corellian_Rogue Jedi Knight

star 3
    Lovely work! I can't wait until your Padme WIP is finished! I envy people who can get likenesses so well. People always say to me "draw me draw me" but then I have to explain that I can draw A person but I can't draw THAT person! LOL :D If I only had the portrait skills of the talented artists around here.

Oh and for the skin dark tones I'd definitely suggest a shade of purple/grey. That way it would also tie in that colour with the purple/blue on the dress. :) Just a suggestion though, I'm no expert with pencils.

*eagerly awaiting more artwork* :)
  10. Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Knight

star 2
    Oh, She's so lovely! You've really captured Padme's facial features, as it's so apparent that it's her. Primarily her eyes are which really stand out to me because you've managed to draw them dead-on. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Well it seems that colored skin tones in general are unanimously difficult to achieve. The only bit of advice I can think to give that hasn't already been mentioned (if it has, then sorry for being repetitive) is to just scan over photos for reference material or even look at yourself in the mirror - preferably with sunlight accessible or just normal outdoor light. Or if this particular image does have a background, you might be able to discern what colors to use that way. If not that, you may simply want to go and try a brave method and use whichever color you want to convey the mood (warm colors for a 'Happier' feel - that kind of thing). Sorry I couldn't be of more help as I too am a novice when it comes to this area.

- Suz ^_~
  11. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    FF, I'm glad someone else feels my angst. ;) I do usually try out the colors before using them but the whole 'shadow color' thing still gives me problems. Thanks for your advice, it's always helpful. :)

HS29, thanks for your critique and info about shadows! I appreciate it and tried out some of your tips. ;) And I totally agree with you about there being too much space between her nose and lips. You know, I don't think I've ever tried navy blue to help darken shadows....

wicktone, yes...skin tones have always challenged me. And since I like a good challenge, I've decided to buckle down and really start working on trying to figure them out. Hopefully I won't frustrate myself into giving up. LOL!
    I love the suggestion of using blues and purples for some of the shadows. Thanks!

Corellian_Rogue, thank you for checking my drawing out. (I just love your Yuuzhan Vong pieces!) As for doing portraits...practice practice practice. And even then they only seem to come out right part of the time. I think I went through about three attempts at this particular portrait before I liked one enough to start coloring it in. And it still has likeness problems. :oops:
    And thanks for the suggestions regarding shadows. Makes sense now that you all mention the purple/blue.

Your_Worshipfulness, (great name, btw!) thank you for your nice comments and advice. I appreciate it and it's always helpful to learn how other artists do things. I'm glad you like her eyes. I think they turned out pretty ok. :)
    I've worked on it some more and employed everyone's advice about the shadows. I clearly still need a lot of practice and might do this piece all over again to see if I can improve upon it. I think I liked it better when it was in progress. *sigh*
    But I did try darkening the shadows on her skin first with a dark umber and then a dark purple. I also used the dark purple on her robes and in the shadows of her hair. I'm not especially thrilled with her hair, so that's another reason to try again. I like the way her purple sash turned out though. :p

Critiques, advice...are all welcome! I can take them with me when I re-do this. :D

Well.../>
  12. Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Knight

star 2
    It's so elegant! That's an extraordinary coloring job. I can see why you like how the Sash turned out - the shine makes it look real. I've never worked with prismacolors before, but I don't think I could get an outcome like that. I don't know why you seem unhappy with it, but you're the artist, and if you truly feel the need to redo it, then that's entirely you're choice. I still think it looks excellent though. I think it's the most beautiful image of Padme I've seen here. :)

Just something I was thinking about was perhaps adding a little more perspective by applying a darker shade on her neck, just below the chin so that it stands out even more from the rest of her body. I can see a line to distinguish the face from her neck, but a head kind of juts out further away from the body, casting a bit of a small shadow there.

Again, absolutely lovely :)

- oh, and I almost forgot! You may want to fix up the link a bit because you have "http://" written twice, so when the image pops up in a new window, you have to delete one them to make it work.

- Suz ^_~
  13. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh, Obi-Dawn, this turned out beautifully!! It really looks like an old oil painting from the 16th century or something--rich, subtle...beautiful! I think the shadows look wonderful, on both her skin and her clothing, and I can't get over her hair! You've managed to perfectly convey all that thick, curly hair, complete with highlights and shadows... Her eyes keep drawing me back--and I wonder what she's looking at, so wistfully... I don't think this needs anything more (or to be redone, honestly)--and I can't believe your first attempt with the Prismacolors turned out soooo well (flash of jealousy... :p )! Just beautiful (can't stop looking at it...)!

FF
  14. Corellian_Rogue Jedi Knight

star 3
    Oh wow! This is beautiful! Just when you think something can't get better! :D The details on the hair are amazing and the lighting is so great. Well done Obi-Dawn!
  15. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    I have to run out for a bit, but when I get back I'll respond to all you nice people. Thanks! (I fixed the URL too.) :D
  16. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Your_Worshipfulness, thanks so much. You're very sweet. :) I see what you mean about the shadow under her chin. I'll have a go at darkening it up a bit. Thanks!
    I did use a small bit of white chalk on the sash to give it some highlights and I think that helped with the shine. And thanks for the info about my link. I didn't realize the error. [face_blush]

FalconFan, thankies. :) I have used Prismacolors before, but I still feel like I don't have the blending of them down. So I definitely feel like a newbie. [face_mischief]
    Thanks for the nice comments about her hair. I found it to be the most tedious part and I don't think it's really 'right' along the far edge on the left side. meh....
    I feel like re-doing this one. I think I can do the skin and hair better, so I guess I'm on a mission. LOL!

Corellian_Rouge, thank you so much for your kind words. I'm glad you like it. :D
  17. wicktone Jedi Knight

star 3
    Ah, the clothing turned out beautifully! I agree, I think the purple sash probably stands out the most. It really looks like a more silky velvet and definitely seems to have a different texture than the surrounding fabric. The dress part is also quite lovely with the different browns and greens in there.

This seems like it must have been an intimidating piece to start, so kudos for being brave enough to take it on! I'm sure you must be really proud of how it turned out.
  18. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Thanks wicktone. :)

I went ahead and did that same drawing over so I could practice on her skin/shadows with my Prismacolors. It turned out ok, I think. At least I feel like I want to start working on a different picture now. [face_laugh]

2nd version
  19. soitscometothis Force Ghost

star 5
    That's a great picture. The likeness is very good, the eyes I particularly like, and you've done great work with her hair. I'm really impressed with the subtleties of skin-tone you have achieved using coloured pencils, looks like a lot of hard work!
  20. Darth_ArsnL Jedi Master

star 2
    My GOD! That is a beautiful likeness, and I love the emotion in her face, content but slightly worried. So perfect. Very Very good job! Please tell me you'll be doing more!

-Arsnl
  21. wicktone Jedi Knight

star 3
    Did you start this over from scratch? That's dedication! :D

The position of the features in this one is much more accurate and there's so much more depth and luminousity to her skintone. A huge improvement (and I loved the first one!).

Also, her location on the page here is a lot better. There's very little white space around her, so she doesn't seem quite as 'floating-torso'-ish.

Beautiful stuff, Obi_Dawn! You must be really happy with it.
  22. Corellian_Rogue Jedi Knight

star 3
    Again simply wonderful...I would have been happy with the first one but you've really excelled in your improvements to produce this one. Well done! :) Am I mistaken or are the tones more subtle in this one, in the hood and her face? It really suits her mood of concern and doubt I believe. You truly do beautiful work Obi-Dawn. :)
  23. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    soitscometothins, thank you. I'm glad you noticed the subtleties in her skin tones. I worked hard to get them blended right and it did take me quite a while, but I found that I was getting braver with the shadows this time around. When I see the work you do, I marvel at how well you are able to distinguish between the lights and the darks on faces. I hope I can figure out how to handle shadows as well as you. ;)

Darth_ArsnL, aww thanks! You're very kind. I'll do more, I'm currently trying to decide on what to try next. :)

Hey wicktone. :) Yeah, I started over from scratch. A bit obsessive of me, but I was on a mission. LOL! 'floating-torso-ish' Haha! That's a great description for the last one!
    Thanks for commenting on my stuff. I always appreciate anything you have to add.

Corellian_Rogue, how's it going? Thanks for taking a look at my re-do. I think I was able to better blend the tones in her face this time, so maybe that's why it looks more subtle. I tried not to look at the first one as I worked on this one so I wouldn't just make a carbon copy. I guess it worked. :) Thanks again.
  24. Great_One Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hi, Obi Dawn! I justed wanted to say that your work is amazing! I've seen some of it before on Padawan's Guide so when I saw the name I was curious to know if you were the same person. Your drawings are fantastic. You capture Natalie's likeness so well and your costuming is amazing! I like the dress you did for your niece, it was adorable!
  25. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    :eek:
    Whoa!! Your "redux" is fabulous, Obi-Dawn!! I can't believe you started over from scratch to do this all over again--wow. Impressive...most impressive...

I'll agree with everyone else who's mentioned the wonderful blending of the skin tones--it almost looks like oil paints or watercolors, with the smoothness of it! And her eyes--geez!! They're just arresting in their beauty and intensity. The likeness is almost perfect, too--with her eyes, and her beautiful mouth. Just lovely (and it still looks like an old Renaissance portrait of a maiden, I think!)!! A wonderful job--you have to be pleased with this one!

FF
Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.