main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Obi-Wan and Luck

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DemoShadow, Mar 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DemoShadow

DemoShadow Jedi Youngling

Mar 12, 2003
    In "A New Hope" Obi-Wan Kenobi says to Han Solo "In my experience there is no such thing as luck." Really, Obi-Wan?:

Apprentice Obi-Wan faces Darth Maul, who is fighting with a double-bladed saber and wins. Before the finish, Maul pushes him back and Kenobi manages to cling to a single object to hold onto, in the exact place he fell.

In AOTC Obi-Wan is struck in the arm and in the leg by Dooku, neither attack maming him. Dooku starts to finish Kenobi, but he is saved by Anakin's blade in the nick-of-time.

He survives Episode 3.

2. Jovieve

Jovieve Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    Possibly.

In TPM, Obi-Wan managing to grab onto an abutment - or anything - that was jutting out into the pit could be luck - it could also be just coincidence.

Anakin saving Obi-Wan's life in the Dooku fight in AOTC, luck? How is that lucky? Anakin PUT Obi-Wan in that situation. IMHO that's Anakin doing what he was SUPPOSED to be doing - helping Obi-Wan in a fight - not lucky.

3. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat Jedi Youngling

Feb 9, 2003
    In a galaxy with the reality of the Force wouldnt luck and coincidince be the will of the Force? of course Obi's a Jedi so he would see it as such.much the same way religeous types attribute fate to the will of God.

4. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Exactly. I believe in chance, the will of God, and the will of man (which is also in line with Satan's will).

Obi-Wan does not blieve in luck, but in the will of the Force. Simple as that.

5. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    Well, in the case of the Darth Maul duel, Obi-Wan just outsmarted him. In his duel with Count Dooku, it was Dooku being arrogant that gave time for Anakin to save his life.

6. MrMan77

MrMan77 Jedi Youngling

Feb 24, 2003
    "Obi-Wan does not blieve in luck, but in the will of the Force. Simple as that."

Indeed...Obi Wan is not telling Han that he hasn't gotten out of some tough scrapes for reasons other than his own abilities, he is saying that the force guided him out of them. :)

7. metaforcesaber

metaforcesaber Jedi Master star 2

Oct 13, 2002
    "...many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our point of view." -Kenobi

Any specific event in the SW films is open to multiple interpretations, both by the characters and the audience. For instance, I would interpret Obi-Wan's "In my experience there's no such thing as luck" statement as an allusion to fate and destinty, not as a view regarding 'the Force vs. luck.' Some Jedi are capable of seeing the future. If they foresee the 'correct' future, or the future that actually occurs, then that foreseen future is thus predetermined (okay, I just like saying "thus"). Predetermination is a component concept of fate and destiny.

8. Padawan_Jess_Kenobi

Padawan_Jess_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    Anakin saving Obi-Wan's life in the Dooku fight in AOTC, luck? How is that lucky? Anakin PUT Obi-Wan in that situation. IMHO that's Anakin doing what he was SUPPOSED to be doing - helping Obi-Wan in a fight - not lucky.
    I agree. It *was* Anakin's fault Obi-Wan was in the situation all alone! And Obi-Wan isn't helped along by luck. He is helped by the Force. If the Force had wanted Obi-Wan to die in TPM, it would not have let Obi-Wan cling to the knob thingy. And Obi-Wan did not have luck in other situations, he was merely aided by a strong power! :D

9. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    What I want to know is how an energy field can have a will. :p It has no mind, no personality.

10. starwars6554

starwars6554 Jedi Master star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    It was the will of George Lucas ;) :p

Obi Wan couldn't die. Or else the following episodes would't make much sense ;)

Seriously though, I think Obi Wan thinks that it's only the will of the force that kept him alive all those years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.