main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Obi-Wan-A Character Workshop: PT Obi and OT Obi: The Whole Package

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by obi_ew, Aug 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Hi everyone! I decided to begin this thread after a conversation I had with Red Rose Knight last night. We were discussing our thoughts on the character and both thought it would be fun and interesting to get views from others like us who write mainly Obi-centric fics. After passing it by Kit and getting her approval, I decided to get it up and going today.

Every two weeks I will put up a topic of discussion for us all to give our thoughts and views on. I encourage you all at any point to challenge, debate or question what someone else has written. Please do so in a kind and mature fashion. I beg you all to PM me with any ideas you would like to see explored!

We will also be offering challenges at different times. One suggestion was to write a short piece that explored his less stellar qualities. We intend to look at his flaws and weaknesses along with the good. This will also include our tendency to hero worship the character.

Writers of all periods are welcome, as long as you center mainly on Obi-Wan. I think this could be really fun and helpful if we can get enough people involved so tell all of your Obi loving friends! :)

Our first topic of discussion is:

What was/ are your impressions of the Original Trilogy Obi-Wan as played by Alec Guiness?

Author interviews index:

Posted June 15, 2004 Shaindl

Posted January 31, 2005 dianethx

Posted July 23, 2005 JadeSolo

[image=http://altair-rigel.com/TFN/obi_ew/obi_v2.jpg]

Thread creed: We are the Knights who say Obi! With this decree, we do solemnly and sillily declare that we shall first and foremost uphold all things Kenobi. And in doing so, we shall not confine ourselves to one source or one point of view. We shall combine different styles for maximum enjoyment for the masses. Let it be known, with the Jiggler Knights to defend our honour and the Geezers of Yore to chase us, we shall write, we shall read, and we shall drool. Not necessarily in that order of importance. Courtesy of the scintillating JadeSolo .

Advertising policy: Please keep in mind that this thread is an advertising-free zone. Links to off-site stories are against the TOS and FAQ. Furthermore, please don't post links to any stories at TFN, or ask for people to read your story or someone else's. If someone requests a link from you, send it through PM.

Obi-Wan Challenge Stories - Saga thread for posting Challenge entries.

Obi-Wan Challenge Index - Links to the Challenge Entries.

As requested by obi-ew, I'm locking this thread. :( :(

Leona

2. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    My favorite character from OT was Yoda, I didn't start to get interested in Obi-Wan's character until PT but I definitly agree Obi-Wan's character is one of a tragic hero. to me, his story is more important than what Anakin went through.

If Obi-Wan had told him straight out the truth when he was with him in the hutt, I really don't think Luke would have taken the news well.

And you have to remember, Obi-Wan and probably Padme decided earlier on that if Ben ever cam across Luke, to never tell him the truth about Anakin until it he was old enough and more mature to know the truth. So, in a sense, he wasn't just lying. He was protecting young Luke.

~aeryn

3. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Wonderful idea for a thread first of all, obi_ew. :D

I admit that I'm not too familiar with the original set of films. But I did watch ANH for the second time the other day. [face_blush]

Obi-Wan has a very graceful way about him, from the moment he removes his hood to the last, tired smile he gives before disappearing after sliced by Vader's blade.

I'll have to watch ESB and ROTJ before I can offer opinions on his character during those films. :D

But so far, the impression I have had of Obi-Wan's character is that he truly cared about his apprentice, and was still struggling with much difficulty to overcome his sorrow and guilt,even after all those solitary years. :(

Best Star Wars character, period! [face_love] (But I agree with you, obi_ew, Han's a nice second )

LE

4. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001
    Great idea, OE. 8-}

I have been a fan since ANH. I have always been fascinated with that scene in the cantina. Sure we have been told he was a Jedi knight (of course, back then no one really knew what a Jedi Knight was) but with a quick flash of blue then he just paused there, holding a laser sword and glancing about as if daring anyone else to step up. With such a powerful presence even in old age you had to know he was something in his younger days. Long before TPM (and continuing today) I have worn many copies of ANH thin watching the cantina scene over and over. :D It is one of my favorite scenes in all the movies.

I have never been too much into JA and TPM was just sort of the bounding board to jump back into the saga. I am more interested in Obi-Wan in the years leading up to AOTC and through the intertrilogy period.

His dedication to the Order is another thing that fascinates me. There are lots of temptations out there be they romantic, revenge oriented or just wanting to break away from the constraints of being a Jedi and no matter what happens, what Obi-Wan sees and learns, he still holds true to his beliefs.

If Obi-Wan Kenobi did not exist, I would still be writing about characters like him. It just so happens that Lucas created my ideal hero character. :)

5. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Hey OE! Great thread - kudos to you and Red for coming up with it.

I'll admit that I was seriously irritated by the fact that Obi-Wan hid the secret of Luke and Leia's parentage for so long, even though I understood his motivations. However, I always felt sad for him since I always thought about how hard it must have been to live for so long in the desert alone. You know the part where he climbs up to where Luke is lying after being bonked by the Tusken Raider? I always thought the way he moves made him look so old and weary and I always felt sad for him there. And when he calls after Luke when he knows what the boy's going to find back at the farm.

But I loved how he turned so calm and dangerous Mos Eisley. The dealing with the Storm Trooper, and then in the cantina. I love how he looks around after cutting that alien's arm off as if to say "Anyone else? I dare you." Now after having seen the PT, you can see the trace of youthful bravado and strength that Ewan brings to the part reflected in Sir Alec (or should that be the other way around? Ewan got it from Sir Alec? Or did George direct them both like that?).

One thing I'll be interested to see is how they bring Obi-Wan together with Chewie in Ep. III, since they don't act like they know each other in the OT. I know that's a little off topic, but it seemed like as good a place as any to write it down.

Great thread, I could go on all day. :D

Cheers,

Shaindl

EDIT: LOL, Red! We had some of the same thoughts! I was writing while you were posting, obviously - great minds, you know. And I agree - that's one of the best scenes in the entire OT. :D

6. Phoenix_Reborn

Phoenix_Reborn Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2003
    I loved that cantina scene too!

I always saw him as the true nobleman in the trilogy. He was chivalrous, mysterious, a little bit arrogant, and always seemed to have an air of sadness, as though he could never forgive himself for a mistake with the brats- even though it wasn't he who made the mistake. And yet, in his arrogance, he blamed himself for Bratty's fall- something the force ordained...there was truely nothing he could do about it and he never accepted that. He seemed like the type of man you could never hope to have because he was so much better than you. Not really innocent, but as though the dirt of the world couldn't touch him.

I could never imagine how such a man could live in the desert for years, and not be affected by the loneliness. Yet, somehow he did, and I think that in the end it made him the stronger man.

I always wondered just what he was thinking when/if he saw Luke and Leia kiss. I mean, and I realize that I'm being rather immature here, I always thought gross! and I assume that as he was watching over Luke then, he was always watching over him.

In ESB he seemed full of dispair- after Whiney had left, to me it looked like he had just given up on the galaxy...and rightfully so...Look who's running it these days...but I digress. Now as I look at it again, with what I know of the toilet paper movie and ATOC, I have to wonder why didn't he tell Luke about buckethead. I think the pain, even after all these years, is still there, from both buckethead's death...and how he raised Obi...but that's probably a different debate. I think he feels that since he "screwed up the galaxy" he has to fix it...which is why, ,I think, he insisted that the troll train him. I also think that he had a sense of humor and kindness, not in what he said but how he said it.

I don't really have much of an opinion in RTOJ(hears people cheering thinking she might shut up soon) because I think that Luke should have been more open minded and tried to learn more of what he had to teach him. He thought Luke could finally handle the truth... and he was right...

Alright- I've already said too much.

7. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    Shaindl: LOL, Red! We had some of the same thoughts! I was writing while you were posting, obviously - great minds, you know. And I agree - that's one of the best scenes in the entire OT.

[face_shocked] That's just scary!

8. astroanna

astroanna Jedi Master star 4

Jul 8, 2002
    I'll have to chime in, too, and say great idea, obi-ew, and thanks for letting me know about this!

:)

Well, I guess I'll have to start with the first time I saw ANH, which was when I was 14. Science fiction wasn't really interesting to me, but when the Original Trilogy was rereleased in theatres right before the Prequel Trilogy, my parents dragged me to see ANH. Now, of course, I'm glad they did... 8-}

Anyway, the first thing that really struck me was the scene in which Obi-Wan is explaining the Force to Luke. There was something so intriguing about the whole concept and how he explained it. By the time the Death Star scene rolled around and Obi-Wan gives Luke that look, you know the one, the look right before Vader swings his lightsaber, I was hooked. That look just seemed to sum up his entire life, as if he was saying "Finally, I can let go, I've done my job."

After I saw ESB and ROTJ, it seemed to me that Obi-Wan was forced to make a lot of very difficult decisions in his life, not all of which he was proud of, perhaps. In the end, though, he seemed to be a man of deep principles and dedication and the prequels, especially AOTC, only helped to reinforce that notion.

(Ewan's portrayal didn't hurt, of course! ;))

Alec Guinness really did do a marvelous job portraying Obi-Wan, though, because he gave a history to a character that didn't have one yet! In every gesture, in every line, there was something in the way he played Obi-Wan that told you this was a person who had lived and seen a lot. It's a testament to Ewan's talent that he was able to so seamlessly pick up the character Alec Guinness had made his own.

OK, I'm done now.... 8-} :)

9. Lady_Moonbeam

Lady_Moonbeam Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    Wonderful idea for a thread. This has really made my day, I know that.

My first impression of Obi-Wan in the OT was that he seemed like the perfect mentor figure for Luke--he always seemed to be the voice of wisdom, and I felt like he became, in a very short time, a kind of parental figure for Luke. Now that I've seen the prequels, I like looking back at ANH and watching his early interaction with Luke, because it seems to me that he's getting ready to step back into the shoes of being a Master to an uncertain, too-old apprentice, and there seems to be a whole new aura of the I've-done-this-before feeling, as if he is somehow amused by the process.

When he died, it was only then that I started thinking of him as a tragic hero and going back and realizing that he had sacrificed himself for Luke and Leia, allowing the twins to get away and have a chance to fulfill their lives and destinies. And that smile on his face seems like he is not necessarily glad to die, but that he is at peace. That he has been able to accomplish what he set out to do, and he could trust that everything was going to be okay.

And I was absolutely thrilled when he came back as a ghost, and then I started to feel sorry for him, because, despite the smile and the sacrifice in ANH, it was like he was not allowed to let go. He was prepared, and he thought that was it, but it wasn't--he hadn't really died after all. What he thought was his resolution really wasn't--not until Anakin turned back to the light and he stood with his old apprentice at Endor.

And I agree with everyone who says that the cantina scene is wonderful--it always comes as such a surprise, that this old man, seemingly so fragile, is a warrior, and someone to pay attention to. And it also seems to note his protection of Luke, which I always saw as a sign of affection and love, not just duty.

10. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Help! I got a desktop and am having troubles figuring it out! :p Obi-Wan gives Luke that look, you know the one, the look right before Vader swings his lightsaber, I was hooked. That look just seemed to sum up his entire life, as if he was saying "Finally, I can let go, I've done my job."
    Wow! That line really blew me away astro ! I think I may have actually teared up! Bravo! :D

11. Cascadia

Cascadia Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Thanks for letting me know about this, obi_ew. :)

I was six years old when ANH came out and must admit to being a little too young to understand everything that was happening in the movie. Young as I was, I was too taken in by all the action, the aliens, and the droids to notice much of anything else. But after countless viewings and a few years later, I became very impressed with Obi-Wan's complete and selfless devotion to the Force. Despite what he may have had to face, despite losing possibly everything, including his life, Obi-Wan allowed the Force to guide him for the greater good. He was like a grandfatherly figure, so serene and confident that he knew what he was doing, and that everything would turn out right in the end. He's exactly the kind of mentor I would love to have - except for when he spouted the 'a certain point of view' idea to Luke - but that's entirely something else. :) So, I guess, it's his spiritual nature that I admire the most.

12. CYNICAL21

CYNICAL21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    Great topic, oe - and I wish I had more time to respond in depth.

However - you know me - I can't resist the temptation to stir the pot, just a bit.

AHEM: "A certain point of view."

as opposed to: "Your focus determines your reality."

Anybody care to try to define the difference between these two philosophies - or - gasp! -is there truly any difference at all? [face_mischief]

CYN

13. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    despite the smile and the sacrifice in ANH, it was like he was not allowed to let go. He was prepared, and he thought that was it, but it wasn't--he hadn't really died after all. What he thought was his resolution really wasn't--not until Anakin turned back to the light and he stood with his old apprentice at Endor. :( Yet another beautiful view LM ! You guys are so eloquent!

As for your comment Cyn! Personally I say they are the exact same thing! Just the wiley old Jedi's clever way to cover his tracks! :D

To toss something else out there, I have always wondered what could have brought Obi-Wan and Anakin to the point at the end of ROTJ where they could stand and smile at one another? Their mutual love for the twins or something more profound? Discuss! :D

14. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    My kneejerk reaction to your question, Cyn, is to say there's no difference. But the longer my brain tosses it around, the more it's suspecting there's a difference. It just hasn't quite figured out what it is. :D

I don't have internet access on the weekends, so I don't want to get into an in-depth discussion on a Friday, but am more than willing to join battle on Monday or Tuesday when I get back (after I've had time to think about it more too!).

Cheers,

Shaindl

15. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    Obi Ew: Help! I got a desktop and am having troubles figuring it out! ? How are you doing with your new toy? :D

Cyn: However - you know me - I can't resist the temptation to stir the pot, just a bit. AHEM: "A certain point of view." as opposed to: "Your focus determines your reality." ? Leave it to Cyn to ask an evil question. :)

On a more writing question about Obi-Wan: What is everyone's favorite age for him and why? What are ways that you show Obi-Wan's youth and inexperience as a padawan, the brash and quick knight, or the sage old hermit?

D'OH! EDIT: Maybe I should have added my own thoughts to that question. 8-} I have to think about that first.

16. SobiFan

SobiFan Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2003
    Awesome thread :D Obi-Wan is a very complex character, and this will help us do a better job writing him, I know it!

Anyways... I always get sad when I think about Obi-Wan's life... I know he did alot for others, for the galaxy, but he seems so sad, and I feel so sorry for him. He always blamed himself for everything, and to considered himself a failure. I just want to cry thinking about it! He's amazing, but it's so sad when you think about it :(

*goes off to mope for Obi-Wan*

17. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Hmmm....*drums fingers against chin*

Interesting question, red. Of course, its wonderful to read Obi-Wan at any age, but writing is another thing entirely. I'd have to say 20-25. I like to describe the dynamic between Obi-Wan and his Master after they've been together for awhile, and show his emerging maturities and viewpoints. And, of course, it's great to be able to indulge in talking about his spiky auburn hair and chameleon eyes and muscular...

[face_blush] I think I should stop there. [face_laugh]

I think I was a little soured to the JA era due to the efforts of a certain author, who must have found Qui-Gon far more interesting than the character the series was named after. [face_eyeroll] I touch upon things like Bandomeer and Tahl, but I like to create most of the facets of Obi-Wan's past myself. :D

I've found that after starting 'Mists', and especially 'Eclipse', writing Obi-Wan as Anakin's Master is far more difficult...probably the most difficult character I've had to write. [face_shocked] I think there needs to be a balance between the reserved nature we see in the films, the dry humor, his tendencies toward guilt, and the weight of responsibility he carries due to his promise to the dying Qui-Gon. And I like to fill him in with some other traits as well, which is very hard, because I always fear he's veering way out of character. :_|

I've never tried, beyond some feeble attempts at poetry, to write older, Tatooine-era Obi-Wan. Although when I had a vignette archived at the ff.force.net, the cover was mysteriously an aged Obi-Wan, although that's not what I intended in the fic. :confused:

I think writers are venturing into Obi-Wan's character during his training of Anakin more than AOTC has been released. I know that I have. Maybe I enjoy writing Obi-Wan at a young adult age because I've been doing it far longer than any other time period. But I'll always prefer Qui-Gon to Anakin. Don't get me started on that. 8-}

18. Cascadia

Cascadia Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    CYN "A certain point of view." as opposed to: "Your focus determines your reality."
    Anybody care to try to define the difference between these two philosophies - or - gasp! -is there truly any difference at all?

I think they're the same thing. :)

red What is everyone's favorite age for him and why? What are ways that you show Obi-Wan's youth and inexperience as a padawan, the brash and quick knight, or the sage old hermit?

I guess I like writing him from 18-20. Anyway, that's the age I've mostly written him. I'm not sure why, except that I love stories where a young man faces adversity and rises above it, or at least survives it. I also love writing the master/apprentice relationship between he and Qui-Gon. I try not to make him seem too inexperienced, but make him somewhat reckless and defiant(when appropriate), polite and dutifully respectful of Qui-Gon and others, with a little dash of humor thrown in every so often. And I never write him as evil or dark; it's just not in him to be that way. BUT, I don't really go by any formula, just what seems right. It usually comes down to a scene-by-scene decision, because I don't want to write him out of character and sometimes an idea just won't work believably when you actually get there.

Great question, red. :)

19. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    *rubs hands together* hehe, this will be lots of fun. Thanks for starting this thread, OE! :D

In Elaine Cunningham's "Dark Journey" (from the NJO), there's this great line at the end, where Jaina's thinking about Jag, and it goes something like, she hoped to someday merit the friendship of someone who's gaze, like Leia's never seemed to swerve from the hero's path. That's what I see in Sir Alec's Obi-Wan. Here is a man who wakes up every morning probably wondering what he could have done differently and knowing he can't change the past, only save the future. He has known pain and suffering all his life, from being shipped off to Agri-Corps to being pushed aside for an untrained little boy to being the Chosen One's master (or just plain Anakin's master, for that matter) to spending years in the desert watching over the last hope of the Jedi and the galaxy, having essentially no allies except for Yoda, who's kickin' it in the swamps, living in fear and sorrow and guilt. And yet, despite having endured a life no one should ever have to endure, he still has hope and faith in the Force. ANH came out six years before I was born, but watching that scene where Obi-Wan sacrifices himself to let Luke, Han and Leia escape is, I think, one of the best scenes--even better than his "You wanna mess with ME? I didn't think so!" cantina scene. I gasp in shock EVERY time. By the way, one of my friends insists that Obi-Wan wasn't actually killed by Vader but that he made himself disappear! :eek: We actually watched that scene over and over again, and I kept telling her, look, if it appears that he just made himself disappear, that's only because the special effects weren't as good back then!

Sometimes Obi-Wan is such a hero in the OT that it's difficult to find faults, although I'm sure there are a few. Such as, when thinking about Vader, there's his whole "more machine than man" shpiel. But I like to think he's also remembering the "man" he loved like a son, and I'm sure it hurt a lot to tell Luke a slightly twisted version of the truth. I'm sure it also hurt to watch Luke leave Dagobah and know that he couldn't help should Luke face off with Vader--after all, Luke does have to learn that following through every vision he has is not always the best course of action (and really, there's only so much you can do for people when you're a blue spirit). I don't think he did anything wrong in not telling Luke about his father--had Luke known, 1)it would have been extremely hard for him to take, 2)he would have hated his father, 3)he probably still would've tried to confront him because of the simple fact that he, an orphan, now had a father.

I think Ewan Obi-Wan is starting to learn from his faults and show some of these heroic traits, especially in AOTC--he won't swerve from the path of a Jedi. Well, except for the occasional drink--hey, it's EWAN Obi-Wan! ;) Of course, being the straight arrow grates on Anakin, who wants to be cool and powerful like a Jedi but can't shoulder the tremendous responsibility that comes with it, which Obi-Wan has definitely learned to do (obvious in the OT).

Whew! That was a lot! Here's something else: I wish I'd had teachers like him--would've made school a LOT more tolerable.

Oh, and personally, I'm convinced that Obi-Wan didn't know about Leia, going by his line, "That boy is our last hope." Of course, we won't know for sure until E3 ;)

P.S.--I like to write Obi-Wan at ALL ages :D

20. Padawan_Jess_Kenobi

Padawan_Jess_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    What a great thread, obi-ew! Its about time the best character in the saga got a thread to himself. :D His life is so sad, though. He puts everyone's life before his, and cares about people so much that it hurts. :( I personally think his life is much more tragic than Anakin's, but this thread isn't for that purpose, so I'll stay away from the subject.

What is everyone's favorite age for him and why? What are ways that you show Obi-Wan's youth and inexperience as a padawan, the brash and quick knight, or the sage old hermit?

I love writing Obi-Wan as quite young, 14-26. His character isn't explored much at that age (except fort he JA books), and I like to think about what he may have done at that age. I love showing what a wonderful padawan he was- yet how much he was like a boy. I usually show his youth by having him love Qui-Gon like a father. I always try to show that in my fics. Also, I sometimes have Obi be slightly insecure. Quiet around his Master, like he's shy- or doesn't think he deserves him. For Obi-Wan's inexperiance, I just have him not be "perfect," just like you think he may be. I have him make some mistakes, even if he thinks he is doing the right thing. On the opposite track, I like to show Obi-Wan's wisdom a lot also. Even at such a young age as I write him, he always is wise. [face_love] :)

21. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    i'm so thrilled to see this is being so well received, and that some people I don't get to see very often are here! I think it will be a great way also to bring those of us who love this character but maybe don't write the same type of fics together! :)

Now to answer the question Red tossed out! I have written him at neraly every age possible. From two to OT age. It's hard to pick a numerical age, but I have to say that I most enjoy writing about him in his early stages as Anakin's master. So from 25 to 35.

I find it interesting to explore how unsure of himself he must have been at first, and watch as he slowly grows into his own skin and becomes comfortable with the title of master.

In the process of writing about the two, I have also ( prepares to dodge raw produce) grown to appreciate Anakin. :eek: Of course I write AU, so my Anakin is vastly different from the film version! ;)

It's just a shame that he is so often wasted by the so called professional writers. I'll stop now before I get us all in trouble! :D

Don't forget to PM me with any ideas you have for this thread. I'd really appreciate any help coming up with possible challenges for us to do. :)

22. KenobisGirl

KenobisGirl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    Wow, what an awesome thread! Thanks for starting this!

What was/ are your impressions of the Original Trilogy Obi-Wan as played by Alec Guiness?

When I first saw ANH at the age of five, Luke was my favourite character (me = young, easily impressionable). But as I got older, I started to like Obi-Wan even more. He was wise, noble, and self-sacrificing - a nice guy. ;) I think the way he alluded to the Jedi intrigued me. I wanted to know more about him and the other Jedi when they were in their prime. Plus, Alec Guiness just had this quality about him that you couldn't help but like him. :)

When he "lied" to Luke about his parentage, etc., I wasn't upset. I felt that he had a perfectly good reason to do so.

Heh, Han is a nice second, isn't he? :p

Okay, next question... :D

What is everyone's favorite age for him and why? What are ways that you show Obi-Wan's youth and inexperience as a padawan, the brash and quick knight, or the sage old hermit?

Well, I still write, but I'm not very confident in my abilities anymore, so I don't post. My favourite age for him is probably between 18-25. Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon's relationship in fanfiction is very strong by the time he's that age. I absolutely love stories where Qui-Gon is all fatherly toward Obi - but I do love the stories where he's a buckethead, too ;) - and it's just great to write/read about Obi-Wan when he's that age. Plus, when you picture how he would look around that age... Ahem... Probably shouldn't go there. :p

Once again, lovely thread. I will be hanging around here quite often, I can tell. :D

23. Neon Star

Neon Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2000
    I may be a tad bit out of place, though considering three fourths of my current stories are connected or centered around Obi-wan in some format or another, I hope not.

Very interesting topic, obi_ew, considering that there are so many views on Obi-wan, and how he is seen through the eyes of one person to the next. I applaud you for setting this up. J

I'm probably going a bit against the grind, but here goes. In reference to the beginning topic, Sir Alec's portrayal of Obi-wan has not truly struck me until I started trying to write OT Obi-wan. But to elaborate, the first time I saw the OT, I had no opinions, as it didn't take hold until after I saw TPM, then OT once more. At that point, I saw Obi-wan as more a betrayer, though for good intentions. In ANH, I took his presence only as Luke must have, as a mentor, and a last link to poor Luke's past, that was ripped away by a monster, only not to be fully lost. In ESB, I again gave little attention to Obi-wan, except that whenever Luke and he held a conversation, Obi-wan was always hiding something behind the glint in his ageless eyes, and the worn look in his face. It was ROTJ that made me hate him for a while, wondering how he could have changed from a quiet, reluctant young man in TPM, to a treacherous mask of a man that had set out to forge Luke's truly good heart into a weapon against Vader, who he had a hand in making, and felt enough guilt to correct it, even by using near dark side measures. I still hold that view to a point, though with seeing AOTC, I'm less venomous about it, and it gave me the opportunity to look back at OT and question things.

This time in ANH, I saw a fallen solider, lost in the tides of time and war, left without the structures he had clung to for so very long. The perfect Jedi had fallen to living like a hermit, protecting a child that they didn't even know would succeed. I deem he went slightly mad, after losing so many, after knowing his hands are just as stained as Vader's. That madness slowly slipped away when he took Luke and started his journey to escape, the Jedi reemerging from the broken remains slowly, taking control of a body that had aged, but was still up to the task of protecting his charge. He taught Luke the basics, and I believe, trusted in the Force to lead the boy the rest of the way, because he knew if he met Vader again, he was going to die. He didn't think to escape when confronted by Vader, and here is where the double edge still remains, he did sacrifice himself so the twins could escape, but he also did it to give Luke a spark from which to forge enough vengeance to strike Vader down when it was time. Then as a mentor at a distance unattainable to human flesh, always there, not always able to be perceived.

This led on to ESB, he is obviously still watching out for Luke, and has probably been teaching him, though indirectly, through the Force, as shown with Luke?s ability to call his lightsaber to hand. The boy may be brilliant, but he?s got to have some idea where to go. Obi-wan finally reaches his limits, and the time is running low, so he sends Luke off to Yoda. He knows of Leia, he doesn't trust her, as her temperament is much like Anakin's in the sense of anger, while Luke has his mother's sense of rage, thus he turns to Luke as their only hope. His own time by this point is running low, and he knows he will be joining the Force completely, thus why he can't help Luke when Luke goes to face Vader.

ROTJ: Still a twinge of anger, he admits he has been keeping things from Luke, but in doing so, he both redeems himself, and kills his plan. He knows Luke's heart isn't hardened against Vader, and by confirming Vader's statement; he shatters any hope that Luke will kill Vader, giving form to redemption instead. But with that, he redeems himself from the lies he has told Luke, because that is the ultimate sacrifice, either he ensure the galaxy's survival, or he trusts in the heart of a boy so like Anakin, yet so very different. The young Obi-wan would possibly haven't given Luke the chance, but this learned

24. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    First of all Neon no one is out of place here as long as they write about and have an interest in this character. :) Plus, I welcome anyone who adores Xan as much as I with open arms! [face_love]

Now to what you said. :eek: Wow! You have really given me a lot to think about, which is a good thing! I do wonder, and you can answer if you want, do you think your view of him is so different because the OT didn't effect you as deeply as some of us who are older? I just wondered if those of us who grew up more with the Prequel Obi view him differently then us old folks? Hum.

Something to ponder. I never made a connection in my mind between how some of his actions could have been more than slightly underhanded. Again I have to wonder if it has anything to do with which version I grew up with. * wanders off with brain racing * :D Brilliant Neon! This is exactly why I started this thread! :

25. Sabe126

Sabe126 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    This is a great thread! I always liked Obi-Wan as a character, due to Sir Alec's brilliant portrayal and the past that he very skillfully hinted at. But have to admit that became a huge Obi fan after seeing the Prequels.

I agree about the look on Ben's face in the cantina, he is daring anyone else to challenge him. The look on his face when he sees Luke and Leia together and realises that he has done his duty is so moving.

When he tells Luke about his father's death and pauses, before seeing Empire I always thought that he found it difficult to speak of what happened. Once I had seen Empire and Jedi it was easy to read into that look that he was deciding what exactly he should tell Luke.

The final scene in Jedi has always been moving but is especially more so now we have seen Obi-Wan and Anakin together in Clones.

Obi has appeared in all 4 of my fics and in all of them his age has ranged from early twenties to mid thirties.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.