main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Obi-Wan and Palpatine - father figures for Anakin?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by DamonD, May 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Someone pointed out that Anakin saves Obi-Wan in AOTC by blocking Dooku's blade.

In ROTJ, Vader does a very similar thing when he saves Palpatine from Luke's strike.

Even though Anakin has some issues with Obi-Wan, he still looks up to him like a father and will fight to the death to protect and help him.

Palpatine seems to fit into this mold as well. Ep2 will shed much more light on this, but after his near-death he is rebuilt and aided by Palpatine. Despite the chilling of their relationship between ESB and ROTJ, and Vader's thoughts about his son, he still wants to help and protect Palpatine.

So, do you think there are parallels here between Obi-Wan and Palpatine, with both acting as father figures for Anakin?

2. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    I actually think Anakin did both things because he believes there should be a certain order to everything. He just feels like, as the apprentice, he HAS to fight his masters' attackers to the death. He's always had someone over him, and so he's brainwashed to believe that there ALWAYS has to be someone over him, and he likewise believes there should be someone under him, who should be over someone else, etc.

Or at least that's the way it is with Palpatine. With Obi-Wan I think it's that, with a mix of love. He does care about Obi-Wan, but I don't think that's the main thing that drove him to defend him.

In any case, I don't see many parallels between Obi-Wan and Palpatine. In fact, I believe they are the complete opposites of each other. Both are very intelligent, but Palpatine uses his intelligence to manipulate everyone, whereas Obi-Wan uses his to protect. Both are pretty powerful, but Obi-Wan uses his to protect, whereas Palpatine uses his to attack. And in both of those instances, Palpatine is way ahead of Obi-Wan.

So the only real parallel I see between them is that both are Anakin's master.

3. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Heh, I was actually going to write a huge article about Palpatine/Obi-Wan as father figures for Anakin, and possibly include Watto & Qui in there as well. ^_^;

I completely agree he sees them as father figures; like his son, he seems to seek them out...

4. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    I'd be interested in that, Sophita.

Obi-Wan and Palpatine are very different compared to each other, but in terms of how Anakin reacts to them there are similaries. The Vader/Palpatine relationship is like a twisted version of what he had with Obi-Wan.

5. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Again, I think that's largly due to the fact that he not only needs a father, but a master as well.

But I do agree that he sees Obi-Wan as a father-figure.

6. Lightsaber_Style8675

Lightsaber_Style8675 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 1, 2003
    I think Vader stopped Luke's blade because he knew HE had to kill palps, not luke, he's the chosen one not luke. As for stopping Dooku's blade that just shows anakin's true feeling for Obi- Wan. That he really loves him as a father, but not for much longer Heh heh heh!

7. JKBurtola

JKBurtola Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 4, 2003
    I think Obi-Wan is more of a Big Brother to Anakin than a father.
    Whereas Palpatine is the father figure.

Obi-Wan teaches him, and is very much like a best friend to Anakin, yet Obi-Wan doesn't really nurture the boy and help him with his difficulties. He relys too much on his lectures with Anakin.

Palpatine on the other hand, is very manipulative, he gives Anakin advice (which contradicts Obi-Wan) and is essentially nurturing the boy, giving him ideas and praising him, thereby capitalising on Anakin's weaknesses and exploiting them.

I don't think there are any clear parallels to the two mentors but rather that they are at opposite ends of the teaching scale, which is why Anakin is such a confused young man in AOTC.

EP3 will definitely clear more of the Anakin - Palpatine relationship and we'll begin to see what differences/parallels are between Obi-Wan and Palpatine in their teachings towards Anakin.

8. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Interesting thoughts from everyone, thanks.

9. Darth Kruel

Darth Kruel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Palpatine is the soothe sayer, the smooth talker that Anakin listens to when things aren't going his way.

Obi-1 is more of a father because Anakin said so, not once but twice in AOTC. Obi-1 lectures him, scolds him, praises him, and watches over his training to the best of his abilty. He knows Anakin was trained late and he has to be extra careful in training Anakin.

Palpatine knows this too and know the way the Jedi do things. He knows that Anakin will gripe and moan and be impatient, first signs of a potential Sith apprentice.

Palpatine is more of a friend and Obi-1 is more of a father. But in the end, Anakin chooses Palpatine over Anakin simply because Palpatine can give him what Obi-1 won't.

10. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Palpatine is stringing Anakin, the Republic, and just about everyone along so well, he's getting close to Lando in terms of being smooooov.

11. Modernism

Modernism Jedi Master star 1

Feb 19, 2003
    Palpatine is a twisted pathetic excuse for a lifeform.

He is feeding Anakin's ego - not for Anakin's own good, either. While praise and encouragement are beneficial for growth, people also need someone to tell them the truth about themselves.

Obi Wan and Padme are frank with Anakin: "you're not all powerful" "you still have much to learn."

Obi Wan is acting in Anakin's best interests, whereas we know Palpy is just out for himself, his power, his own good. To use Anakin.

So Vader's saving of Luke is really a testament to Obi Wan and all he worked for - all those years of being a young master teacher to this chosen one, and the long years in the desert waiting for the son to grow up. <sniff> It's not easy being Anakin's master teacher.

12. ogilbyb

ogilbyb Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2003
    Obi Wan and Palpatine are both Father figures to Anakin indeed but other then a few parralels they have completly different approaches. Obi Wans is good intentioned while Palpatines is evil intentioned. Ironically Anakin sees Palpatine as the perfect father figure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.