main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Obi-Wan & Anakin #1 (of 5)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthTalgus, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    They're supposed to be, anyways.

Episode 1 and 2 made clear they're limited to serving the failing Republic.

2. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    The never weren't servants of the Republic philosophically, but Episode II actually brings up the relationship between the Jedi and the Republic as a possible point of tension.

3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The Jedi should have at least considered being neutral in The Clone Wars. That they didn't, despite originally thinking of Dooku as a political idealist, was yet another factor that shows how biased they were to the Republic. The Jedi just didn't want to be soldiers.

4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I actually wonder if Dooku intentionally exposed himself as a Sith to trigger the Jedi's OMF DARK SIDE button and make sure they picked a side in the war.

5. CnlSandersdeKFC

CnlSandersdeKFC Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2015
    I loved Dark Times... I mean look at my pic. That said, I haven't been disappointed with what they've been doing over at Marvel the past year either.

6. Rou-eru

Rou-eru Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2013
    Sucks that this is only gonna be a miniseries. Great first issue.

Darkslayer likes this.
  7. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015
    I picked this up on a lark and loved it. It's the closest in tone from the new Marvel books to the amazing Dark Horse runs, and I'm hooked! Hopefully they get more than one mini-series for these two.

8. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    Well this comic certainly takes out the "in theory", "life-threatening" and "edge of his authority" parts.

9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    So, is this very much a non-life threatening situation, an internal politics affair, and the Senate/Supreme Chancellor acting like they have full control?

10. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    We don't know much about the mission they are sent on but the flashback includes Palpatine asking Mace to let him take Anakin in his care, and upon encountering resistence him telling Mace the business and Mace then folding straight away.

11. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    There's also the implications in Anakin and Obi-Wan's discussions of the role of the Jedi in the conflict that devastated the planet, namely that the Jedi should have done more but couldn't "because of the system."

12. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    When Anakin changes the appearance of the training droid. What is he "klk"ing? Something in his pocket? Up his sleeve?

"Are you opened or closed?" What do you we think this means?

Also I've never heard the expression "green hells" before reading this comic. Anyone know the origin of the expression in and out of universe?

13. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    • An old expression for dense inhospitable tropical jungle

14. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Gorefiend, I read that on Wikipedia as well. I was just curious if anyone had heard the expression before a) in real life and b) in other Star Wars mediums. The expression doesn't make sense to me as the native from Carnelion IV appears to be on a planet made of ice and junk.

15. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Pretty often actually

Might not always have been, given that they had what looks like a really bad war, maybe they got themselves an ice age going in it.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  16. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Let's make sure we keep the list of K names in the new canon (kanon) updated:

Kaller - a planet that Kanan visited when Kanan was both young and old(er)
    Kallerans - citizens of Kaller, green looking creatures, look like a cross between a lizard and a cobra
    Kanan - the last padawan that used to be named Caleb Dume
    Karabast - an exclamation of frustration
    Kardoa - planet where Caleb will have first mission with Master Billaba and Commander Grey and Captain Styles
    Kasmir - last name of Janus, the Kalleran who befriends Caleb
    Kleeve - a general that looks like a devil with cybernetic left eye
    Kolara - friendly green haired young woman from the planet Carnelion IV (Obi-wan & Anakin #1)
    Kreel - Sergeant working for Vader aka his Fist (Star Wars comic)
    Krell - General Jedi turned Sith during Clone Wars, looks like Dex Jettster (Clone Wars TV show)
    Kyber Crystal - part of a lightsaber

:D

17. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I liked how Anakin seems to be already thinking about leaving the order at such an early stage. It seems as if he expected to be a "quick and easy path" but now probably just wants to use what he's learned to go back and free his mother ;)

18. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    Main story so far is not that interesting.. although flashbacks of his training on Coruscant is really good! I'm definitely more interested in this!:)

19. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    So I just picked this up today. I really liked it! It's a great sort "transition" look at how Obi-Wan and Anakin's relationship developed between TPM and AOTC. This series is definitely going in my personal canon.

La Calavera likes this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    this was an interesting read because there's clearly a pretty fancy mystery going on here, the Lando mini had a good mystery in it too so I'm excited to see what happens. That last page set up a lot of possibilities. The art is pretty grand AND we got a type of steampunk vibe of the technology. And the flashbacks to Chancellor Palpatine watching Anakin with Great Interest should prove to be compelling. Check out the Chosen One taking two lightsabers and igniting them just to make a point. Fancy, Anakin!

darklordoftech and La Calavera like this.
  21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    And, given how that turned out for them, they were right to be, weren't they?

I'd see that as a certainty - part of the Clone Wars was to destroy the Jedi, you can't use them to do that without Jedi involvement and Jedi, at this point in time, see the Sith as the dark-side's pre-eminent form of evil, so priority numero uno.

For now... If sales are good, it could see a second series.

22. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Lovely first issue. Both Obi-Wan and Anakin's portrayals are great, though Obi-Wan feels a lot older than what I would have imagined him to be like during this time period (and the artwork also makes him look older).
    I love the new planet, love the steampunk vibe, the artwork there was great. Interesting that the inhabitants seem to be ignorant about the Jedi. It's a big galaxy after all.
    Also enjoyed the flashback scene at the Jedi Temple. Palpatine preying on young Anakin was creepy and awesome to read.

23. CnlSandersdeKFC

CnlSandersdeKFC Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2015
    Ehem... Kylo Ren. Careful he doesn't find out you forgot him, otherwise you might need a new TV.

Iron_lord and spicer like this.
  24. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    I wonder if we'll see more of Anakin's early training at the temple in the other 4 issues like they did with Issue #1.

25. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    How's this series so far? I've been meaning to come back and ask here.