main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Obi vs. Maul Best Fight So Far

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by gtafan44, May 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gtafan44

gtafan44 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2005
    The Last part, after Qui-Gon Jin has been stabbed, just a great fight scene. Im sure Obi vs. Ani in ROTS will blow this fight away but the whole fight was amazing.

2. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    Yeah Duel of the Fates was truly awesome.

3. Luke_Landwalker

Luke_Landwalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 26, 2005
    One of my favorite fight scenes (with a sword) in ALL movies.

4. Force-Keeper

Force-Keeper Jedi Master star 5

Jun 16, 2004
    It was a truly amazing fight that showed what the Jedi used to fight like in their prime compared to the OT. But the key word here is so far. ;)

5. cmbrown15

cmbrown15 Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2005
    The best part of TPM, for sure. I still think it's the best in the series, PT or OT.

6. Darth_Spartan

Darth_Spartan Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2005
    I agree 100 percent. I bought a new tv about a year ago and was very dissapointed with the sound on it, mainly the lack of base, especially with Lightsaber battles.

Anyway, I bought a whole Bose audio system, mainly to make my Star Wars movies that much better. Nothing beats watching Obi V Maul now.

7. Darthnidan

Darthnidan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2005
    To be fully honest, after the duel between Obi-Wan and Maul (which was incredible). I was very disappointed with Kenobi's performance against Dukku.

8. DarthSithLord

DarthSithLord Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2001
    LOL, ROTS Duels will own this one, but I still like that duel as well. (The Obi-Wan vs. Darth Maul Duel, that is.)

9. BosskMaul

BosskMaul Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 29, 2004
    I agree that the Maul vs Obi-Wan battle is the absolute best lightsaber duel of the entire series. The Qui-Gon vs Maul (at Theed) is my second favorite, followed by Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon vs Maul...you get the picture. Anything with Maul is gold.

I don't know if anything I see in ROTS can ever top that.

10. demented_gungan

demented_gungan Jedi Youngling

May 13, 2005
    I agree with Darthnidan

I was disappointed with Kenobi's performance against Dooku, ten years after he killed a Sith Lord with a double bladed lightsaber.

I suppose after seeing his master killed in TPM, he had a lot more anger/emotion to "fuel" his fight

11. Guy DuBlanc

Guy DuBlanc Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 12, 2000
    The general explanation I've seen is that OWK was exhausted by the time he had to fight Dooku. He really had been through an awful lot, especially the last segment in the Arena, handcuffed, fighting for his life against a zillion battle droids.

OWK knew he couldn't take Dooku, which is why he enlisted Anakin to help. And Yoda foresaw that neither of them would be able to defeat Dooku.

But yeah, I would agree that OWK was beat, tried, drained, and wasn't as well-rested as he was at Theed.

12. Morrato

Morrato Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2005
    My favorite and my worst. The end made Maul look like an idiot and severely cheapened Obi Wan's victory. Maul ,Obi ,and myself all walked away from that one losers.

As with the Dooku fight it wasn't one for them to win by themselves. The fact that they were tired is inconsequential. The battle was not theirs to win.

13. JediSteve30

JediSteve30 Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2005
    It is definitely the best part of TPM

I loved it.

14. Solo_So_Low

Solo_So_Low Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    ROTS has the best lightsabre scene. but TPM is a very very close 2nd. it is so well coreographed and fast paced - unlike AOTC

15. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    I say Anakin vs. Obi-Wan was the best. Obi-Wan vs. Darth Maul was far too short and I wouldn't consider it to be the best. Qui-Gon vs. Maul had more time and was better. Also Luke vs. Vader in ROTJ is one of my favorites.

16. tephjo

tephjo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 30, 2005
    Anakin Vrs Obi owned the Maul fight due to its emotional punch AND the fighting.

17. Ray_Stantz

Ray_Stantz Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 19, 2001
    The Anakin/Obi-Wan duel made the Obi-Wan/Maul duel look like slow motion.

18. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    I think the whole duel with maul in theed is probably my second or third favorite fight in the pt, and probably third or fourth overall.

19. Boba_Phat

Boba_Phat Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2000
    I definately think this is the best fight out of the PT, but I still think that Vader vs. Luke from TESB is the best in the saga.

20. Battlemaiden

Battlemaiden Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2005
    I call this a distant third behind The Duel and Luke vs Vader.

Call me crazy, but I thought the battle was dull. No real tension.

21. AmasNagol

AmasNagol Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2005
    Dooku's form is based around Saber vs Saber fights. It is understandable that he would hold his own easily against a less powerful jedi using a less graceful form. That Dooku was able to hold both Anakin and OB1 at bay for such a long period of time in both films shows his power and his skill and mastery of his form. I don't believe any other Jedi who made the big screen utilise Dooku's form 2 style.

I find it interesting how different exponents of different forms fare against each other. While I read many comments that Palpatine "let Windu beat him" in their saber duel, I don't think that is the case. He was simply a superior swordsman, just not as powerful in his mastery of the force as a whole.

22. JediVincent

JediVincent Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 18, 2005
    Anakin vs Obi-wan was the best. I also liked Mace vs Palpatine. (Mace owned-stupid Anakin)

23. Panaka_kicked_Padme

Panaka_kicked_Padme Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2005
    Obi wan vs Maul was too flashy. too much saber skills and not enough force. Anakin vs obi was really impressive. the camera angle shots were great. good talk going back and forth between them. Nothing beats Luke vs Vader in episode V

24. yoda_obi_luke

yoda_obi_luke Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2005
    I loved this scene so much. I don't think it was the best fight scene, but there was one part that I could watch a million times.
    When those force fields first go up and seperate darth maul and qui-gon (with obi wayyy back), Qui-gon turns off his lightsaber, sits down and meditates. Darth maul meanwhile is pacing on the other side, hitting the forcefield with his lightsaber, and Obi is way back, he's not pacing, but he's not sitting down either, he's standing waiting.
    I love this scene because it shows the difference between the dark side and the light side. It shows how Qui-Gon, the jedi master, is calm, Darth Maul, the sith, is angry and impatient, and obi, the padwan, is sorta inbetween. He's not yet patient enought to sit and meditate, but he's not angry or so impatient that he's pacing around.

I also love how they all turn their sabers on right before the force fields go down, it's such a cool small detail

25. zeekveerko

zeekveerko Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    the empire duel is still my favorite, but I think Yoda vs. Palpatine is my second fave. I really enjoyed the reaction shots of the emperor when he fought Yoda. that's one of the most enjoyable parts of the movie for me, whenever they cut to Palpatine making these hilarious faces, and then when Yoda throws the senate chair at him and he's just dying of laughter.

excellent work. awesome duel. cinematically. theatrically.

as far as choreography, Obi-Wan vs. Anakin is the best IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.