main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Obi-Wan and Anakin Friendship

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SithMan1138, Apr 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithMan1138

SithMan1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 1, 2005
    In ANH, Ben says that Anakin and him were close friends. He says how they were always happy and never mad about eachother. After some time at watching the prequels, I realized that in AOTC, they had a bad realationship. They bickered and always got on eachothers nerves. In TPM, there was no real realationship at all. Maybe Ep.III will show us this great friendship, but were is it? Was Ben just making up storys?

2. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    The elevator scene was supposed to show that Obi-Wan and Anakin had a very friendly connection in the years between TPM and AOTC. The fact that things got tense from there is understandable. The assassination attempt on Padme was a stressful situation for the Jedi.

:cool: Mace Windy,
    too windy for spoilers!

3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    SithMan1138 posted on 4/4/05 2:28pm
    In ANH, Ben says that Anakin and him were close friends. He says how they were always happy and never mad about eachother.
    [hr][/blockquote]

He says no such thing. He says they were good friends, that's all. I think Ewan McGregor explained it best when he said he saw them as good friends who had spent too much time together. There's the added strain of the father/son and older brother/younger brother aspect. People who are close fight much more than those who aren't. Plus, Jedi seem to spend all of their time in their Master/Padawan pairings during that time. Of course there are going to be tensions, moreso in their case because of circumstances.

But none of this means they weren't friends. I thought we saw in AotC that they both cared for the other one as a friend/family member, but that they were definitely butting heads over certain things.

[hl=tan][color=darkred][b]-sj loves kevin spacey[/hl][/color][/b]

Ezon Pin likes this.
  4. Darth_Pogey

Darth_Pogey Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    A friendship between them was pretty well established in Episode II. So Ben wasn't lying. Most good friends bicker alot anyway.

5. SithMan1138

Feb 1, 2005
    I know. But it seems that they are always argueing. I just think it's weird. Hopefully ROTS will explain this.

6. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Or you could read what I said.

-sj loves kevin spacey

7. Darth_Pogey

Apr 4, 2005
    Also I think they become better friends during the Clone Wars. If you haven't seen them yet you should. Go rent volume 1 on DVD.

8. SithMan1138

Feb 1, 2005
    I've got the Clone Wars and I can see the freindship. I was hoping for the movie to show.

9. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Obi-Wan never said jack squat about he and Anakin never being mad at each other. That's not what friendship is about in the least bit. Friends have disagreements from time to time, just like anyone else. In truth, Anakin and Obi-Wan had become good friends, no matter of their disagreements. They had been through a lot, and saved each other's backs countless times. And as a few others have said, even the greatest of Jedi had disagreements during the prelude and even in the years of the Clone Wars.

10. Lord_Smith

Lord_Smith Jedi Youngling

Apr 4, 2005
    Is clone wars a cartoon?

11. Deeysew

Deeysew Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    I've heard that there're signs of good friendship in RotS during the big opening action sequence before sith hits the fan. That tacked-on elevator scene wasn't what Obi was talking about.

12. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    And keep in mind, how *you* intepreted it isn't what's important. It's how Obi Wan Kenobi is going to view Anakin that is important to the screenplay. Besides, Obi Wan and Anakin share a fairly typical father/son relationship in AOTC. They care for each other, but they naturally butt heads as Anakin begins to stretch and develop outside of the boundaries each is used to...especially considering how rebellious he is. Let's be honest - Anakin isn't an easy kid to handle, and it serves as a testament to Obi Wan's patience that he managed to get Anakin through his knighting. Despite all this, Anakin does love him - says it flat out in the AOTC novel, and if the rumors prove true, he has a line similar to it in ROTS.

Once Anakin is knighted and all that stress and frustration is behind them, they're more "on par" with one another. Instead of feeling like the kid who's being held back, Anakin is now more like the son who's grown up, gone to college, and come back an accomplished young man. The relationship is more friendly, even though we still see signs of strain here and there. Outside of that, friends fight. It's natural, and really, a true friendship should have conflicts - friends should work off of one another's flaws and try to improve each other where they can.

Finally, please keep in mind the person to whom Obi Wan is speaking. If you're talking to the son of your "deceased" former friend, you're not going to drill him with the details of everything that led up to the relationship you had later on. It's not going to be like, "Oh, your father drove me to drinking when he was young, and we constantly argued over his tendency to misbehave. He also had this really irritating habit of being a completely jackass at times. And he betrayed and deceived me sometimes. But, really, we cared for each other. Really."

13. Darth_Pogey

Apr 4, 2005
    Lord Smith, Clone Wars is a set of animated shorts that were aired on the cable channel, Cartoon Network.

14. DarthMyBoy

DarthMyBoy Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2003
    Ewan McGregor said it best....

They were two friends who spent way too much time together

15. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Darth_Pogey posted on 4/4/05 8:05pm
    Lord Smith, Clone Wars is a set of animated shorts that were aired on the cable channel, Cartoon Network.[hr][/blockquote]

True, but I thought it was quite obvious I was talking about the Clone Wars as in the wars that started in [i]Attack of the Clones[/i].

16. Darth_Pogey

Apr 4, 2005
    It's techniclly star war's fault that I'm stupid. Always watching Star Wars and never studying.

17. Darth_Pogey

Apr 4, 2005
    I'm lucky I learned me how to type

18. bswb

bswb Jedi Master star 1

Dec 2, 2000
    Ewan McGregor has stated that in ROTS, the Anakin/Obi-Wan relationship finally gets to truely mirror the friendship Ewan and Hayden have off screen - at least until the dark side creeps in. If you've read Labyrinth of Evil or seen Clone Wars Season 2, then you'll see the relationship shifts quite a bit after Anakin is knighted. Once Anakin stops being a padawan and is on equal footing with Obi-Wan, their friendship is more friendly jabs and teasing.

Both CW and LOE were written with specific ROTS plot points kept in mind - hopefully, one was the Obi-Wan/Anakin relationship.

19. KennyT

KennyT Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 25, 2005
    Even Anakin admits in AOTC that ObiWan is like a father to him. I believe ObiWan sees them as good friends, and does not realize what a nag he is to Anakin, and how we, as Anakin does, can see it as sometimes talking down to him or belittling. This is not ObiWans intent, I just think ObiWan is trying too hard as he wants so badly to be as good of a mentor as QuiGon.

So, yes ObiWan sees it as a friendship, while Anakin does to an exctend, but the Master Padawan relationship clouds the friendship.

20. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Your focus determines your reality. That's all I have to say.

Qui-Gon Jinn was a very wise man
    /LM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.