main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Obi Torture Index

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Cate, Aug 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Well, Denny, I think it all comes down to the fact that you only hurt the one you love. Obi-Wan was the character that caught my attention in TPM. My heart went out to him. And suddenly, I wanted to see him in danger. I wanted to see him in pain. These things tickled my stomach with excitement precisely because I cared about that character. I liked worrying about him--I wanted to worry about him! But of course I wanted everything to turn out all right in the end, too. If Obi-Wan had been killed or turned to the Dark Side, that would have put me off. I like the hurt and the comfort. The hurt gives me the thrill of suspense, I guess, and the comfort fulfils my desire to nurture and take care of vulnerable people.

Or something like that, anyway.

2. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Nicely put Jane :)

3. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    up to the top!!

4. TheFallen

TheFallen Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    We hurt him because after writing/reading about someone being electricuted, crushed, run over, and generally getting the crap beaten out of them...

Your bad day just doesn't seem so bad.

5. Marie_Kenobi

Marie_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 12, 2002
    And it's nice in my opinion to see the hero experience normal, everyday emotions and pain.

~Angst is goooood!~ :p

6. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
  7. Tahiri

Tahiri Jedi Master star 4

Apr 9, 2001
  8. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Wow it's been a while since I saw this thread...

9. Wild_Huntress

Wild_Huntress Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    I'm just posting to this to say thanks people, for trying to explain what the big fascination with torturing your favorite characters is. (And to get it on my list of posts in my profile so I can find more Obi-torture when I've had a lousy day..... I never said that.) Seriously, I'm as guilty as everyone else and I don't begin to understand it.

10. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    Hi. I just came upon this thread.
    Denny , it isn't that people like to torture Obi-Wan. It's just that Obi-Wan is a main character; and main characters are those who are hurt the most by the conflict on our stories.

My first fanfic story:
    Marks of Fire (Obi angst and torture)

PLEASE READ!!

Aunecah_Skywalker

11. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Well, Denny, I think there are actually different "flavors" of torture-fic, which seem to be written for different reasons.

Flavor 1: Hurt/Comfort. People sometimes like to vicariously give their favorite characters a good snuggle. Of course, for this to be any fun, the characters have to really need a good snuggle. That whole sobbing, embracing, tear-wiping Qui-Gon death scene just wouldn't have been the same if Qui-Gon had had, say, a hangnail instead. (QG-"I have . . . a hangnail." OW--"Nooo)!"

Flavor 2: "There are . . . FOUR LIGHTS!!" Sometimes excruciating pain throws a character's bravery or resourcefulness into sharp relief. "Sensitive warrior" characters in particular seem to be at their most appealing when they're in vulnerable-but-tough! mode.

Flavor 3: The psychological autopsy. One way to find out how something works is to break it and try to put it back together again. Many of us are curious about how the Jedi psyche "works." ;)

Flavor 4: Sadomasochism. Pain just does it for some people. 'Nuff said, really.

Flavor 5: "I have issues." Occasionally you get the sense that an author is working some personal problem out in his/her fiction. The result runs the gamut from very inspiring to very disturbing, depending on the author's skill and level of insight into the problem.

There are probably other flavors and combinations of flavors.

See? It's not all sick. :)

12. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    My flavor 3 Obi-torture fic:

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=8019963&replies=7

[face_devil]

13. Arldetta

Arldetta Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    Hmmm, It's hard for me to explain, why I write/read obi-torture but the only answer I can give is: I need it. PM if you want to know more. A few of us have even banded together to form OTA: Obi-Torture Anonymous. Anyone wishing to join is welcome. PM myself or Padawan Travina or go to our threads and post. ;)
    (I know posting defeats the purpose of anonymity but it's not like any of us really hide the fact we love Obi-torture anyway.)

Anyway, I thought I should include my fics since all of my stories are Obi-Torture. :D [face_devil] :D I would suggest going to my bio for the links.

14. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Arldetta!!! Interlude had no Obi-torture whatsoever. ;) [face_mischief]

Hmm. My story, Tainted Child, has Obi-torture in it, but you have to go through 90 pages or so to get to it. 8-}

15. Wild_Huntress

Jul 15, 2002
    Oooh.... Should I post links to my fics? (Which are posted under my other username?) They involve a lot of Obi-torture. [face_devil]

16. Arldetta

Jul 19, 2002
    obaona - So I have one that isn't Obi-Torture. oops. [face_blush] I forgot. But I figured the poor boy needed a break. ;) :D

17. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    I'm sure Obi-Wan thanks you. ;) :D

18. Cascadia

Cascadia Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Is this the JA index or only for fics with Obi-Wan tortured in them? If it's only for fics featuring torture, then could someone please direct me to the JA index? I already checked through the first twenty pages.
    :)

19. Arldetta

Jul 19, 2002
    Cascadia, I did a search and didn't find one. So as a result, I'll start one up for you. How's that sound? ;)

20. Cascadia

Cascadia Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Sounds great, Arldetta! Thanks! :)

Here's a link to the new JA index:

JA Index

21. Master_Comedy_Kitty

Master_Comedy_Kitty Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2002
    This one is mostly emotional torture. I've received numerous amounts of death threats from it. :p

Cringe

And might i add, I HIGHLY recomend Obaona's fic 'Tainted Child.' :D

22. Wild_Huntress

Jul 15, 2002
    Funny, I always saw myself as more of a Physical Torture kinda gal, yet here I am writing all this emotional angst. Although I do have a physical torture story that I have yet to translate and type. [face_devil]

I'll post the links (or attempts at links) anyway.

Torn: http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=8379160&replies=437

And some humorous torture....

Everything That Can Go Wrong I

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=8327824&page=1

Everything That Can GO Wrong II

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=9038808&start=9425252

23. Angel5000

Angel5000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Hey look!! One of MY fics is in that list!! (teach me to trust). Unfortunately the link doesn't work. Maybe I should repost it. I just love that story.... :)

Obi-Torture is the best. :)

24. freak-pudding

freak-pudding Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2002
  25. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    Thread reopened after it was automatically locked by the board system.

Boost.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.