main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Obi-Wan-A Character Workshop: PT Obi and OT Obi: The Whole Package

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by obi_ew, Aug 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aquas_Knight

Aquas_Knight Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 12, 2002
    Have been reading this fore a time.
    Great topics. and breaking my silence just for a little moment.
    The glare he gives Maul then he hanging down
    the pit And his eyes have a bit of triumph
    in them then he starting to draw the saber.
    So yes it`s bit bad boy in him. Hiding
    in that controlled glorious packet.

I think because of this he becomes more carfull in battle's, whose we can see the match between the two, plus dooku is using a different style. Yeah I was quite disappointed whit it to. But fore different reason.

Like oe I think he did walk away stronger
    more aware for emotions and understanding it better. It `s quite interesting to watch Tpm and Aotc after each other Qui-Gon have this air do that ever I say and I`m not interested in your opinion. Where else younger Obi-Wan are more Buddie attitude and struggling so much to get his Padawan to listen and respect him.

2. Calantha

Calantha Jedi Master star 2

Oct 25, 2002
    :) Interesting discussion! Mind if I join?

In AotC Obi-Wan barely seemed to be the same Jedi, because his fighting was so much more controlled. Some of it's obviously the ten years that passed, but also, maybe he was aware that he lost control, and he was afraid of that happening again. So he became more cautious afterwards. That could even explain why he lost to Dooku so quickly - he was holding back.

Sorry, no more time left...maybe more thoughts later.

BTW, how long is the writing challenge going on? I have an idea, but I'm in the process of moving, so I'm not sure when I can get it done.

Calantha

3. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Hi Calantha - I haven't seen you around for a little while! As to your question - hope you don't mind me responding on your behalf, OE - you can do it at any time you want - the more stories the merrier (to do some awful paraphrasing...).

Here's my less than two cents on how does Obi show his dark side: I've always thought that the "pathetic life forms" comment (even if joking) seemed a little callous, not in keeping with his usual sweet self. You'd think a Jedi would have more respect for life than that.

Responses? :D

Shaindl

4. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    I agree Aquas. I think Obi-Wan learned from his relationship with Qui-Gon. But I won't get too deeply into that because I want to tackle it down the road.

Welcome Calantha! I've decided not to put a close date on the first challenge yet. I know of several people who are still writing, so feel free to join in when you can! :)

Shaindl you know you can speak for me whenever! :)

I think that comment was a way for Lucas to show how young and reckless Obi was at that point. That way at the end of Menace or as JKH fondly calls it The Toilet Paper Movie , Obi-Wan's defeat of Maul and his sober attitude show how he is already turning into OT Obi. Just my thought!

5. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Toilet paper movie? [face_laugh] What?

I always thought Obi-Wan meant the "pathetic life form" bit as a joke and wasn't seriously calling people that, especially since he ran into lots of weird beings on missions. Then again, upon first meeting Jar Jar, he said, "What's this?" [face_plain]

6. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    can you blame him? :D Course I thought one of the best scenes in that film was when they were in the bongo and Jar Jar is going on about Maxi big this Force! Well that smells stink of it! The way Ewan looks over at him is priceless! [face_laugh]

7. Happy_Hobbit_Padawan

Happy_Hobbit_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Obi-Wan's dark side. An interesting topic. I have some thoughts, but before I go into too much, obi_ew can you give the lines from the TPM novel that describe Obi-Wan as he cuts down Maul? I haven't read it, but it seems that those two parts you already mentioned - hanging by his fingernails and then going to Qui-Gon - are linked by something that would hint at him using the dark side.

Just from the movie (TPM) I would say that Obi-Wan doesn't use the dark side in killing Maul. When he's hanging by his fingernails in the shaft, as he begins to call Qui's lightsaber to him, the music plays the "May the Force be with you" theme. Somehow I can't see him using the dark side in that moment; the music is a Jedi triumph sort of thing, I think.

When I first saw the movie, I never thought of him using the dark side in that fight. Only after I began reading fan fiction did I realize some people had interpreted it that way. (I still consider myself something of a SW newbie, in that I'm not as knowledgeable as a lot of others here). But certainly Obi-Wan appeared angry after Qui-Gon was killed. But does that mean he used the dark side? I'm not sure. Doesn't Yoda say something to the effect, "once you start down the dark path forever will it dominate you destiny"? Wouldn't that mean if he used the dark side even once he'd be condemned to darkness? Hmmm. I guess there's a difference between acting on simple anger and the dark side. :confused:

And I'll show my somewhat newbie status again, but what's Star Wars Insider? [face_blush]

8. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Star Wars Insider is the official Fan Club magazine. You can buy it off the shelf also. Here's what the novel says about the actual kill.

Darth Maul whirled to confront him, shock and rage twisting his red and black face. But before he could act to save himself, Qui-Gon's lightsabre slashed through his chest, burning him with killing fire. The stricken Sith Lord howled in pain and disbelief.

Then Obi-Wan turned, thumbed his saber off, and watched his dying enemy tumble away into the pit.

I think at some point lucas decided to change this and had Obi-Wan kill in anger. I'll try to find that issue of the magazine today where they talk about kills and fighting techniques.

Off shopping! :(

9. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Man! This place is quiet! :(

Well Shaindl has another idea for the second challenge and I want to get your thoughts and opinions on it!

What if you get permission to use another authors Original Character and write a scene/vignette/post, with them and Obi? Could be a lost scene from the actual fic they appear in, or maybe their POV of a scene? Can be something completely a creation from your own mind. Their thoughts on him?

What do you guys think? :)

10. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    I like it! Not only is there the challenge of writing someone else's OC, there's also the challenge of correctly interpreting that character's reaction to Obi-Wan. And there are so many great OCs out there--time to let them have a little of the spotlight :)

11. Sheila

Sheila Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2002
    Sounds like an excellent idea oe. Like Jade said, we would have to interpret both the OC and their view of Obi-Wan from whatever universe we plucked the OC from. It would also be very interesting for the creator of the OC to see how they are viewed by others.

12. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    At last! :D The Obi workshop lives! [face_love]

I probably wouldn't write someone else's OC, because I'd be too scared I'd screw it up, but I'd certainly enjoying reading the wonderful vignettes that everyone would produce! :) Wonderful idea, Shaindl.

13. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    I probably wouldn't write someone else's OC, because I'd be too scared I'd screw it up Really?

I can say with all honesty, that if someone asked to do an entire fic with one of my OC"s, I'd have to say no. I wouldn't have a problem with them using them for this since it is a one shot thing. Like Sheila and others have said, I would want them to try to stick as close to my version as possible, which would be part of the challenge.

Example being, I wouldn't want Desimir or Jivan donning a dress and chasing Anakin around! :D

14. Phoenix_Reborn

Phoenix_Reborn Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2003
    uh...nevermind...

15. Sheila

Sheila Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2002
    Example being, I wouldn't want Desimir or Jivan donning a dress and chasing Anakin around! :eek:

Damn, I guess I'll just have to come up with another idea. ?[face_plain]

[face_laugh]

EDIT:

I probably wouldn't write someone else's OC, because I'd be too scared I'd screw it up, but I'd certainly enjoying reading the wonderful vignettes that everyone would produce! :eek:

I hope you might reconsider LE, your writing is among the best on these boards and I for one would miss your input. :(

16. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    I agree completely Sheila! You LE I know would treat them with care and respect. I'm sure any writer would be honored to have you tackle their OC's. :)

17. Darth_Leia_6669

Darth_Leia_6669 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2003
    I like the idea, but I have to agree that writing someone else's OC would be intimidating. But I'll think about it.

--later--

18. Phoenix_Reborn

Feb 23, 2003
    *thinking of all the fun that could be had from the Crion or Khalid side of the force...*

O-E would the story have to be able to go on the boards?

19. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Good morning all,

Thought I'd throw in my two cents here, considering it was my idea... :D

Having written another person's OCs before (thanks OE!) I know it can be intimidating, but the authors who have created OCs will likely be more than willing to let you use their creations. If not, or if they're worried about the interpretation of their characters, they have the ability to say no - and I'm sure we can all agree there would be no hard feelings on either side. An OC can be a very personal thing, and it's completely understandable if somebody doesn't want it written by somebody else.

My reason for suggesting this challenge was to give people who have never written an OC before a chance to practice with one that is already established and for those experienced with OCs a chance to explore somebody else's work to see if they can write in another style. Personally, I think this is a pretty safe challenge to explore an OC you like - not only do you have to get permission, you should send it to the creator of the OC for their approval before posting it. That way if you've done something horrifically wrong (which I'm sure none of us would, but better safe than sorry) it will be caught before it goes up.

Now, all that being said, I need to add my voice to the chorus and beg LE to take a shot at someone's OC. You're soooo talented - we'd all be thrilled to have you write one of our characters (in case you missed it - that's subtle permission for you to use one of mine if you want... :D )

Cheers,

Shaindl

20. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Listen to Shaindl you all should hum?! :D DL, you are already great at OC's so I don't know why you need to worry about mishandling someone elses. And Birdie, I'm afraid it does have to be board friendly, so you may not post that little Des/Ani idea you had! ;)

As for you LE, I can almost guarantee that Red, Cyn, froggy, Shaindl or anyone else, would be overjoyed to see your take on their baby! :)

I think it sounds fun! Course then you have to decide what character you want to tackle! :eek:

21. Darth_Leia_6669

Darth_Leia_6669 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2003
    Thanks for the vote of confidance o-e! I'll still have to think about it, but maybe I can come up with something really twisted. I may have to borrow either Shai or Jivan though. ;)

--later--

22. Phoenix_Reborn

Feb 23, 2003
    hm...

But they'd make such a cute couple...kinda a Harry/Draco thing, but in the starwars universe.

23. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Bottom of page two! :eek: I won't stand for it! :mad:

Okay guys! I say we go with the new challenge! Decide on an OC from a story or author of your choice, PM that OC's creator and get permission to use the OC in a posty. I like Shaindl's idea of having to send the author the post before you put it up. This may take some time to get organized so no rush. :) Get to creating! :)

24. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001
    Ugh, here I am trying to get caught up and you go and make it a difficult challenge. Hmmm, will have to think on this. :D

Good thing there is a lot of time on this. ;)

25. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Jeez, I'm still working on the first challenge...LOL. I told you it takes me a long time to write. Well, be that way!! I look forward to seeing what everyone is writing and what OCs they choose....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.