1. Welcome back everyone! Wondering why everything looks different? Please visit HERE for more information!
  2. Welcome Guest.

New feature: The Art of Disney…Now discussing:

Art Archive Obi-Dawn's art stuff (updated 6/27)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Obi-Dawn Kenobi, Oct 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
  1. Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Knight

star 2
    You know I adored your first crack at it, but your remake is truly a marvel. The blending on her skin is exceptional, you should be very, very proud. And I also find the piece to be more sharper overall than your previous attempt. You can really see how much you've improved. Perhaps 'colored pencil skills' is a latent ability that you've always possessed? For you seem to have picked up on them quite well. Keep up with the wonderful work. :)

----
    "I see what you mean about the shadow under her chin. I'll have a go at darkening it up a bit. Thanks!"

"And thanks for the info about my link. I didn't realize the error."

Always glad to be of any help when I possibly can. ^_^

- Suz ^_~
  2. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Hi Great_One, it's nice to see another fan of Maggie's site. :) Thanks for your comments, I really appreciate them. I can't believe you remember those little costumes I made for my niece! [face_laugh] She's long outgrown them and I think the picnic one got pretty stained up. But she had fun in them and that's what mattered. :)

Thanks! I absolutley love Renaissance artwork, so that's really quite a nice thing to hear. :)
    Haha! Yes, starting over from scratch was the only way I knew how to tackle it again. I'll admit that once I finished with the skin on the new one I was really tempted to quit. But I slogged through the hair and clothes anyway. Wheeeee!

Hey Suz, thank you. I tried to make the shadow under her chin darker than those on her face this time. You're right, it looks better. :)
    You know, this piece could look sharper just because of the picture quality. I don't have a scanner so I'm photographing my pieces with a digital camera. Sometimes I'm able to get better focused close-ups than others (still figuring this camera out). But I always try to photograph things the same way in the same light, but I think slight differences may account for why this particular piece looks sharper. Who knows....LOL!
  3. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Hello :)

I've been away from the forum for quite awhile because I had a baby in March (a boy) and my time has been all his. I miss drawing!

FalconFan suggested I re-open my old thread and post pictures of a project I have found a few hours of time to work on after the baby goes to sleep at night. So here I am! :)

I've been continually disappointed with the lack of Padmé action figures that Hasbro has made, especially for ROTS. So I decided to try my hand at sculpting. The only other things I've ever sculpted before were some flat pieces of jewelry for assorted Padmé costuming projects, so this was my first attempt at sculpting something three dimensional.

I borrowed a Hasbro action figure head of Padmé but I had to cut away her hair and resculpt it myself. Everything else from the neck down is sculpted clay which I glazed and painted after curing it.

Hope you like her! :)

My ROTS Padmé clay figure

I have a drawing to post in a bit as well, just gotta find it. [face_blush]
  4. academygrad88 Force Ghost

star 5
    Wow, that is impressive. I really like the detail on the robes. Great job!!

AG88
  5. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    Obi-Dawn's back!! Obi-Dawn's back!!

[face_dancing][face_dancing]

Welcome back, Obi-Dawn, and heartiest congratulations on your baby! :D We all understand about the time commitment involved with the "littlest Jedi," and totally understand! Still--it's just so great to see a post from you here!

And what a fantastic job you've done with Padme!!! I can't get over the accuracy of this--the features, the hair, and the beautiful clothing! Sculpting--something I've never done, but I can only imagine how difficult it must be, getting such minute details correct (**imagines an array of dental tools laid out to assist**). It's just beautiful, and would immediately fetch ridiculous prices, I'm sure, if you ever chose to auction her off...but I also know you fashioned this figure just for yourself (good for you! :D ) and plan to keep her! Still--what an amazing piece! If you ever tire of costuming and "flat art" you could most definitely make some good money by making customized collector figures. Great, great job--and it's just so wonderful to see you in the forum again! :D :D

FF
  6. semicooke Legacy Concept Artist

VIP
    star 1
    Great job on the padme figure! What kind of material did you use? Standard clay, Sculpey ...

Looking forward to more :)
  7. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Thanks AG88! :)

Thank you Madine. I used regular Sculpey when I resculpted her hair and the extra firm grey Sculpey for her entire body. The extra firm Sculpey is great because you can start with a block of it and just carve away (that's what I did). Instead of baking it I prefer submerging it in boiling water. It's much faster! I think her hair took about 30 seconds to cure and her body about a minute and a half. :)

FalconFan, thanks sweetie! Your encouragement is always so wonderful. I'm glad to be back in the forum again. :D
    Oh, and just to be clear - I did not sculpt her face. That's a Hasbro ROTS Padmé face with the hair cut off and redone. ;)

Here's a drawing I did last year of a friend of mine. She is a SW costumer, like me, and I did this portrait of her in one her costumes. She's dressed in Padmé's dark high necked dress from ROTS. Critique welcome! (Although I don't own the original anymore. I gave it to my friend.)

The first two are in progress shots and if you scroll down you will see the finished piece.
    http://www.geocities.com/floofywankenobi/costumeportrait.html?1155761051843

Thanks for looking,
    -d

8. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    Ohhhhh....this beautiful, beautiful portrait! =D==D=

You already know how much I love this (I've gushed over it before! :p )--I just have to comment again, though, as it's been a while since I've seen it. First--the composition: just wonderful, IMHO--each image is a different view of her and the dress, and all three lead the eye around to the stunning close-up in the foreground. Next--just the awesome beauty of that close-up--I can't stop staring at those amazing eyes... It really seems like I'm sitting right there, looking at the actual person. Gorgeous skintones and highlights--the 3-D effect of her entire face is fabulous! And next--the costuming--wow...how long did the faceted beading take you...? Ages, I'll bet... Right along with the brocade-like texturing of the dress fabric...ages again, right? All, just beautiful Obi-Dawn!! An amazing portrait, and I'm sure your friend was just ecstatic to get this, too! Fantastic! =D==D=

FF
  9. Giolon05 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hi Obi-Dawn (lol love the name). I didn't get a chance to look through your entire thread yet, but the sculpting of Padme's dress is very impressive. The folds are superbly done!

The portrait is great as well. I bet your friend loved it!
  10. rhi-sparks Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Oh my, the sculpting on that Padme is superb!
    And I love your drawings as well, they look like fashion house drawings!
    :D
    I love it all!
    :)
Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.